MCRA: Multicost Rerouting Algorithm in SDN
Kuangyu Qin*, Bin Fu**, Peng Chen***, and Jianhua Huang*
*School of Computer Science and Information Security, Guilin University of Electronic Technology
No.1 Jinji Road, Guilin, Guangxi 541004, China
**Department of Computer Science, University of Texas Rio Grande Valley
Edinburg, Texas, USA
***Network and Information Technology Center, Guilin University of Electronic Technology
No.1 Jinji Road, Guilin, Guangxi 541004, China
A software-defined network (SDN) partitions a network into a control plane and data plane. Utilizing centralized control, an SDN can accurately control the routing of data flow. In the network, links have various costs, such as bandwidth, delay, and hops. However, it is difficult to obtain a multicost optimization path. If online rerouting can be realized under multiple cost, then network performance can be improved. This paper proposes a multicost rerouting algorithm for elephant flow, as the latter is the main factor affecting network traffic. By performing path trimming, the algorithm can obtain the approximate optimal solution of (1+e) in polynomial time. Simulation results show that the proposed algorithm yields good performance.
-  H. Farhady, H. Y. Lee, and A. Nakao, “Software-Defined Networking: A survey,” Computer Networks, Vol.81, pp. 79-95, 2015.
-  S. Civanlar, M. Parlakisik, A. M. Tekalp, B. Gorkemli, B. Kaytaz, and E. Onem, “A QoS-enabled OpenFlow environment for Scalable Video streaming,” Proc. of the 2010 IEEE Globecom Workshops, pp. 351-356, 2010.
-  J. Yan, H. Zhang, Q. Shuai, B. Liu, and X. Guo, “HiQoS: An SDN-based multipath QoS solution,” China Communications, Vol.12, No.5, pp. 123-133, 2015.
-  H. E. Egilmez, S. T. Dane, K. T. Bagci, and A. M. Tekalp, “OpenQoS: An OpenFlow controller design for multimedia delivery with end-to-end Quality of Service over Software-Defined Networks,” Proc. of the 2012 Asia Pacific Signal and Information Processing Association Annual Summit and Conf., pp. 1-8, 2012.
-  T.-F. Yu, K. Wang, and Y.-H. Hsu, “Adaptive routing for video streaming with QoS support over SDN networks,” Proc. of the 2015 Int. Conf. on Information Networking (ICOIN), pp. 318-323, 2015.
-  M. Karakus and A. Durresi, “A Scalable Inter-AS QoS Routing Architecture in Software Defined Network (SDN),” Proc. of the 2015 IEEE 29th Int. Conf. on Advanced Information Networking and Applications, pp. 148-154, 2015.
-  H. Li, G. Yang, H. Lu, X. Fu, and Z. Shen, “Flow scheduling of elephant flows in SDN data center network based on ant colony algorithm,” Application Research of Computers, Vol.36, No.12, pp. 3837-3841, 2019 (in Chinese).
-  S. Fang, Y. Yu, C. H. Foh, and K. M. M. Aung, “A Loss-Free Multipathing Solution for Data Center Network Using Software-Defined Networking Approach,” IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol.49, No.6, pp. 2723-2730, 2013.
-  M. Sandri, A. Silva, L. A. Rocha, and F. L. Verdi, “On the Benefits of Using Multipath TCP and Openflow in Shared Bottlenecks,” Proc. of the 2015 IEEE 29th Int. Conf. on Advanced Information Networking and Applications, pp. 9-16, 2015.
-  T. N. Subedi, K. K. Nguyen, and M. Cheriet, “OpenFlow-based in-network Layer-2 adaptive multipath aggregation in data centers,” Computer Communications, Vol.61, pp. 58-69, 2015.
-  X. Sun, Z. Jia, M. Zhao, and Z. Zhang, “Multipath Load Balancing in SDN/OSPF Hybrid Network,” Proc. of the 13th IFIP WG 10.3 Int. Conf. on Network and Parallel Computing (NPC 2016), pp. 93-100, 2016.
-  X. Yin, D. Wu, Z. Wang, X. Shi, and J. Wu, “DIMR: Disjoint Interdomain Multipath Routing,” Computer Networks, Vol.91, pp. 356-375, 2015.
-  M. J. Anjum, I. Raza, and S. A. Hussain, “Real-Time Multipath Transmission Protocol (RMTP): A Software Defined Networks (SDN) based Routing Protocol for Data Centric Networks,” Proc. of the 2019 Int. Conf. on Electrical, Communication, and Computer Engineering (ICECCE), pp. 1-6, 2019.
-  Y.-D. Lin, T.-L. Liu, S.-H. Wang, and Y.-C. Lai, “Proactive multipath routing with a predictive mechanism in software-defined networks,” Int. J. of Communication Systems, Vol.32, Issue 14, Article No.e4065, 2019.
-  Y. Cao, M. Xu, X. Fu, and E. Dong, “Explicit multipath congestion control for data center networks,” Proc. of the 9th ACM Conf. on Emerging Networking Experiments and Technologies (CoNext’13), pp. 73-84, 2013.
-  A. R. Curtis, W. Kim, and P. Yalagandula, “Mahout: Low-overhead datacenter traffic management using end-host-based elephant detection,” 2011 Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, pp. 1629-1637, 2011.
-  F. Carpio, A. Engelmann, and A. Jukan, “DiffFlow: Differentiating Short and Long Flows for Load Balancing in Data Center Networks,” Proc. of the 2016 IEEE Global Communications Conf. (GLOBECOM), pp. 1-6, 2016.
-  H. T. Zaw and A. H. Maw, “Elephant flow detection and delay-aware flow rerouting in software-defined network,” Proc. of the 2017 9th Int. Conf. on Information Technology and Electrical Engineering (ICITEE), pp. 1-6, 2017.
-  C. Li and Y.-H. Wu, “Strategy of Data Manage Center Network Traffic Scheduling Based on SDN,” Proc. of the 2016 Int. Conf. on Intelligent Transportation, Big Data and Smart City (ICITBS), pp. 29-34, 2016.
-  C.-Y. Lin, C. Chen, J.-W. Chang, and Y. H. Chu, “Elephant flow detection in datacenters using OpenFlow-based Hierarchical Statistics Pulling,” Proc. of the 2014 IEEE Global Communications Conf., pp. 2264-2269, 2014.
-  Y.-H. Huang, W.-Y. Shih, and J.-L. Huang, “A classification-based elephant flow detection method using application round on SDN environments,” Proc. of the 2017 19th Asia-Pacific Network Operations and Management Symp. (APNOMS), pp. 231-234, 2017.
-  S.-C. Chao, K. C.-J. Lin, and M.-S. Chen, “Flow Classification for Software-Defined Data Centers Using Stream Mining,” IEEE Trans. on Services Computing, Vol.12, No.1, pp. 105-116, 2016.
-  C. Bi, X. Luo, T. Ye, and Y. Jin, “On precision and scalability of elephant flow detection in data center with SDN,” Proc. of the 2013 IEEE Globecom Workshops (GC Wkshps), pp. 1227-1232, 2013.
-  C. Wang, G. Zhang, H. Chen, and H. Xu, “An ACO-based elephant and mice flow scheduling system in SDN,” Proc. of the 2017 IEEE 2nd Int. Conf. on Big Data Analysis (ICBDA), pp. 859-863, 2017.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.