A Color Calibration Method Based on Color Component Projection for Suppression of False Color Caused by Iterative Distribution Transfer
Dongsheng Xu*, Shi Bao*,, Go Tanaka**, Chuanying Yang*, and Fengyun Zuo***
*School of Information Engineering, Inner Mongolia University of Technology
49 Aimin Street, Xincheng District, Hohhot, Inner Mongolia 010051, China
1 Yamanohata, Mizuho-cho, Mizuho-ku, Nagoya, Aichi 467-8501, Japan
***School of Computer and Information, Inner Mongolia Medical University
Jinchuan Development Zone, Hohhot, Inner Mongolia 010110, China
Different imaging conditions often result in different color reproductions. Hence, color reproductions must be calibrated when images are captured under different imaging conditions. Herein, a new color calibration method based on iterative distributed transfer (IDT) is proposed. IDT is used to preliminarily calibrate color reproductions, and the results are known as preliminary results. Because IDT may result in unnatural colors, namely false colors, the projected color components of the input image are used to suppress the false colors, and the results are the final results. To obtain the final results, a series of projection coefficients must be calculated. By minimizing the objective function, in which the preliminary results are used as the target for the final results, the projection coefficients are calculated. Simultaneously, the weight associated with the false color is incorporated into the objective function such that the final results do not depend significantly on the preliminary results when the IDT yields false colors. Meanwhile, to quantitatively evaluate the false color, a false color index is proposed herein. The proposed method can suppress false colors and offers high color-adjustment capabilities. The effectiveness of the method is verified based on evaluation indexes and the observation of experimental results.
-  F. Pitié, A. C. Kokaram, and R. Dahyot, “Automated colour grading using colour distribution transfer,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Vol.107, No.1-2, pp. 123-137, 2007.
-  R. C. Gonzalez and R. E. Woods, “Digital Image Processing,” 3rd edition, Prentice Hall, 2001.
-  E. Reinhard, M. Ashikhmin, B. Gooch, and P. Shirley, “Color transfer between images,” IEEE Computer Graphics and Application, Vol.21, No.5, pp. 34-41, 2001.
-  T. Welsh, M. Ashikhmin, and K. Mueller, “Transferring color to greyscale images,” ACM Trans. on Graphics, Vol.21, No.3, pp. 277-280, 2002.
-  M. Zhang and N. D. Georganas, “Fast color correction using principal regions mapping in different color spaces,” Real-Time Imaging, Vol.10, No.1, pp. 23-30, 2004.
-  X. Xiao and L. Ma, “Gradient-preserving color transfer,” Computer Graphics Forum, Vol.28, No.7, pp. 1879-1886, 2009.
-  J. Rabin, J. Delon, and Y. Gousseau, “Removing artefacts from color and contrast modifications,” IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol.20, No.11, pp. 3073-3085, 2011.
-  J.-D. Yoo, M.-K. Park, J.-H. Cho, and K. H. Lee, “Local color transfer between images using dominant colors,” J. of Electronic Imaging, Vol.22, No.3, Article No.033003, 2013.
-  W.-S. Chen, M.-L. Huang, and C.-M. Wang, “Optimizing color transfer using color similarity measurement,” 2016 IEEE/ACIS 15th Int. Conf. on Computer and Information Science (ICIS), doi: 10.1109/ICIS.2016.7550799, 2016.
-  B. Arbelot, R. Vergne, T. Hurtut, and J. Thollot, “Local texture-based color transfer and colorization,” Computers & Graphics, Vol.62, pp. 15-27, 2017.
-  D. Wang, C. Zou, G. Li, C. Gao, Z. Su, and P. Tan, “L0 Gradient-Preserving Color Transfer,” Computer Graphics Forum, Vol.36, No.7, pp. 93-103, 2017.
-  X. Fu, M. Meng, and G. Tanaka, “A Proposal of Color Calibration Method Based on Projection of Color Components for Images Taken by Different Cameras,” IEICE Technical Report, Vol.117, No.235, pp. 49-52, 2017 (in Japanese).
-  H. Niu, Q. Lu, and C. Wang, “Color Correction Based on Histogram Matching and Polynomial Regression for Image Stitching,” 2018 IEEE 3rd Int. Conf. on Image, Vision and Computing (ICIVC), pp. 257-261, 2018.
-  Y. Ueda, H. Misawa, T. Koga, N. Suetake, and E. Uchino, “IDT and color transfer-based color calibration for images taken by different cameras,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.24, No.1, pp. 123-133, doi: 10.20965/jaciii.2020.p0123, 2020.
-  S. Kullback and R. A. Leibler, “On Information and Sufficiency,” The Annals of Mathematical Statistics, Vol.22, No.1, pp. 79-86, 1951.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.