Strategy for Prevention of HIV-1 Transmission
Saori Matsuoka and Teturo Matano
AIDS Research Center, National Institute of Infectious Disease, 1-23-1 Toyama, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo 162-8640, Japan
HIV-1 infection results in persistent viral replication progressing to AIDS. Recent advances in antiretroviral therapy have been expected to contribute to decrease the risk of viral transmission from HIV-1-infected people under therapy as well as their better prognosis. Precisely understanding of virological and pathological features of HIV-1 infection is important for preventing viral transmission via sexual intercourse or accidental exposure including iatrogenic infection and for avoiding unnecessary protective actions, leading to the world withHIV-1-infected and uninfected living comfortably together.
-  “Pneumocystis pneumonia – Los Angeles,” CDC, MMWR; 30, pp. 250-252, 1981.
-  “Global epidemic,” UNAIDS, 2011.
-  J. E. Osbone, “HIV: the more things change, the more they stay the same,” Nat Med. 10, pp. 991-993, 1995.
-  L. Novack, N. Galai, A. Yaari, M. Orgel, E. Shinar, and B. Sarov, “Use of Seroconversion panels to estimate delay in detection of anti-Human immunodeficiency virus antibodies by Enzyme-liinked immunosorbent assay of pooled compared to singleton serum samples,” J. Clin. Micorobiol, 8, pp. 2909-2913, 2006.
-  J. Stekler, J. Maenza, C. E. Stevens, P. D. Swenson, R. W. Coombs, R. W. Wood, M. S. Campbell, D. C. Nickle, A. C. Collier, and M. R. Golden, “Screening for acute HIV infection: Lesson learned,” Clin.Infect. Disease, 44, pp. 45-461, 2007.
-  M. Bogh, R. Machuca, J. Gerstoft, C. Pedersen, N. Obel, B. Kvinesdal, H. Nielsen, and C. Nielsen “Subtype-specific problems with qualitative Amplicor HIV-1 DNA PCR test,” J Clin Virol., 3, pp. 149-153, 2001.
-  A. Alaeus, K. Lidman, A. Sönnerborg, and Albert JAIDS, “Subtype-specific problems with quantification of plasma HIV-1 RNA,” AIDS, 7, pp. 859-865, 1997.
-  “Quantization of viral load in patients infected with HIV-1 subtype E or A,” Kansenshogaku Zassi, 6, pp. 609-614, 1998 (in Japanese).
-  P. Swanson, V. Soriano, S. G. Devare, and J. Hackett Jr., “Comparative performance of three viral load assays on human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) isolates representing group M(subtypes A to G) and group O: LCx HIV RNA quantitative, AMPLICOR HIV-1 MONITOR version 1.5, and Quantiplex HIV-1 RNA version 3.0,” J. Clin Microbiol, 3, pp. 862-870, 2001.
-  Study group supported by Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare. “Guideline for prevention of Mother-tochild transmission of HIV-1” (in Japanese),
-  “Updated U.S. Public Health Service Guidelines for the Management of Occupational Exposures to HBV, HCV, and HIV and Recommendations for Postexposure Prophylaxis,” MMWR, 50. RR11, pp. 1-42, 2001.
-  “Guideline for prevention of Needle-stick,” Study group supported by Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare.
-  D. Trono, C. Van Lint, C. Rouzioux, E. Verdin, F. Barré-Sinoussi, T. W. Chun, N. Chomont, “HIV persistence and the prospect of long-tem remissions for HIV-1 infected individuals,” Science 329, pp. 174-180, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.