Continuous Long-Term Seafloor Pressure Observation for Detecting Slow-Slip Interplate Events in Miyagi-Oki on the Landward Japan Trench Slope
Ryota Hino, Shiori Ii, Takeshi Iinuma, and Hiromi Fujimoto
Graduate School of Science, Tohoku University, Aoba-ku, Sendai 980-8578, Japan
-  M. Ando, “Source mechanisms and tectonic significance of historical earthquakes along the Nankai trough,” Tectonophysics, 27, pp. 119-140, 1975.
-  T. Baba, K. Hirata, T. Hori, and H. Sakaguchi, “Offshore geodetic data conductive to the estimation of the afterslip distribution following the 2003 Tokachi-oki earthquake,” Earth Planet. Science Lett., 241, pp. 281-292, 2006.
-  J. Boatwright and M. Cocco, “Frictional constraints on crustal faulting,” J. Geophys. Res., 101, pp. 13895-13909, 1996.
-  W. W. Chadwick Jr., S. L. Nooner, M. A. Zumberge, R. W. Embley, and C. G. Fox, “Vertical deformation monitoring at Axial Seamount since its 1998 eruption using deep-sea pressure sensors,” J. Volc. Geotherm. Res., 150, pp. 313-327, 2006.
-  M. Cisternas, B. F. Atwater, F. Torrej’on, Y. Sawai, G. Mauchuca, M. Lagos, A. Eipert, C. Youlton, I. Salgado, T. Kamataki, M. Shishikura, C. P. Rajendran, J. K. Malik, Y. Rizal, and M. Husni, “Predecessors of the giant Chile earthquake,” Nature, 437, pp. 404-407, doi:10.1038/nature03943, 2005.
-  C. G. Fox, W. W. Chadwick Jr., and R. W. Embley, “Direct observation of a submarine volcanic eruption from a sea-floor instrument caught in a lava flow,” Nature, 412, pp. 727-729, 2001.
-  H. Fujimoto, M. Mochizuki, K. Mitsuzawa, T. Tamaki, and T. Sato, “Ocean bottom pressure variations in the southern Pacific following the 1997-98 El Ni no event,” Geophys. Res. Lett., 30, 1456, 10.1029/2002GL016677, 2003.
-  M. Fujita, T. Ishikawa, M. Mochizuki, M. Sato, S. Toyama, M. Katayama, K. Kawai, Y. Matsumoto, T. Yabuki, A. Asada, and O. I. Colombo, “GPS/Acoustic seafloor geodetic observation method of data analysis and its application,” Earth Planets Space, 58, pp. 265-275, 2006.
-  K. Gagnon, C. D. Chadwell, and E. Norabuena, “Measuring the onset of locking in the Peru-Chile trench with GPS and acoustic measurements,” Nature, 434, pp. 205-208, 2005.
-  Headquarters for Earthquake Research Promotion of Japan, “Long-term evaluation of the Miyagi-Oki earthquakes,”
2003 (in Japanese).
-  K. Heki, S. Miyazaki, and H. Tsuji, “Silent fault slip following an interplate thrust earthquake at the Japan trench,” Nature, 386, pp. 595-598, 1997.
-  R. Hino, Y. Yananoto, M. Nishino, T. Kanazawa, T. Yamada, K. Nakahigashi, K. Mochizuki, M. Shinohara, G. Aoki, M. Tanaka, E. Araki, S. Kodaira, G. Fujie, and Y. Kaneda, “Hypocenter distribution of the 2005 Miyagi-Oki earthquake and its aftershocks by OBS observation,” Abstr. SSJ 2005 Fall Meeting, PM02, 2005.
-  R. D. Hyndman, K. Wang, and M. Yamano, “Thermal constraints on the seismogenic portion of the southerwestern Japan subduction thrust,” J. Geophys. Res., 100, pp. 15,373-15,392, 1995.
-  T. Igarashi, T. Matsuzawa, and A. Hasegawa, “Repeating earthquakes and interplate aseismic slip in the northeastern Japan subduction zone,” J. Geophys. Res., 108, doi:10.1029/2002JB001920, 2003.
-  T. Iinuma, S. Miura, S. Yui, N. Uchida, T. Sato, K. Tachibana, and A. Hasegawa, “Spatio-temporal evolution of post-seismic slip associated with the 2005 Miyagi-oki earthquake (M7.2) as inferred from GPS data,” Eos Trans. AGU, 87 (52), Fall Meet. Suppl. Abstract G33A-0032, 2006.
-  N. Kato, “Interaction of slip events at a circular asperity: Numerical simulation of seismic cycles on a two-dimensional planar fault with nonuniform frictional property,” J. Geophys. Res., 109, B12306, doi.10.1029/2004JB003001, 2004.
-  N. Kato, “Numerical simulation of recurrence of asperity rupture in the Sanriku region, northeastern Japan,” J. Geophys. Res., 113, B06302, doi:10.1029/2007JB005515, 2008.
-  M. Kido, H. Fujimoto, S. Miura, Y. Osada, K. Tsuka, and T. Tabei, “Seafloor displacement at Kumano-nada caused by the 2004 off Kii Peninsua earthquakes, deduced through repeated GPS/Acoustic surveys,” Earth Planets Space, 58, pp. 911-915, 2006.
-  S. Kodaira, T. Hori, A. Ito, S. Miura, G. Fujie, J.-O. Park, T. Baba, H. Sakaguchi, and Y. Kaneda, “A cause of rupture segmentation and synchronization in the Nankai trough revealed by seismic imaging and numerical simulation,” J. Geophys. Res., 111, B09301, doi:10.1029/2005JB004030, 2006.
-  T. Lay, H. Kanamori, C. J. Ammon, M. Nettles, S. N. Ward, R. C. Aster, S. L. Beck, S. L. Bilek, M. R. Brudzinski, R. Butler, H. R. Deshon, G. Ekstrom, K. Satake, and S. Sipkin, “The great Sumatra-Andaman earthquake of 26 December 2005,” Science, 308, pp. 1127-1133, doi:10.1126/Science.1112250, 2005.
-  C. J. Marone, C. H. Scholtz, and R. Bilham, “On the mechanics of earthquake afterslip,” J. Geophys. Res., 96, pp. 8441-8452, 1991.
-  T. Matsuzawa, N. Uchida, T. Igarashi, T. Okada, and A. Hasegawa, “Repeating earthquakes and quasi-static slip on the plate boundary east of northern Honshu, Japan,” Earth Planet Space, 56, pp. 803-811, 2004.
-  Y. Matsumoto, M. Fujita, T. Ishikawa, M. Mochizuki, T. Yabuki, and A. Asada, “Undersea co-seismic crustal movements associated with the 2005 Off Miyagi Prefecture Earthquake detected by GPS/acoustic seafloor geodetic observation,” Earth Planets Space, 58, pp. 1573-1576, 2006.
-  S. Miura, T. Iinuma, S. Yui, N. Uchida, T. Sato, K. Tachibana, and A. Hasegawa, “Co- and post-seismic slip associated with the 2005 Miaygi-oki earthquake (M7.2) as inferred from GPS data,” Earth Planets Space, 58, pp. 1567-1572, 2006.
-  M. Murakami, H. Suito, S. Ozawa, and M. Kaidzu, “Earthquake triggering bymigrating slow slip initiated by M8 earthquake along Kuril Trench, Japan,” Geophys. Res., Lett., 33, L09306, doi:10.1029/2006GL025967, 2006.
-  T. Nishimura, T. Hirasawa, S. Miyazaki, T. Sagiya, T. Tada, S. Miura, and K. Tanaka, “Temporal change of interplate coupling in northeastern Japan during 1995-2002 estimated from continuous GPS observations,” Geophys. J. Int., 157, doi:10.1111/j.1365-246X.2004.02159.x, 2004.
-  K. Obara, H. Hirose, F. Yamamizu, and K. Kasahara, “Episodic slow slip events accompanied by non-volcanic tremors in southwest Japan subduction zone,” Geophys. Res. Lett., 31, L23602, 10.1029/2004GL020848, 2004.
-  T. Okada, T. Yaginuma, N. Umino, T. Kono, T. Matsuzawa, S. Kita, and A. Hasegawa, “The 2005 M7.2 MIYAGI-OKI earthquake, NE Japan: Possible rerupturing of one of asperities that caused the previous M7.4 earthquake,” Geophys. Res. Lett., 32, L24302, doi:10.1024/2005GL024613, 2005.
-  J.-H. Park, D. R. Watts, K. A. Donohue, and S. R. Jayne, “A comparison of in situ bottom pressure array measurements with GRACE estimates in the Kuroshio Extension,” Geophys. Res. Lett., 35, L17601, doi:10.1029/2008GL034778, 2008.
-  K. A. Phillips, C. D. Chadwell, and J. A. Hildebrand, “Vertical deformation measurements on the submerged south flank of Kilauea volcano, Hawai’i reveal seafloor motion associated with volcanic collapse,” J. Geophys. Res., 113, B05106, doi:10.1029/2007JB005124, 2008.
-  Y. Sawai, K. Satake, T. Kamataki, H. Nasu, M. Shishikura, B. F. Atwater, B. P. Horton, H. M. Kelsey, T. Nagumo, and M. Yamaguchi, “Transient uplift after a 17th-century along the Kuril Subduction Zone,” Science, 306, pp. 1918-1920, 2004.
-  T. Tamaki, R. Hino, H. Fujimoto, T. Yamada, T. Kanazawa, and H. Murakami, “Vertical crustal movement on the seafloor detected with differential pressure monitoring,” abstract UT2002, IEEE-OES, Tokyo, 2002.
-  Y. Tamura, T. Sato, M. Ooe, and M. Ishiguro, “A procedure for tidal analysis with a baysian information criterion,” Geophys. J. Int., 104, pp. 507-516, 1991.
-  N. Uchida, T. Matsuzawa, and A. Hasegawa, “Interplate quasi-static slip off Sanriku, NE Japan, estimated from repeating earthquakes,” Geophys. Res. Lett., 30, 1801, doi:10.1029/2003GL017452, 2003.
-  N. Uchida, T. Matsuzawa, A. Hasegawa, M. Ichiyanagi, and M. Kasahara, “Quasi-static slips before and after the 2003 Tokachi-oki and November 29, 2004 off-Kushiro earthquakes at SE off Hokkaido, Japan estimated from repeating earthquakes,” Abstr. AOGS 2005, 58-SE-A1415, 2005.
-  N. Uchida, T. Matsuzawa, T. Miura, S. Hirahara, and A. Hasegawa, “Interplate quasi-static slip off Miyagi and Fukushima prefecture estimated from small repeating earthquake data,” Zisin 2, 59, pp. 287-295, 2007 (in Japanese with English abstract).
-  N. Umino, T. Kono, T. Okada, J. Nakajima, T. Matsuzawa, N. Uchida, A. Hasegawa, Y. Tamura, and G. Aoki, “Revisiting the three M∼7 Miyagi-oki earthquakes in the 1930s: possible seismogenic slip on asperities that re-ruptured during the 1978 M=7.4 Miyagi-oki earthquake,” Earth Planets Space, 58, pp. 1587-1592, 2006.
-  R. B. Wearn and N. G. Larson, “Measurements of the sensitivities and drift of Digiquartz pressure sensors,” Deep-Sea Res., 29, pp. 111-134, 1982.
-  C. Wu, K. Koketsu, and H. Miyake, “Source processes of the 1978 and 2005 Miyagi-oki, Japan, earthquakes: Repeated rupture of asperities over successive large earthquakes,” J. Geophys. Res., 113, B08316, doi:10.1029/2007JB005189, 2008.
-  T. Yabuki and M. Matu’ura, “Geodetic data inversion using a Baysian information criterion for spatial distribution of fault slip,” Geophys. J. Int., 109, pp. 363-375, 1992.
-  Y. Yagi and M. Kikuchi, “Partioning between seismogenic and aseismic slip as highlighted from slow slip events in Hyuga-nada, Japan,” Geophys. Res. Lett., 30, 1087,
-  Y. Yagi, M. Kikuchi, and T. Nishimura, “Co-seismic slip, post-seismic slip, and largest aftershock associated with the 1994 Sanriku-Haruka-oki, Japan earthquake,” Geophys. Res. Lett., 30, 2177, doi:10.1029/2003GL018189, 2003.
-  Y. Yamanaka, EIC Seismological note, 141, 2003.
-  Y. Yamanaka and M. Kikuchi, “Asperity map along the subduction zone in northeastern Japan inferred from regional seismic data,” J. Geophys. Res., 109, B07307, doi:10/1029/2003JB002683, 2004.
-  Y. Yamamoto, R. Hino, K. Suzuki, Y. Ito, T. Yamada, M. Shinohara, T. Kanazawa, G. Aoki, M. Tanaka, K. Uehira, G. Fujie, Y. Kaneda, T. Takanami, and T. Sato, “Spatial heterogeneity of the mantle wedge structure and interplate coupling in the NE Japan forearc region,” Geophys. Res. Lett., 35, L23304, doi:10.1029/2008GL036100, 2008.
-  S. Yoshida and N. Kato, “Episodic aseismic slip in a two-degree-of-freedom block-spring model,” Geophys. Res. Lett., 30, 1681, doi:10.1029/2003GL017439, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.