Logic of and Systems for Volunteer Disaster Relief Activities in Japan: Current Situations and Challenges 15 Years After the 1995 Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake
Faculty of Safety Science, Kansai University, 7-1 Hakubai-cho, Takatsuki, Osaka 569-1098, Japan
“Disaster relief volunteer centers” have been established in areas hit by great disasters since the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake in 1995, the year referred to as Volunteer Year One, and a number of citizens have participated as volunteers in various rescue, restoration, and reconstruction support activities for extended periods. This study reviews how the disaster relief volunteer activities were established and developed, and what functions they have performed in the 15 years since Volunteers Year One, viewed from the aspects of the logic of individual activities and activity systems in which a number of citizens participate.
-  A. H. Barton, “Communities in Disasters,” 1969.
-  Assessment Research Group for Rehabilitation Work after the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake (Ed.), “Towards the Civil Society,” Civic Action Organization, 2001.
-  H. Hirotada, “Social Science Approach for Disaster Studies,” Shinyosha, 1981.
-  Hyogo Prefecture, “Chronicle of rehabilitation work after the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake ,” 1997.
-  I. Yatsuzuka, K. Yamori, “Volunteer activity conducted by existing organizaitons at the time of the Great Hanshin Earthquake: The transformation of Japanese society and volunteers,” The Japanese Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.37, No.2, pp. 177-194, 1997.
-  International Forum for Disaster Prevention by Citizens and NGOs, “Recovery Plan by Citizens,” Kobe-Sinbun Publishing Center.
-  Japanese Council of Social Welfare, “A guidance to implement disaster relief and disaster relief activities of volunteers within partnership,” 2004.
-  M. Honma, M. Deguchi (Eds.), “Revolution in Volunteerism,” Toyokeizaishinposha, 1996.
-  M. Suga, “Research on Generating and Developing a New Support System for Disaster Victims –After the 1995 Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake–,” doctoral thesis, 2006a.
-  M. Suga, “Current Situations of Disaster Relief Volunteer in Japan and United States of America,” “Research on Generating and Developing a New Support System for Disaster Victims –After the 1995 Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake–,” supporting materials for doctoral thesis, 2006b.
-  M. Urano, J. Oyane, J. Tsuchiya (Eds.), “Disaster relief volunteer activity following the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake,” Waseda University Graduate School of Social Sciences, Vol.36, 1996.
-  N. Hayase, “Volunteer theory: Citizen’s participation; a new actor of the public sector,” Japan Association of Local Government Policy Studies, Editor. Re-evaluating city planning; disaster prevention and local governance: Local Government Policy Studies Annual Report, Ryosho-Fukyukai, 9, pp. 79-93, 1996.
-  N. Kurita, “Report on Three Flood Disasters in 1998; Fukushima, Tochigi, Kochi,” The National Network of Earthquake Disaster (SHINTSUNA) (Ed.) “How to organize a flood volunteer center,” pp. 35-54, 1999.
-  Project Meeting in Support of Disaster Relief Volunteer Activities (Ed.), “Report on the Relief Activities after the Earthquake in Noto-Peninsula,” 2007.
-  R. Fujimuro, “Gathering the Experiences of the Victims Through a Relaxing Footbath,” M. Suga, Y. Yamashita, T. Atsumi, “Introduction of Disaster Volunteer,” Kobundo, 2008.
-  Research Group for a Follow-up Survey of the Decade Since the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake, “The Decade Since the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake,” Bunrikaku, 2005.
-  Research Group on Support Activity at Times of Disaster (Ed.), “Towards better support activity: at times of disaster from four view points,” Funded by Nippon Foundation, 2002.
-  S. Nishiyama, “Logic of Volunteer Activities,” Toshindo, 2005.
-  Study Group for Revitalization Design, “Revitalization Design Research,” No.5, 2007.
-  T. Atsumi, “Wisdom of Volunteerism,” Osaka University Press, 2001.
-  T. Harada, “Volunteerism a form of Human Relationships,” Sekaishisosha, 2000.
-  T. Noda, “Disaster and Social System,” Kouseishakouseikaku, 1997.
-  Y. Yamashita, “An analysis of Public’s Opinions on the Postearthquake Volunteers,” Y. Yamashita, M. Suga, “The Sociology of Post-earthquake Volunteers,” Minerva Publishing, pp. 234-264, 2002.
-  Y. Yamashita, M. Suga, “The Sociology of Post-earthquake Volunteers,” Minerva Publishing, 2002.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.