Building Passive Control in Japan
Kazuhiko Kasai1, Masayoshi Nakai2, Yutaka Nakamura3, Hidekatsu Asai4, Yousuke Suzuki5, and Masato Ishii6
1Professor, Structural Engineering Research Center, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Japan
2General Manager, Advanced Structural Engineering Department, Takenaka Corporation, Japan
3Chief Research Engineer, Institute of Technology, Shimizu Corporation
4Deputy Manager, Technical Research Institute, Obayashi Corporation
5Chief, Advanced Structural Engineering Department, Takenaka Corporation, Japan
6Senior Engineer, Structural Engineering Department, Nikken Sekkei Ltd., Japan
This paper discusses the following three key issues on passive control using dampers for seismic protection of buildings:
1 Major experimental research on passive control of buildings: Tests using the world’s largest shaking table “E-Defense” from March to April 2009 evaluated a full-scale 5-story steel building with and without dampers. 2 Codes and specifications: The Japanese building code requires that the nonlinear time history analysis be performed for buildings with dampers or that energy-based analysis be conducted when steel dampers are used. Unlike code rules leading to iterative design, the specifications of the Japan Society of Seismic Isolation (JSSI) give direct design method (DDM) for target performance set by designers. 3 Damage-free structure and its design: Backed by government support, a large team of researchers and designers has developed a structure damage-free against a catastrophic earthquake, using dampers and super-high-strength steel frames. The structure and its design rule using DDM are being studied for inclusion in projected code.
-  K. Kasai, Y. Fu, and A. Watanabe, “Passive Control Systems for Seismic Damage Mitigation,” Journal of Structural Engineering, American Society of Civil Engineers, Vol.124, No.5, pp. 501-512, 1998.
-  JSSI Manual, “Design and Construction Manual for Passively Controlled Buildings,” Japan Society of Seismic Isolation, Tokyo, Japan, 1st Ed. 405 pages, 2nd Ed. 515 pages, 2nd Ed.& 2nd Print 509 pages, 2003, 2005, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  K. Kasai and H. Ito, “Passive Control Design Method Based on Tuning of Stiffness, Yield Strength, and Ductility of Elasto-Plastic Damper,” J. of Stru. and Constr. Eng., AIJ, No.595, Sep., pp. 45-55, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  K. Kasai and K. Iwasaki, “Reduced Expression for Various Passive Control Systems and Conversion to Shear Spring Model,” Journal of Stru. and Constr. Eng., AIJ, No.605, July, pp. 37-46, 2006a (in Japanese).
-  K. Kasai, N. Minato, and Y. Kawanabe, “Passive Control Design Method Based on Tuning of Equivalent Stiffness of Visco-Elastic Damper,” Journal of Stru. and Constr. Eng., AIJ, No.610, Dec., pp. 75-83, 2006b (in Japanese).
-  K. Kasai, Y. Ooki, S. Motoyui, T. Takeuchi, and E. Sato, “EDefense Tests on Full-Scale Steel Buildings: Part 1 - Experiments Using Dampers and Isolators,” ASCE Str. Congress, Long Beach, CA, May 16-19, 2007a.
-  K. Kasai, T. Ogura, and A. Suzuki, “Passive Control DesignMethod Based on Tuning of Equivalent Stiffness of Nonlinear Viscous Damper,” Journal of Stru. and Constr. Eng., AIJ, No.618, Aug., pp. 97-104, 2007b (in Japanese).
-  K. Suita, S. Yamada, M. Tada, K. Kasai, Y.Matsuoka, Y.Matsuoka, and E. Sato, “Results of Recent E-Defense Tests on Full-Scale Steel Buildings: Part 1 - Collapse Experiments on 4-Story Moment Frames,” ASCE Structures Congress, Vancouver, B.C., April 24-26, 2008.
-  M. Ohsaki, K. Kasai, Y. Matsuoka, and J. Zhang, “Results of Recent E-Defense Tests on Full-Scale Steel Buildings: Part 2 - Collapse Simulation and Blind Analysis Contest,” ASCE Stru. Cong., Vancouver, B.C., April 24-26, 2008.
-  K. Kasai, Y. Ooki, S. Motoyui, T. Takeuchi, K. Kajiwara, and E. Sato, “Results of Recent E-Defense Tests on Full-Scale Steel Buildings: Part 3 – Experiments on Dampers and Frame Subassemblies,” ASCE Structures Congress, Vancouver, B.C., April 24-26, 2008a.
-  K. Kasai, H. Ito, and T. Ogura, “Passive Control Design Method Based on Tuning of Equivalent Stiffness of Bilinear Oil Damper,” Journal of Stru. and Constr. Eng., AIJ, No.630, Aug., pp. 1281-1288, 2008b (in Japanese).
-  K. Kasai, Y. Ooki, H. Ito, S. Motoyui, and K. Kaneko, “Value-Added 5-Story Steel Frame and Its Components: Part 1 – Full-Scale Damper Tests and Analytical Modeling,” 14WCEE, Beijing, Oct. 12-17, 2008c.
-  K. Kasai, M. Nakai, Y. Nakamura, H. Asai, Y. Suzuki, and M. Ishii, “Current Status of Building Passive Control in Japan,” 14WCEE, Beijing, Oct. 12-17, 2008d.
-  T. Jiang, “JSSI Design and Construction Manual for Passively Controlled Buildings: Chinese Translation” (translation), Manual Translation Committee, China Architecture and Building Press, Beijing, China, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.