Influence of China’s Population Aging on Household Consumption – Based on the Data from China Family Panel Studies
Lizhen Chen* and Xindong Zhao**,
*School of Economics and Finance, Huaqiao University
No.269, Chenghua North Road, Quanzhou, Fujian 362021, China
**Institute of Quantitative Economics, Huaqiao University
No.668, Jimei Avenue, Xiamen, Fujian 361021, China
Based on the China Family Panel Studies (CFPS2016) data, this study empirically tests the impact of population aging on household consumption. The results show that population aging promotes the basic living consumption expenditure of most households and inhibits the enjoyment or development consumption expenditure of most households. At the same time, low-level consumer families are more affected by population aging and income than high-level consumer families. Moreover, the impact of population aging on developmental consumption varies among families with different income levels, especially in medical and health expenditures. The higher the family income level, the smaller the impact. Finally, this study puts forward suggestions such as improving the social security mechanism, improving the level of education, releasing the consumption potential of the elderly, improving the consumption level, and promoting consumption upgrading.
-  R. Mao and J. Xu, “Demographic Transition，Consumption Structure Disparities and Industrial Growth,” Population Research, Vol.38, No.3, pp. 89-104, 2014 (in Chinese).
-  C. Wang and Y. Du, “Population age structure and household consumption behavior in my country: An empirical analysis based on CFPS2016 micro-data,” Industrial Economic Review, Vol.10, No.4, pp. 136-152, 2019 (in Chinese).
-  H. Pan and J. Tang, “Research on the impact of population aging on the consumption rate of residents,” Jiangxi Social Sciences, Vol.41, No.1, pp. 51-60, 2021 (in Chinese).
-  X. Yi and Q. Jian, “An Empirical Study on Population Aging and Household Average Propensity of Consumption in China,” Consumer Economics, Vol.35, No.2, pp. 3-12, 2019 (in Chinese).
-  Y. Huang, C. Zhang, and S. Tian, “The Influencing Mechanisms of Population Age Structure and Housing Price on Household Consumption in Urban China,” Population Research, Vol.43, No.4, pp. 17-35, 2019 (in Chinese).
-  Y. Wang and H. Zhou, “Research on the influence of population aging on urban household consumption level,” Shanghai Economic Research, Vol.38, No.5, pp. 84-91, 2019 (in Chinese).
-  Y. Aksoy, H.-S. Basso, R.-P. Smith et al., “Demographic Structure and Macroeconomic Trends,” American Economic J.: Macroeconomics, Vol.11, No.1, pp. 193-222, 2019.
-  X. Zang and X. Li, “The Nonlinear Impact of Population Aging on Residents’ Consumption: Based on the Dynamic Panel Heterogeneity Threshold Effect of Pension Insurance Development,” Economics and Management Research, Vol.41, No.3, pp. 21-36+86, 2020 (in Chinese).
-  P. Liu, Y. Wang, and Z. Zou, “Analysis of the impact of population aging on urban household consumption,” Statistics and Decision, Vol.37, No.8, pp. 103-106, 2021 (in Chinese).
-  H. Jin and Y. Li, “The impact of population aging on the consumption level of Chinese residents and regional differences,” Economics and Management, Vol.35, No.6, pp. 23-32, 2021 (in Chinese).
-  W. Li, C. Xu, and C. Ai, “China’s population age structure and residents’ consumption: 1989–2004,” Economic Research J., Vol.54, No.7, pp. 118-129, 2008 (in Chinese).
-  K. Li and S. Zhong, “Labor dependency burden and residents’ consumption rate: A dynamic panel empirical study based on the demographic dividend period,” Economic Review, Vol.31, No.6, pp. 105-112, 2010 (in Chinese).
-  X. Zhao and L. Li, “How Economic and Demographic Factors Influence the Consumption of Urban Residents of Different Income Levels,” Mathematical Statistics and Management, Vol.35, No.6, pp. 1076-1085, 2016 (in Chinese).
-  F. Wang and L. Huang, “Household Characteristic and Resident Consumption – Based on CFPS Data,” Mathematical Statistics and Management, Vol.38, No.3, pp. 381-393, 2019 (in Chinese).
-  L. Sheng, X. Fang, Y. Feng, and H. Liu, “Study on the Impact of Changes in Household Population Composition on Household Consumption: An Analysis Based on Micro Household Panel Data,” Statistical Research, Vol.38, No.11, pp. 35-46, 2021 (in Chinese).
-  Y. Wang, “An Analysis of Changes in the Chinese Family Structure between Urban and Rural Areas: On the Basis of the 2010 National Census Data,” Social Sciences in China, Vol.34, No.12, pp. 60-77+205-206, 2013 (in Chinese).
-  C. Hsiao, “Analysis of panel data,” Cambridge University Press, 2003.
-  W. Wang and Y. Liu, “Population aging and upgrading of household consumption structure: An empirical study based on CFPS2012 data,” J. of Shandong University (Philosophy and Social Sciences), Vol.67, No.5, pp. 84-92, 2017 (in Chinese).
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.