Flood Prevention Strategy in Taiwan: Lessons Learned from Typhoon Morakot
Lung-Sheng Hsieh, Jiun-Huei Jang, Hsuan-Ju Lin,
and Pao-Shan Yu
National Science and Technology Center for Disaster Reduction, 9F, 200, Sec. 3, Beisin Rd., Sindian City, Taipei County, Taiwan
Typhoon Morakot hit Taiwan during August 7-9, 2009. Its record-breaking rainfall caused catastrophic damage, making it the deadliest typhoon to visit Taiwan in the last 50 years. Conducting a three-months and 160-member-strong field investigation of the scale and causes of this disaster, this paper proposes strategies effective to improve flood prevention work in Taiwan. The severe flood disaster triggered by Typhoon Morakot’s excessive rainfall is attributable to four factors: (1) hydraulic system failures, (2) river flow retardation, (3) reservoir release, and (4) land subsidence. Based on these findings, this paper proposes comprehensive improvement strategies in hydraulic facility inspection, emergency response, river basin management, and climate change assessment to improve flood prevention work in Taiwan. This study combines governmental, academic, and public efforts in investigating effective post-disaster flood prevention strategies that we hope will prove to be a useful reference for other countries while facing such issues.
and Pao-Shan Yu, “Flood Prevention Strategy in Taiwan: Lessons Learned from Typhoon Morakot,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.5, No.3, pp. 325-329, 2010.
-  NCDR, “Field Investigation and Analysis on Typhoon Morakot,” Report of National Science Council, Executive Yuan, Taiwan, 2009a.
-  NCDR, “Disaster survey of Typhoon Morakot,” Sino-Geotechnics, Vol.121, pp. 75-82, 2009b.
-  WRA, “National Flood Control and Management Project for Floodprone Areas,” Water Resource Agency, Ministry of Economic Affairs, Taiwan, 2005.
-  WRA, “River and coastal disaster prevention measures in response to climate change,” Water Resource Agency, Ministry of Economic Affairs, Taiwan, 2008.
-  S. Chiang, L. S. Shieh, F. Yukuo, C. Taimo, and F. B. Shiau, “Comprehensive river basin management in Taiwan: contributions of Yutaka Takahasi,” Water Resources, Development, Vol.25, No.4, pp. 589-592, 2009.
-  The Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Work Group II, “Climate Change 2007: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability,” Cambridge University Press, 2007.
-  S. C. Liu, C. J. Shiu, J. P. Chen, and C. B. Fu, “Changes of precipitation intensity in East Asia,” proceedings of 2008 Climate Change Conference in Taiwan, Taipei, Taiwan, August 25, Central Weather Bureau, p. 12, 2008.
-  Y. H. Tseng, L. C. Breaker, and T. Y. Change, “Sea level variations in the regional seas around Taiwan,” J. of Oceanography, Vol.66, No.1, pp. 27-39, 2010.