Affect Heuristic with “Good-Bad” Criterion and Linguistic Representation in Risk Judgments
Faculty of Safety Science, Kansai University, 7-1 Hakubai-cho, Takatsuki, Osaka 569-1098, Japan
-  S. Chaiken and Y. Trope, “Dual-Process Theories in Social Psychology,” The Guilford Press, 1999.
-  A. R. Damasio, “Descartes’ Error: Emotion, Reason, and the Human Brain,” Avon, 1994.
-  S. Dohle, C. Keller, and M. Siegrist, “Examining the Relationship Between Affect and Implicit Associations: Implications for Risk Perception,” Risk Analysis, Vol.30, pp. 1116-1128, 2010.
-  S. Epstein, “Integration of the cognitive and the psychodynamic unconscious,” American Psychologist, Vol.49, pp. 709-724, 1994.
-  L. Festinger, “A theory of cognitive dissonance,” Row Peterson, 1957.
-  M. L. Finucane, A. Alhakami, P. Slovic, and S. M. Johnson, “The affect heuristics in judgment of risks and benefits,” Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, Vol.13, pp. 1-17, 2000.
-  B. Fishhoff, P. Slovic, S. Lichtenstein, S. Read, and B. Combs, “How safe is safe enough: A psychometric study of attitudes towards technological risks and benefits,” Policy Sciences, Vol.9, pp. 127-152, 1978.
-  S. T. Fiske and S. E. Taylor, “Social cognition,” Random House, 1984.
-  I. Gavanski and C. Hui, “Natural sample space and uncertain belief,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.63, pp. 766-780, 1992.
-  J. D. Graham and J. B. Wiener (Eds.), “Risk vs. Risk: Tradeoffs in Protecting Health and the Environment,” Harvard University Press, 1997.
-  R. Hamill, T. D. Wilson, and R. E. Nisbett, “Insensitivity to sample bias: Generalizing from atypical cases,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.39, pp. 578-589, 1980.
-  H. Hirose, “Risk perception,” Japanese Journal of Risk Analysis, Vol.5, No.1, pp. 78-81, 1993 (in Japanese).
-  D. Kahneman and A. Tversky, “On the psychology of prediction,” Psychological Review, Vol.80, pp. 237-251, 1973.
-  T. Kinoshita, “Risk perception and risk communication,” In The Society for Risk Analysis: Japan-Section (Ed.), Handbook of risk research, TBS Britannica, pp. 260-267, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  K. Lewin, “Field theory in social science,” Harper, 1951.
-  T. L. McDaniels, L. J. Axelrod, N. S. Cavanagh, and P. Slovic, “Perception of ecological risk to water environments,” Risk Analysis, Vol.17, pp. 341-352, 1997.
-  J. Nakanishi, “Environmental risks,” Iwanami-Shoten, 1995 (in Japanese).
-  R. E. Nisbett, H. Zukier, and R. E. Lemley, “The dilution effect: Nondiagnostic information weakens the implications of diagnostic information,” Cognitive Psychology, Vol.13, pp. 248-277, 1981.
-  C. E. Osgood, G. J. Suci, and P. H. Tannenbaum, “The measurement of meaning,” University of Illinois Press, 1957.
-  M. J. Rosenberg, “An analysis of affective-cognitive consistency,” In M. J. Rosenberg and C. I. Hovland (Eds.), Attitude organization and change, Yale University Press, 1960.
-  M. Rothbart, S. Fulero, C. Jensen, J. Howard, and B. Birrell, “From individual to group impressions: availability heuristics in stereotype formation,” Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Vol.14, pp. 237-255, 1978.
-  G. R. Semin, and K. Fiedler, “The cognitive functions of linguistic categories in describing persons: Social cognition and language,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.54, pp. 558-568, 1988.
-  G. R. Semin and K. Fiedler, “Language in applied contexts,” In G. R. Semin and K. Fiedler (Eds.), Applied social psychology, Sage, pp. 91-110, 1996.
-  H. A. Simon, “Administrative behavior: A study of decisionmaking processes in administrative organizations,” The Free Press, 1947.
-  P. Slovic, “Perception of risk,” Science, Vol.236, pp. 280-285, 1987.
-  P. Slovic, N. Kraus, H. Lappe, and M. Major, “Risk perception of prescription drugs: Report on a survey in Canada,” Canadian Journal of Public Health, Vol.82, S15-S20, 1991.
-  P. Slovic, M. L. Finucane, E. Peters, and D. G. MacGregor, “Risk as Analysis and Risk as Feelings: Some Thoughts about Affect, Reason, Risk, and Rationality,” Risk Analysis, Vol.24, pp. 311-322, 2004.
-  P. E. Tetlock, and R. Boettger, “Accountability: A social magnifier of the dilution effect,” Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.57, pp. 388-398, 1989.
-  S. Tsuchida, “Review of researches on social attitudes,” Research in Social Psychology, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 147-162, 1992 (in Japanese).
-  S. Tsuchida, “Affect and social judgments: Decision-making and attitude-structures,” In Tsuchida, S. and Takemura, K. (Eds.), Affects versus behavior, cognition, and physiological phenomena: Social psychology of affects, Seishin-Shobo, pp. 103-126, 1996 (in Japanese).
-  S. Tsuchida, “Researches on persuasion as attitude-change,” In H. Fukada (Ed.), Handbook of persuasion psychology, Kitaohji-Shobo, pp. 45-90, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  S. Tsuchida, and M. Itoh, “Risk and affect in the youth: Benefit perspectives,” Kitaohji-Shobo, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  S. Tsuchida and M. Pergar-Kusčěr, “Female perception of risk with regard to cultural background,” Bulletin of the Faculty of Sociology, Kansai University, Vol.37, No.3, pp. 39-53, 2006.
-  A. Tversky and D. Kahneman, “Judgment under uncertainty: Heuristics and biases,” Science, Vol.185, pp. 1124-1131, 1974.
-  A. Tversky and D. Kahneman, “The framing of decisions and the psychology of choice,” Science, Vol. 211, pp. 453-458, 1981.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.