Experimental Verification of FEMA P646 Tsunami Loading
Panitan Lukkunaprasit*, Nuttawut Thanasisathit*, and Harry Yeh**
*Department of Civil Engineering, Chulalongkorn UniversityPhayathai Road, 10330, Bangkok, Thailand
**School of Civil and Construction Engineering, Oregon State University, 220 Owen Hall, Corvallis, Oregon 97331-3212, USA
-  FEMA P646, “Guidelines for Design of Structures for Vertical Evacuation from Tsunamis,” Federal Emergency Management Agency, Washington, D.C., 2008.
-  USGS,
-  P. Lukkunaprasit and A. Ruangrassamee, “Building Damage in Thailand in the 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami and Clues for Tsunamiresistant Design,” The IES J. Part A: Civil & Structural Engineering, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 17-30, 2008.
-  H. Yeh, “Design Tsunami Forces for Onshore Structures,” J. of Disaster Research, Vol.2, No.6, pp. 531-536, 2007.
-  Y. Fukui, M. Nakamura, H. Shiraishi, and Y. Sasaki, “Hydraulic Study on Tsunami,” Coastal Engineering in Japan, Vol.6, pp. 67-82, 1963.
-  S. Mizutani and F. Imamura, “Dynamic Wave Force of Tsunamis Acting on a Structure,” Proc. Int. Tsunami Symp., Washington, Vol.7, No.28, pp. 941-948, 2001.
-  R. Cross, “Tsunami Surge Forces,” J. of the Waterways and Harbors Division, In Proc. of the American Society of Civil engineers, Vol.93-WW4, pp. 201-231, 1967.
-  J. D. Ramsden and F. Raichlen, “Forces on Vertical Wall Caused by Incident Bores,” J. of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering, Vol.116, No.5, pp. 592-613, 1990.
-  J. D. Ramsden, “Tsunamis Forces on a Vertical Wall Caused by LongWaves, Bores, and Surge on a Dry Bed,” J. of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering, Vol.122, No.3, pp. 134-141, 1996.
-  M. A. Hamzah, H.Mase, and T. Takayama, “Simulation and Experiment of Hydrodynamic Pressure on a Tsunami Barrier,” In Proc. of the 27th Int. Conf. on Coastal Engineering, Sydney, Australia, pp. 1501-1507, 2000.
-  R. Asakura, K. Iwase, T. Ikeya, M. Takao, T. Kaneto, N. Fujii, and M. Ohmori, “The TsunamiWave Force Acting on Land Structures,” In Proc. of the 28th Int. Conf. on Coastal Engineering, Cardiff, Wales, pp. 1191-1202, 2002.
-  H. Arnason, C. Petroff, and H. Yeh, “Tsunami Bore Impingement onto a Vertical Column,” J. Disaster Res., Vol.4, No.6, pp. 391-403, 2009.
-  P. Lukkunaprasit, A. Ruangrassamee, and N. Thanasisathit, “Tsunami Loading in Buildings with Openings,” In Proc. of the 14th World Conf. on Earthquake Engineering, Beijing, China, ID 15-0017, 2008.
-  FEMA 55, “Coastal Construction Manual,” Edition 3, Federal Emergency Management Agency. Washington, D.C., 2000.
-  Japan Cabinet Office, Government of Japan, “Guidelines for Tsunami Evacuation Buildings,”
2005 (in Japanese).
-  F. Camfield, “Tsunami Engineering,” Coastal Engineering Research Center, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, Special Report (SR-6), 222, pp, 1980.
-  Dames & Moore, “Design and Construction Standards for Residential Construction in Tsunami-Prone Areas in Hawaii,” prepared for the Federal Emergency Management Agency by Dames & Moore, Washington, D.C., 1980.
-  City and County of Honolulu Building Code (CCH), “Department of Planning and Permitting of Honolulu Hawaii,” Chapter 16 Article 11. Honolulu, Hawaii, 2000.
-  M. C. Shen, and R. E. Meyer, “Climb of a Bore on a Beach. Part3. Run-up,” J. Fluid Mech., Vol.16, pp. 113-125, 1963.
-  H. Yeh, “Maximum Fluid Forces in the Tsunami Runup Zone,” J. of Waterway, Port, Coastal, and Ocean Engineering, Vol.132, No.6, pp. 496-500, 2006.
-  J. J. Stoker, “Water Waves,” Interscience Publishers, Inc., New York, 567pp, 1957.
-  G. H. Keulegan, “Wave Motion,” (In: Engineering Hydraulics, H. Rouse Ed.) John Wiley & Son, Inc. New York, pp. 711-768, 1950.
-  G. B. Whitham, “The Effects of Hydraulic Resistance in the Dambreak Problem,” Proc. Roy. Soc. A. Vol.227, pp.399-407, 1955.
-  J. D. Ramsden, “Tsunamis: Forces on a Vertical Wall Caused by Long Waves, Bores, and Surges on a Dry Bed,” Report No. KHR-54, W.M. Keck Laboratory, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, Calif., 251pp, 1993.
-  H. Yeh, P. Liu, and C. Synolakis (Eds.), “Long-Wave Runup Models,” World Scientific Publishing Co., Singapore, 403pp, 1996.
-  G. B. Whitham, “On the Propagation of Shock Waves through Regions of Non-uniform Area or Flow,” J. FluidMech., Vol.4, pp. 337-360, 1958.
-  H. B. Keller, D. A. Levine, and G. B. Whitham, “Motion of a Bore over a Sloping Beach,” J. Fluid Mech., Vol.7, pp. 302-316, 1960.
-  D. V. Ho and R. E. Meyer, “Climb of a Bore on a Beach. Part 1: Uniform Beach Slope,” J. Fluid Mech., Vol.14, pp. 305-318, 1962.
-  H. Yeh, A. Ghazali, and I. Marton, “Experimental Study of Bore Runup,” J. Fluid Mech., Vol.206, pp. 563-578, 1989.
-  D. H. Peregrine and S. M. Williams, “Swash Overtopping a Truncated Plane Beach,” J. Fluid Mech., Vol.440, pp. 391-399, 2001.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.