Emerging and Reemerging Infection Threats to Society
Department of Virology 1, National Institute of Infectious Diseases
1-23-1 Toyama Shinjuku, Tokyo 162-8640, Japan
-  R. J. Whitley, “Smallpox: a potential agent of bioterrorism,” Antiviral Research, Vol.57, pp.7-12, 2003.
-  B. W. Mahy, “An overview on the use of a viral pathogen as a bioterrorism agent: why smallpox?, ” Antiviral Res., Vol.57, pp. 1-5, 2003.
-  P. K. Dewan, A. M. Fry, K. Laserson, B. C. Tierney, C. P. Quinn, J. A. Hayslett, L. N. Broyles, A. Shane, K. L. Winthrop, I. Walks, L. Siegel, T. Hales, V. A. Semenova, S. Romero-Steiner, C. Elie, R. Khabbaz, A. S. Khan, R. A. Hajjeh, and A. Schuchat, “Inhalational anthrax outbreak among postal workers, Washington, D.C., 2001,” Emerg. Infect. Dis., Vol.8, pp. 1066-1072, 2002.
-  J. M. Maillard, M. Fischer, K. T. McKee, Jr., L. F. Turner, and J. S. Cline, “First case of bioterrorism-related inhalational anthrax, Florida, 2001: North Carolina investigation,” Emerg. Infect. Dis., Vol.8, pp. 1035-1038, 2002.
-  T. H. Holtz, J. Ackelsberg, J. L. Kool, R. Rosselli, A. Marfin, T. Matte, S. T. Beatrice, M. B. Heller, D. Hewett, L. C. Moskin, M. L. Bunning, and M. Layton, “Isolated case of bioterrorism-related inhalational anthrax, New York City, 2001,” Emerg. Infect. Dis., Vol.9, pp. 689-696, 2003.
-  R. G. Will, J. W. Ironside, M. Zeidler, S. N. Cousens, K. Estibeiro, A. Alperovitch, S. Poser, M. Pocchiari, A. Hofman, and P.G. Smith, “A new variant of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in the UK,” Lancet, Vol.347, pp. 921-925, 1996.
-  K. J. Goh, C. T. Tan, N. K. Chew, P. S. Tan, A. Kamarulzaman, S. A. Sarji, K. T. Wong, B. J. Abdullah, K. B. Chua, and S. K. Lam, “Clinical features of Nipah virus encephalitis among pig farmers in Malaysia,” N. Engl. J. Med., Vol.342, pp.1229-1235, 2000.
-  K. B. Chua, K. J. Goh, K. T. Wong, A. Kamarulzaman, P. S. Tan, T. G. Ksiazek, S. R. Zaki, G. Paul, S. K. Lam, and C. T. Tan, “Fatal encephalitis due to Nipah virus among pig-farmers in Malaysia,” Lancet, Vol.354, pp. 1257-1259, 1999.
-  T. G. Ksiazek, D. Erdman, C. S. Goldsmith, S. R. Zaki, T. Peret, S. Emery, S. Tong, C. Urbani, J. A. Comer, W. Lim, P. E. Rollin, S. F. Dowell, A. E. Ling, C. D. Humphrey, W. J. Shieh, J. Guarner, C. D. Paddock, P. Rota, B. Fields, J. DeRisi, J. Y. Yang, N. Cox, J. M. Hughes, J. W. LeDuc, W. J. Bellini, and L. J. Anderson, “A novel coronavirus associated with severe acute respiratory syndrome,” N. Engl. J. Med., Vol.348, pp. 1953-1966, 2003.
-  C. Drosten, S. Gunther, W. Preiser, S. van der Werf, H.R. Brodt, S. Becker, H. Rabenau, M. Panning, L. Kolesnikova, R. A. Fouchier, A. Berger, A. M. Burguiere, J. Cinatl, M. Eickmann, N. Escriou, K. Grywna, S. Kramme, J. C. Manuguerra, S. Muller, V. Rickerts, M. Sturmer, S. Vieth, H. D. Klenk, A. D. Osterhaus, H. Schmitz, and H. W. Doerr, “Identification of a novel coronavirus in patients with severe acute respiratory syndrome,” N. Engl. J. Med., Vol.348, pp. 1967-1976, 2003.
-  Anonymous, “Emergence of a Novel Swine-Origin Influenza A (H1N1) Virus in Humans,” N. Engl. J. Med. 2009
-  F. Barre-Sinoussi, J. C. Chermann, F. Rey, M. T. Nugeyre, S. Chamaret, J. Gruest, C. Dauguet, C. Axler-Blin, F. Vezinet-Brun, C. Rouzioux, W. Rozenbaum, and L. Montagnier, “Isolation of a T-lymphotropic retrovirus from a patient at risk for acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS),” Science, Vol.220, pp. 868-871, 1983.
-  D. Bateman, D. Hilton, S. Love, M. Zeidler, J. Beck, and J, Collinge, “Sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in a 18-year-old in the UK,” Lancet, Vol.346, pp. 1155-1156, 1995.
-  T. C. Britton, S. al-Sarraj, C. Shaw, T. Campbell, and J, Collinge, “Sporadic Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in a 16-year-old in the UK,” Lancet, Vol.346, p. 1155, 1995.
-  C. T. Tan and K. T. Wong, “Nipah encephalitis outbreak in Malaysia,” Ann Acad Med Singapore, Vol.32, pp. 112-117, 2003.
-  N. I. Paton, Y. S. Leo, S. R. Zaki, A. P. Auchus, K. E. Lee, A. E. Ling, S. K. Chew, B. Ang, P. E. Rollin, T. Umapathi, I. Sng, C. C. Lee, E. Lim, and T. G. Ksiazek, “Outbreak of Nipah-virus infection among abattoir workers in Singapore,” Lancet, Vol.354, pp. 1253-1256, 1999.
-  E. C. Claas, A. D. Osterhaus, R. van Beek, J. C. De Jong, G. F. Rimmelzwaan, D. A. Senne, S. Krauss, K. F. Shortridge, and R. G. Webster, “Human influenza A H5N1 virus related to a highly pathogenic avian influenza virus,” Lancet, Vol.351, pp. 472-477, 1998.
-  K. Subbarao and M. W. Shaw, “Molecular aspects of avian influenza (H5N1) viruses isolated from humans,” Rev. Med. Virol., Vol.10, pp. 337-348, 2000.
-  P. Keim, K. L. Smith, C. Keys, H. Takahashi, T. Kurata, and A. Kaufmann, “Molecular investigation of the Aum Shinrikyo anthrax release in Kameido, Japan,” J. Clin. Microbiol., Vol.39, pp. 4566-4567, 2001.
-  T. Saito, T. Fujii, Y. Kanatani, M. Saijo, S. Morikawa, H. Yokote, T. Takeuchi, and N. Kuwabara, “Clinical and immunological response to attenuated tissue-cultured smallpox vaccine LC16m8,” JAMA, Vol.301, pp. 1025-1033, 2009.
-  M. Saijo, Y. Ami, Y. Suzaki, N. Nagata, N. Iwata, H. Hasegawa, M. Ogata, S. Fukushi, T. Mizutani, T. Sata, T. Kurata, I. Kurane, and S. Morikawa, “LC16m8, a highly attenuated vaccinia virus vaccine lacking expression of the membrane protein B5R, protects monkeys from monkeypox,” J. Virol., Vol.80, pp. 5179-5188, 2006.
-  D, Nash, F, Mostashari, A, Fine, J, Miller, D, O’Leary, K, Murray, A, Huang, A, Rosenberg, A. Greenberg, M. Sherman, S. Wong, and M. Layton, “The outbreak of West Nile virus infection in the New York City area in 1999,” N. Engl. J. Med., Vol.344, pp. 1807-1814, 2001.
-  R. N. Charrel, de X. Lamballerie, and D. Raoult, “Chikungunya outbreaks - the globalization of vectorborne diseases,” N. Engl. J. Med., Vol.356, pp. 769-771, 2007.
-  G. Rezza, L. Nicoletti, R. Angelini, R. Romi, A. C. Finarelli, M. Panning, P. Cordioli, C. Fortuna, S. Boros, F. Magurano, G. Silvi, P. Angelini, M. Dottori, M. G. Ciufolini, G. C. Majori, and A Cassone, “Infection with Chikungunya virus in Italy: an outbreak in a temperate region,” Lancet, Vol.370, pp. 1840-1846, 2007.
-  K. D. Reed, J. W. Melski, M. B. Graham, R. L. Regnery, M. J. Sotir, M. V. Wegner, J. J. Kazmierczak, E. J. Stratman, Y. Li, J. A. Fairley, G. R. Swain, V. A. Olson, E. K. Sargent, S. C. Kehl, M. A. Frace, R. Kline, S. L. Foldy, J. P. Davis, and I. K. Damon, “The detection of monkeypox in humans in the Western Hemisphere,” N. Engl. J. Med., Vol.350, pp. 342-350, 2004.
-  F. Qadri, A. I. Khan, A. S. Faruque, Y. A. Begum, F. Chowdhury, G. B. Nair, M. A. Salam, D. A. Sack and A. M. Svennerholm, “Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli and Vibrio cholerae diarrhea, Bangladesh, 2004,” Emerg. Infect. Dis., Vol.11, pp. 1104-1107, 2005.
-  D. Sur, P. Dutta, G. B. Nair, and S. K. Bhattacharya, “Severe cholera outbreak following floods in a northern district of West Bengal,” Indian J. Med. Res., Vol.112, pp. 178-182, 2000.
-  H. Kondo, N. Seo, T. Yasuda, M. Hasizume, Y. Koido, N. Ninomiya, and Y. Yamamoto, “Post-flood-infectious diseases in Mozambique,” Prehosp. Disaster Med., Vol.17, pp. 126-133, 2002.
-  A. M. Vollaard, S. Ali, H. A. van Asten, S. Widjaja, L. G. Visser, C. Surjadi, and J. T. van Dissel, “Risk factors for typhoid and paratyphoid fever in Jakarta, Indonesia,” JAMA, Vol.291, pp. 2607-2615, 2004.
-  T. Katsumata, D. Hosea, E.B. Wasito, S. Kohno, K. Hara, P. Soeparto, and I. G. Ranuh, “Cryptosporidiosis in Indonesia: a hospital-based study and a community-based survey,” Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg., Vol.59, pp. 628-632, 1998.
-  H. Y. Yang, P. Y. Hsu, M. J. Pan, M. S. Wu, C. H. Lee, C. C. Yu, C. C. Hung, and C. W. Yang, “Clinical distinction and evaluation of leptospirosis in Taiwan-a case-control study,” J. Nephrol., Vol.18, pp. 45-53, 2005.
-  S. Karande, M. Bhatt, A. Kelkar, M. Kulkarni, A. De, and A. Varaiya, “An observational study to detect leptospirosis in Mumbai,” India, 2000, Arch. Dis. Child., Vol.88, pp. 1070-1075, 2003.
-  M. Marin, H. Q. Nguyen, J. R. Langidrik, R. Edwards, K. Briand, M. J. Papania, J. F. Seward, and C. W. LeBaron, “Measles transmission and vaccine effectiveness during a large outbreak on a densely populated island: implications for vaccination policy,” Clin. Infect. Dis., Vol.42, pp. 315-319, 2006.
-  M. Gaspar, F. Leite, L. Brumana, B. Felix, and AA. Stella, “Epidemiology of meningococcal meningitis in Angola, 1994-2000,” Epidemiol. Infect., Vol.127, pp. 421-424, 2001.
-  N. Campanella, “Infectious diseases and natural disasters: the effects of Hurricane Mitch over Villanueva municipal area, Nicaragua,” Public Health Rev., Vol.27, pp. 311-319, 1999.
-  A. R. Lifson, “Mosquitoes, models, and dengue,” Lancet, Vol.347, pp. 1201-1202, 1996.
-  R. Saenz, R. A. Bissell, and F. Paniagua, “Post-disaster malaria in Costa Rica,” Prehosp Disaster Med., Vol.10, pp. 154-160, 1995.
-  Anonymous, “Update: Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease in a patient receiving a cadaveric dura mater graft,” MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep., Vol.36, pp. 324-325, 1987.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.