Henipavirus Infections - An Expanding Zoonosis from Fruit Bats
Chieko Kai and Misako Yoneda
Laboratory of Animal Research Center / International Research Center for Infectious Diseases, Institute of Medical Sciences, The University of Tokyo, 4-6-1 Shirokanedai, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8639, Japan
-  L. A. Selvey, R. M. Wells, G. J. McCormack, A. J. Ansford, K. Murray, R. J. Rogers, P. S. Lavercombe, P. Selleck, and J.W. Sheridan, “Infection of humans and horses by a newly described morbillivirus,” Med. J. Aust. 162 (12), pp. 642-645, 1995.
-  K. Murray, B. Eaton, P. Hooper, L. Wang, M. Williamson, and P. Yound, “Flying foxes, horses, and humans: a zoonosis caused by a new member of the paramyxoviridae,” Emerging Infections 1, pp. 43-58, 1998.
-  H. Field, P. Young, J. M. Yob, J. Mills, L. Hall, and J. Mackenzie, “The natural history of Hendra and Nipah viruses,” Microbes Infect. 3 (4), pp. 307-314, 2001.
-  OIE & CFSPH, Iowa State Univ., “Hendra Virus Infection,” pp. 1-7, September, 2009.
-  ProMED mail,
http://promedmail.oracle.com/pls/wwv_flow.accept,Int. Society for Infectious Diseases.
-  K. J. Goh, C. T. Tan, N. K. Chew, P. S. Tan, A. Kamarulzaman, S. A. Sarji, K. T. Wong, B. J. Abdullah, K. B. Chua, and S. K. Lam, “Clinical features of Nipah virus encephalitis among pig farmers in Malaysia,” N. Engl. J. Med., 342, pp. 1229-1235, 2000.
-  K. B. Chua, W. J Bellini, P. A. Rota, B. H. Harcourt, A. Tamin, S.K. Lam, T. G. Ksiazek, P. E. Rolin, S. R. Zaki, W. Shieh, C. S. Goldsmith, D. J. Gubler, J. T. Roehrig, B. Eaton, A. R. Gould, J. Olson, H. Field, P. Daniels, A. E. Lingm, C. J. Peters, L. J. Anderson, and B.W. Mahy, “Nipah virus: A recently emergent deadly paramyxovirus,” Science 288, pp. 1432-1435, 2000.
-  U. D. Parashar, L. M. Sunn, F. Ong, A.W. Mounts, M. T. Arif, T. G. Ksiazek, M. A. Kamaluddin, A. N. Mustafa, H. Kaur, L. M. Ding, G. Othman, H. M. Radzi, P. T. Kitsutani, P.C. Stockton, J. Arokiasamy, H. E. Jr. Gary, and L. J. Anderson, “Case-control study of risk factors for human infection with a novel zoonotic paramyxovirus, Nipah virus, during a 1998-1999 outbreak of severe encephalitis in Malaysia,” J. Infect. Dis., 181, pp.1755-1759, 2000.
-  N. I. Paton, Y. S. Leo, S. R. Zaki, A. P. Auchus, K. E. Lee, A. E. Ling, S.K. Chew, B. Ang, P. E. Rollin, T. Umapathi, I. Sng, C. C. Lee, E. Lim, and T. G. Ksiazek, “Outbreak of Nipah-virus infection among abattoir workers in Singapore,” Lancet, 354(9186), pp. 1253-1256, 1999.
-  B. T. Eaton, C. C. Broder, D. Middleton, and L. F. Wang, “Hendra and Nipah viruses: different and dangerous,” Nat. Rev. Microbiol., 4 (1), pp. 23-35, 2006.
-  V. P. Hsu, M. J. Hossain, U. D. Parashar, M. M. Ali, T. G. Ksaizek, I. Kuzumi, M. Niezgoda, C. Rupprecht, J. Bresee, and R. F. Brieman, “Nipah virus encephalitis reemergence, Bangladesh,” Emerg. Infect. Dis., 10, pp. 2082-2087, 2004.
-  K. J. Goh, C. T. Tan, N. K. Chew, P. S. Tan, A. Kamarulzaman, S. A. Sarji, K. T. Wong, B. J. Abdullah, K. B. Chua, and S. K. Lam, “Clinical features of Nipah virus encephalitis among pig farmers in Malaysia,” N. Engl. J. Med., Vol.342, pp. 1229-1235, 2000.
-  C. T. Tan, K. J. Goh, K. T. Wong, S. A. Sarji, K. B. Chua, N. K., Chew, P. Murugasu, Y. L. Loh, H. T. Chong, K. S. Tan, T. Thayaparan, S. Kumar, and M. R. Jusoh, “Relapsed and late-onset Nipah encephalitis,” Ann Neurol, Vol.51, pp. 703-708, 2002.
-  S. K. Lam, “Nipah virus – a potential agent of bioterrorism?,” Antiviral Research 57, pp. 113-119, 2003.
-  FAO Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific, APHCA, “Manual on the diagnosis of Nipah virus infection in animals,” RAP publication No. 2002/01.
-  H. Hosono, H. Kono, S. Ito, and J. Shirai, “Economic Impact of Nipah Virus Infection Outbreak in Malaysia,” Proc. of the 11th Int. Symposium on Veterinary Epidemiology and Economics, 2006.
-  T. Vu, “Rethinking the traditional concept of livestock sewrvices: A study of response capacity in Thailand, Malaysia ans Vietnam,” PPLPI Workiing paper, FAO, 2007.
-  K. B. Chua, “Nipah virus outbreak in Malaysia,” J. Clin. Virol. Vol.26, pp. 265-275, 2003.
-  K. B. Chua, C. L. Koh, P. S. Hooi, K. F. Wee, J. H. Khong, B. H. Chua, Y. P. Chan, M. E. Lim, and S. K. Lam, “Isolation of Nipahvirus from Malaysian Island flying-foxes,” Microbes Infect. Vol.4, pp. 145-151, 2002.
-  J. N. Mills, A. N. Alim, M.L. Bunning, O. B. Lee, K. D. Wagoner, B. R. Amman, P. C. Stockton, and T. G. Ksiazek, “Nipah virus infection in dogs, Malaysia, 1999,” Emerg. Infect. Dis., 15(6), pp. 950-952, 2009.
-  S. P. Luby, M. Rahman, M. J. Hossain, L. S. Blum, M. M. Husain, E. Gurley, R. Khan, B. N. Ahmed, S. Rahman, N. Nahar, E. Kenah, J. A. Comer, and T. G. Ksiazek, “Foodborne transmission of Nipah virus, Bangladesh,” Emerg. Infect. Dis., 12, pp. 1888-1894, 2006.
-  CDC/WHO, “Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories, 5 Edition,” 2009.
-  OIE Terrestrial Manual, “Hendra and Nipah Virus Diseases,” Chaper 2.9.6., pp. 1-14, 2010.
-  Y. Kaku, A. Noguchi, G. A. Marsh, J. A. McEachern, A. Okutani, K. Hotta, B. Bazartseren, S. Fukushi, C. C. Broder, A. Yamada, S. Inoue, and L. F. Wang, “A neutralization test for specific detection of Nipah virus antibodies using pseudotyped vesicular stomatitis virus expressing green fluorescent protein,” J. Virol. Methods, 160, pp. 7-13, 2009.
-  H. M.Weingartl, Y. Berhane, J. Caswell, S. Loosmore, J. C. Audonnet, J.A. Roth and M. Czub, “Recombinant Nipah Virus Vaccines Protect Pigs against Challenge,” J. Viol., 80(16), pp. 7929-7938, 2006.
-  M. Yoneda, V. Guillaume, H. F. Ikeda, Y. Sakuma, H. Sato, T. F. Wild, and C. Kai. “Establishment of a Nipah virus rescue system,” Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., USA, 103(44), pp. 16508-16513, 2006.
-  M. Yoneda, V. Guillaume, H. Sato, K. Fujita, M. C. Georges-Courbot, F. Ikeda, M. Omi, Y. Muto-Terao, T. F. Wild, and C. Kai, “The nonstructural proteins of Nipah virus play a key role in pathogenicity in vivo,” PLoS ONE, 5(9), e12709(1-8), 2010.
-  M. Omi-Furutani, M. Yoneda, K. Fujita, F. Ikeda, and C. Kai, “Novel phosphoprotein-interacting region in Nipah virus nucleocapsid protein and its involvement in viral replication,” J. Virol., pp. 9793-9799, 2010.
-  CDC; Emergency Preparedness and Response,
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.