Modeling a Fuzzy System for Diagnosis of Syndromes with Integrated Eastern and Western Medicine Using the Importance of Symptoms
Hoang Phuong Nguyen
Informatics Division, Faculty of Mathematics-Informatics, Thang Long University
Nghiem Xuan Yem Road, Hoang Mai District, Hanoi, Vietnam
In this study, we present an approach to include the importance of symptoms for the diagnosis of syndromes with integrated eastern and western medicine. We also focus on knowledge representation and inference engine of our proposed system using the importance of symptoms. The innovative point of this study is combining the degree of diagnosis of syndrome of Eastern medicine with that of disease of Western medicine when both medicines are associated to a common “disease” name to obtain more accurate diagnosis. Moreover, the importance of symptoms in the inference rules in medical expert systems still has an important role in the diagnosis of syndromes. Based on this approach, the system can adapt more with real clinical practice of integrated eastern and western medicine diagnosis. Finally, examples are provided to demonstrate the advantage of this approach.
-  J. Zhang, Y. Bai, and L. Chen, “Integrating Chinese and Western medicine: A Handbook for Practitioners,” Foreign Languages Press, 1993.
-  E. Shortliffe, “Computer Based Medical Consultation: MYCIN,” Elsevier, 1976.
-  J. S. Bennett and R. S. Engelmore, “Experience using EMYCIN,” B. G. Buchanan and E. H. Shortliffe (Eds.), “Rule-Based Expert Systems,” pp. 314-328, Addison-Wesley, 1984.
-  R. A. Miller, H. E. Pople, and J. D. Myers, “INTERNIST-1, An experimental Computer-Based Diagnostic Consultant for General Internal Medicine,” New England J. of Medicine, Vol.307, No.8, pp. 468-476, 1982.
-  L. A. Zadeh, “Fuzzy Sets,” Information and Control, Vol.8, pp. 338-353, 1965.
-  L. A. Zadeh, “The role of fuzzy logic in the management of uncertainty in expert systems,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Vol.11, pp. 199-227, 1983.
-  K.-P. Adlassnig and G. Kolarz, “CADIAG-2: Computer-Assisted Medical Diagnosis Using Fuzzy Subsets,” M. M. Gupta and E. Sanchez (Eds.), “Approximate Reasoning in Decision Analysis,” pp. 219-247, North-Holland Publishing Company, 1982.
-  N. H. Phuong, “Towards intelligent Systems for integrated Western and Eastern Medicine,” The Gioi Publishers, 1997.
-  N. H. Phuong, “Design of a fuzzy system for diagnosis and treatment of integrated Eastern and Western medicine,” Int. J. General System, Vol.30, No.2, pp.219-239.
-  N. H. Phuong, T. Yanaru, and V. Q. Minh, “Approach to developing a diagnostic system combining disease diagnosis of Western Medicine with syndrome differentiation of Traditional Oriental Medicine,” Proc. of the 12th Annual Meeting of Biomedical Fuzzy System Association (BMFSA), pp. 5-11, 1999.
-  N. H. Phuong and N. X. Tung, “A fuzzy system for classification of Western and Eastern medicaments,” Proc. of the 4th Asian Fuzzy Systems Symposium (AFSS2000), pp. 629-632, 2000.
-  M. Daniel, P. Hájek, and P. H. Nguyen, “CADIAG-2 and MYCIN-like systems,” Artificial Intelligence in Medicine, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 241-259, 1997.
-  N. H. Phuong, N. B. Tu, and A. Ohsato, “Developing Case-Based Reasoning System for Medical Consultation Using the Importance of Features,” J. of Advanced Computational Intelligence, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 41-50, 2002.
-  M. T. Nu, N. H. Phuong, and K. Hirota, “Modeling a Fuzzy Rule Based Expert System combining Positive and Negative Knowledge for Medical Consultations using the importance of Symptoms,” Proc. of Joint 17th World Congress of Int. Fuzzy Systems Association and 9th Int. Conf. on Soft Computing and Intelligent Systems (IFSA-SCIS2017), 2017.
-  N. H. Phuong and V. Kreinovich, “Fuzzy Logic and its Applications in Medicine,” Int. J. of Medical Informatics, Vol.62, pp. 165-173, 2001.
-  P. Hajek, T. Havranek, and R. Jirousek, “Uncertain Information Processing in Expert Systems,” CRC Press, 1992.
-  T. Thuy, P. H. Nhac, and H. B. Chau (Eds.), “Traditional Medicine,” Medical Publisher, 2005 (in Vietnamese).
-  T. V. Ky, “Handbook of Diagnosis and Treatment of Oriental Medicine,” Danang Publisher, 2015 (in Vietnamese).