Estimation of Tsunami Force Acting on Rectangular Structures
Koji Fujima*, Fauzie Achmad*, Yoshinori Shigihara*, and Norimi Mizutani**
*Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, National Defense Academy, 1-10-20 Hashirimizu, Yokosuka, Kanagawa 239-8686, Japan
**Department of Civil Engineering, Nagoya University, Furo-Cho, Chikusa-ku, Nagoya 464-8603, Japan
Hydraulic experiments were conducted to estimate tsunami wave force acting on rectangular onshore structures. Used building models placed at several distances from a shoreline. Wave pressure was measured at points on exposed structures. Impact and standing-wave pressure at different points peaked at different moments in time, so tsunami force tended to be overestimated by integrating maximum wave-pressure distribution envelope. Measured total force was thus used to formulate tsunami force estimation equations. Hydrostatic formula was successful for structures near a shoreline, despite large scattering for structures far from a shoreline. Hydrodynamic formula was successful in all cases, although inertia was considerable for structures near a shoreline.
-  R. Asakura, K. Iwase, T. Ikeya, M. Takao, T. Kaneto, N. Fujii, and M. Omori, “An experimental study on wave force acting on on-shore structures due to overflowing tsunamis,” Proc. of Coastal Engineering, JSCE, Vol.47, pp. 911-915, 2000 (in Japanese).
-  H. Yeh, “Design tsunami forces for onshore structures,” Journal of Disaster Research, Vol.2, No.6, pp. 531-536, 2007.
-  C. Simamora, Y. Shigihara, and K. Fujima, “Experimental study on tsunami forces acting on structures,” Annual Journal of Coastal Engineering, JSCE, Vol.54, pp. 831-835, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  G. Yeom, N. Mizutani, K. Shiraishi, A. Usami, S. Miyajima, and T. Tomita, “Study on behavior of drifting containers due to tsunami and collision forces,” Annual Journal of Coastal Engineering, JSCE, Vol.54, pp. 856-860, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  G. Yeom, T. Nakamura, A. Usami, and N. Mizutani, “Study on estimation of collision force of a drifting container using fluid-structure interaction analysis,” Annual Journal of Coastal Engineering, JSCE, Vol.55, pp. 281-285, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  K, Tanimoto, H. Tsuruya, and S. Nakano, “Examinations on tsunami force and damage of bulkhead by 1983 Nihonkai-Chubu Earthquake Tsunami,” Proc. of Coastal Engineering, JSCE, pp. 257-261, 1984 (in Japanese).
-  FEMA-CCM, “Coastal Construction Manual,” FEMA 55 Report, Ed.3, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.