Discussing Psychological Changes in College Students Who Participate in Physical Education Using Structural Equation Modeling
Jung-Wen Wu* and Tsung-Kuo Tien-Liu**,
*School of Liberal Education, Kaohsiung Campus, Shih Chien University
200 University Road, Neimen, Kaohsiung 84550, Taiwan
**Office of Physical Education, Fu Jen Catholic University
No.510 Zhongzheng Road, Xinzhuang District, New Taipei City 24205, Taiwan
Objectives: To examine self-esteem in college students who participate in physical education (PE), the influence of psychological trends on self-esteem, and the possible influence of passion. Motivations: This study aims to determine whether passion affects participants’ self-esteem and psychological well-being. Methods: Subjects included 183 students enrolled in university PE classes (46 men and 137 women) with an average age of 19.58 (SD = 6.19). Self-esteem, passion, and psychological well-being were measured using a fuzzy questionnaire and descriptive statistics and structural equation modeling were performed through fuzzy statistical analysis. Findings: 1. The self-esteem, passion, and psychological well-being scales had good reliability and validity. 2. The model’s dimensional goodness of fit was satisfactory (χ2 = 281.601(182) = 1.952, GFI = 0.863, AGFI = 0.821, RMSEA = 0.072, SRMR = 0.649, TLI [NNFI] = 0.918, IFI = 0.925, CFI = 0.942). 3. Passion had a direct influence on well-being and an indirect influence on self-esteem. Well-being had a direct influence on self-esteem. Innovations: The passion scale and psychological well-being scale were confirmed to have good reliability and validity. The new method of fuzzy statistical analysis used in this study provides new research techniques for investigation and research into psychological trends in the field of sports. Value: In the teaching process, PE teachers should encourage students’ passion for participation to better their psychological well-being and self-esteem.
-  P. C. Patel, S. Thorgren, and J. Wincent, “Leadership, passion and performance: A study of job creation projects during the recession,” British J. of Management, Vol.26, No.2, pp. 211-224, doi: 10.1111/1467-8551.12092, 2015.
-  C. Anagnostopoulos, M. Winand, and D. Papadimitriou, “Passion in the workplace: empirical insights from team sport organisations,” European Sport Management Quarterly, Vol.16, No.4, pp. 385-412, 2016.
-  E. L. Deci and R. M. Ryan, “Intrinsic motivation and self-determination in human behavior,” Plenum, 1985.
-  E. L. Deci and R. M. Ryan, “The “what” and “why” of goal pursuits: Human needs and the self-determination of behavior,” Psychological Inquiry, Vol.11, No.4, pp. 227-268, doi: 10.1207/S15327965PLI1104_01, 2000.
-  R. Amemiya and Y. Sakairi, “The effects of passion and mindfulness on the intrinsic motivation of Japanese athletes,” Personality and Individual Differences, Vol.142, pp. 132-138, doi: 10.1016/j.paid.2019.01.006, 2019.
-  R. J. Vallerand, C. Blanchard, G. A. Mageau, R. Koestner, C. Ratelle, M. Léonard, M. Gagné, and J. Marsolais, “Les passions de l’Âme: On Obsessive and Harmonious Passion,” J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.85, No.4, pp. 756-767, doi: 10.1037/0022-35184.108.40.2066, 2003.
-  L. Schiphof-Godart and F. J. Hettinga, “Passion and pacing in endurance performance,” Frontiers in Physiology, Vol.8, Article No.83, doi: 10.3389/fphys.2017.00083, 2017.
-  J. Verner-Filion, R. J. Vallerand, C. E. Amiot, and I. Mocanu, “The two roads from passion to sport performance and psychological well-being: The mediating role of need satisfaction, deliberate practice, and achievement goals,” Psychology of Sport and Exercise, Vol.30, pp. 19-29, doi: 10.1016/j.psychsport.2017.01.009, 2017.
-  B. J. Schellenberg and P. Gaudreau, “Savoring and dampening with passion: How passionate people respond when good things happen,” J. of Happiness Studies, Vol.21, pp. 921-941, doi: 10.1007/s10902-019-00114-w, 2019.
-  M. A. Yukhymenko-Lescroart and G. Sharma, “The Relationship Between Faculty Members’ Passion for Work and Well-Being,” J. of Happiness Studies, Vol.20, No.3, pp. 863-881, 2019.
-  M. T. Luth, C. L. Flinchbaugh, and J. Ross, “On the bike and in the cubicle: The role of passion and regulatory focus in cycling and work satisfaction,” Psychology of Sport and Exercise, Vol.28, pp. 37-45, doi: 10.1016/j.psychsport.2016.10.003, 2017.
-  A. Szabo, M. D. Griffiths, Z. Demetrovics, R. de la Vega, R. Ruíz-Barquín, I. Soós, and R. Kovacsik, “Obsessive and harmonious passion in physically active Spanish and Hungarian men and women: A brief report on cultural and gender differences,” Int. J. of Psychology, Vol.54, No.5, pp. 598-603, doi: 10.1002/ijop.12517, 2019.
-  R. Kovacsik, M. D. Griffiths, H. M. Pontes, I. Soós, R. de la Vega, R. Ruíz-Barquín, and A. Szabo, “The role of passion in exercise addiction, exercise volume, and exercise intensity in long-term exercisers,” Int. J. of Mental Health and Addiction, Vol.17, pp. 1-12, doi: 10.1007/s11469-018-9880-1, 2018.
-  J. D. McCarthy and D. R. Hoge, “Analysis of age effects in longitudinal studies of adolescent self-esteem,” Developmental Psychology, Vol.18, No.3, pp. 372-379, doi: 10.1037/0012-16220.127.116.112, 1982.
-  C. K. J. Wang, L. Tan, and E. I. Dairianathan, “Achievement Goals, Implicit Theories, and Intrinsic Motivation: A Test of Domain Specificity Across Music, Visual Art, and Sports,” J. of Research in Music Education, Vol.66, No.3, pp. 320-337, doi: 10.1177/0022429418784563, 2018.
-  S. Coopersmith, “The antecedents of self-esteem,” W. H. Freeman and Company, 1976.
-  J. K. Bosson and W. B. Swann, Jr., “Self-liking, self-competence, and the quest for self-verification,” Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol.25, No.10, pp. 1230-1241, doi: 10.1177/0146167299258005, 1999.
-  R. W. Tafarodi and C. Vu, “Two-dimension self-esteem and reactions to success and failure,” Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, Vol.23, pp. 626-635, doi: 10.1177/0146167297236006, 1997.
-  H. Gustafsson, G. Martinent, S. Isoard-Gautheur, P. Hassmén, and E. Guillet-Descas, “Performance based self-esteem and athlete-identity in athlete burnout: A person-centered approach,” Psychology of Sport and Exercise, Vol.38, pp. 56-60, doi: 10.1016/j.psychsport.2018.05.017, 2018.
-  R. Layard, “Happiness: Lessons from a new science,” Penguin, 2006.
-  E. Diener, “Subjective well-being,” Psychological Bulletin, Vol.95, No.3, pp. 542-575, doi: 10.1037/0033-2909.95.3.542, 1984.
-  R. M. Ryan and E. L. Deci, “Self-determination theory and the facilitation of intrinsic motivation, social development, and well-being,” American Psychologist, Vol.55, No.1, pp. 68-78, doi: 10.1037/0003-066X.55.1.68, 2000.
-  R. M. Ryan and E. L. Deci, “On happiness and human potentials: A review of research on hedonic and eudaimonic well-being,” Annual Review of Psychology, Vol.52, No.1, pp. 141-166, doi: 10.1146/annurev.psych.52.1.141, 2001.
-  C. D. Ryff, “Beyond Ponce de Leon and life satisfaction: New directions in quest of successful ageing,” Int. J. of Behavioral Development, Vol.12, pp. 35-55, doi: 10.1177/016502548901200102, 1989.
-  C. D. Ryff, “Happiness Is Everything, or Is It? Explorations on the Meaning of Psychological Well-being.” J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.57, No.6, pp. 1069-1081, doi: 10.1037/0022-3518.104.22.1689, 1989.
-  C. D. Ryff and C. L. M. Keyes, “The structure of psychological well-being revisited,” J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.69, No.4, pp. 719-727, doi: 10.1037/0022-3522.214.171.1249, 1995.
-  Y. Iwasaki, “Roles of leisure in coping with stress among university students: A repeated-assessment field study,” Anxiety, Stress and Coping, Vol.16, No.1, pp. 31-57, doi: 10.1080/1061580021000057022, 2003.
-  B. J. Boley, “Life satisfaction, leisure satisfaction, and leisure participation among publicly housed older adults,” Doctoral dissertation, Capella University, Abstract from Proquest, 2002.
-  A. Campbell, P. E. Converse, and W. L. Rodgers, “The quality of American life: Perceptions, evaluations, and Satisfactions,” Russell Sage Foundation, 1976.
-  R. Topp and J. S. Stevenson, “The effects of attendance and effort on outcomes among older adults in a long-term exercise program,” Research in Nursing and Health, Vol.17, No.1, pp. 15-24, doi: 10.1002/nur.4770170104, 1994.
-  B. L. Roberts, R. Dunkle, and M. Haug, “Physical, psychological, and social resources moderators of the relationship of stress to mental health to the very old,” J. of Gerontology, Vol.49, No.1, pp. S35-S43, doi: 10.1093/geronj/49.1.S35, 1994.
-  D. Wheatley and C. Bickerton, “Subjective well-being and engagement in arts, culture and sport,” J. of Cultural Economics, Vol.41, No.1, pp. 23-45, doi: 10.1007/s10824-016-9270-0, 2017.
-  E. Diener, R. A. Emmons, R. J. Larsen, and S. Griffin, “The satisfaction with life scale,” J. of Personality Assessment, Vol.49, pp. 71-75, 1985.
-  T.-K. Tien-Liu, C.-C. Liu, and C.-C. Wang, “A New Approach on Investigation Psychological Propensity in Physical Education,” Int. J. of Intelligent Technologies Applied Statistics, Vol.11, No.1, pp. 73-86, 2018.
-  B. Wu, T.-K. Tien-Liu, C.-L. Wu, and W. Lai, “Statistical Analysis with Soft Computation for Fuzzy Answering Survey.” Communications in Statistics – Simulation and Computation, Vol.45, No.4, pp. 1295-1306, doi: 10.1080/03610918.2013.826362, 2016.
-  B. Wu, W. Lai, C.-L. Wu, and T.-K. Tien-Liu, “Correlation with Fuzzy Data and Its Applications th the 12-Year Compulsory Education in Taiwan,” Communications in Statistics – Simulation and Computation, Vol.45, No.4, pp. 1337-1354, 2016.
-  B. Wu, Y.-T. Cheng, and T.-K. Tien-Liu, “Fuzzy Evaluation and Decision Making for Indigenous Physical Curriculum,” Int. J. of Information and Management Sciences, Vol.26, pp. 1-11, doi: 10.6186/IJIMS.2015.26.1.1, 2015.
-  T.-K. Tien-Liu, Y.-Y. Hsu, and B. Wu, “Evaluating city leisure index with soft computing Methods,” Int. J. of Innovative Management, Information and Production, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 95-107, 2015.
-  T.-K. Tien-Liu and B. Wu, “Strategic decision system in a leisure Sports Market,” Int. J. of Innovative Management, Information and Production, Vol.4, No.3, pp. 11-20, 2013.
-  W.-T. Lai and T.-K. Tien-Liu, “Evaluate the Employability of Higher Education by Fuzzy Data,” Int. J. of Intelligent Technologies and Applied Statistics, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 51-64, doi: 10.6148/IJITAS.2013.0601.04, 2013.
-  M. Rosenberg, “Society and Adolescent Self-Image,” Princeton University Press, 1965.
-  M. Rosenberg, “Conceiving the Self,” Basic Books, 1979.
-  C. Dobson, W. J. Goudy, P. M. Keith, and E. A. Powers, “Further analysis of Rosenberg’s Self-esteem Scale,” Psychological Reports, Vol.44, No.2, pp. 639-641, doi: 10.2466/pr0.19126.96.36.1999, 1979.
-  J. S. Fleming and B. E. Courtney, “The dimensionality of self-esteem: II. Hierarchical facet model for revised measurement scales,” J. of Personality and Social Psychology, Vol.46, No.2, pp. 404-421, doi: 10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.524, 1984.
-  Y. Zhao, A. St-Louis, and R. J. Vallerand, “On the validation of the passion scale in Chinese,” Psychology of Well-Being, Vol.5, Article No.3, doi: 10.1186/s13612-015-0031-1, 2015.
-  C.-H. Li, L.-K. Chi, and H.-N. Peng, “Construct Validity of Passion Scale,” Physical Education J., Vol.40, No.3, pp. 77-87, doi: 10.6222/pej.4003.200709.1107, 2007 (in Chinese).
-  E. Diener, D. Wirtz, R. Biswas-Diener, W. Tov, C. Kim-Prieto, D. Choi, and S. Oishi, “New measures of well-being,” E. Diener (Ed.), “Assessing Well-Being,” pp. 247-266, 2009.
-  C.-C. Lin, “Chinese Revision of the “Psychological Well-Being Scale”,” Psychological Testing, Vol.62, No.4, pp. 261-277, 2015.
-  H. Y. Nguyen and B. Wu, “Fundamentals of statistics with fuzzy data,” Springer-Verlag, 2006.
-  J. F. Hair, R. L. Tatham, R. E. Anderson, and W. C. Black, “Multivariate data analysis,” 5th edition, Prentice Hall, 1998.
-  C. Fornell and D. F. Larcker, “Evaluating structural equation models with unobservable variables and measurement error,” J. of Marketing Research, Vol.18, No.1, pp. 39-50, doi: 10.2307/3151312, 1981.
-  W. J. Doll, W. Xia, and G. Torkzadeh, “A confirmatory factor analysis of the end-user computing satisfaction instrument,” MIS Quarterly, Vol.18, No.4, pp. 453-461, 1994.
-  R. C. MacCallum, K. F. Widaman, S. Zhang, and S. Hong, “Sample size in factor analysis,” Psychological Methods, Vol.4, No.1, pp. 84-99, doi: 10.1037/1082-989X.4.1.84, 1999.
-  L.-T. Hu and P. M. Bentler, “Cutoff criteria for fit indexes in covariance structure analysis: Conventional criteria versus new alternatives,” Structural Equation Modeling: A Multidisciplinary J., Vol.6, No.1, pp. 1-55, doi: 10.1080/10705519909540118, 1999.