A New Sensing Direction Rotation Approach to Area Coverage Optimization in Directional Sensor Network
Song Peng and Yonghua Xiong
School of Automation, China University of Geosciences
No.388 Lumo Road, Hongshan District, Wuhan, Hubei 430074, China
Coverage is a crucial issue in directional sensor networks (DSNs), and a high coverage ratio ensures a good quality of service (QoS). However, a DSN encounters various problems because they use directional sensor nodes, which are characterized by directionality and a definite sensing angle. To address the area coverage problem of DSNs, this paper proposes a new sensing direction rotation approach to optimize coverage. First, we conduct grid partitioning in the target area and propose a coverage verification algorithm to justify the coverage situation of the grid points. Then, we utilize particle swarm optimization (PSO) to find an optimal sensing direction group of the directional sensor nodes to maximize the coverage ratio. Extensive simulation experiments were conducted to prove the effectiveness and reliability of our proposed approach. The results show that the approach improves the area coverage ratio of DSNs in various scenarios.
-  B. Cao, X. Kang, J. Zhao, P. Yang, Z. Lv, and X. Liu, “Differential Evolution-Based 3-D Directional Wireless Sensor Network Deployment Optimization,” IEEE Internet of Thing J., Vol.5, No.5, pp. 3594-3605, 2018.
-  H. S. Aghdasi and M. Abbaspour, “Energy efficient area coverage by evolutionary camera node scheduling algorithms in visual sensor networks,” Soft Computing, Vol.20, No.3, pp. 1191-1202, 2016.
-  S. Mishra, R. Sharma, and S. Saxena, “The Issue of Coverage in Directional Sensor Network,” Int. J. of Computer Applications, Vol.115, No.10, pp. 17-20, 2015.
-  J. Ai and A. A. Abouzeid, “Coverage by directional sensors in randomly deployed wireless sensor networks,” J. of Combinatorial Optimization, Vol.11, No.1, pp. 21-41, 2006.
-  M. R. Bonyadi and Z. Michalewicz, “Particle Swarm Optimization for Single Objective Continuous Space Problems: A Review,” Evolutionary Computation, Vol.25, No.1, pp. 1-54, 2017.
-  S. Yangy, M. Liz, and J. Wu, “Scan-Based Movement-Assisted Sensor Deployment Methods in Wireless Sensor Networks,” IEEE Trans. on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol.18, No.8, pp. 1108-1121, 2007.
-  G. Wang, G. Cao, and T. F. La Porta, “Movement-assisted sensor deployment,” IEEE Trans. on Mobile Computing, Vol.5, No.6, pp. 640-652, 2006.
-  S. Panov and S. Koceski, “Area coverage in wireless sensor network by using harmony search algorithm,” Proc. of the 3rd Mediterranean Conf. on Embedded Computing (MECO). pp. 210-213, 2014.
-  J. A. Torkestani, “An adaptive energy-efficient area coverage algorithm for wireless sensor network,” Ad Hoc Networks, Vol.11, No.6, pp. 1655-1666, 2013.
-  Y. Zou and K. Chakrabarty, “Sensor deployment and target localization based on virtual forces,” Proc. of the 22nd Annual Joint Conf. of the IEEE Computer and Communications Societies (IEEE INFOCOM 2003), pp. 1293-1303, 2003.
-  J. Li, R. Wang, H. Huang, and L. Sun, “Voronoi Based Area Coverage Optimization for Directional Sensor Networks,” Proc. of the 2009 2nd Int. Symp. on Electronic Commerce and Security, pp. 488-493, 2009.
-  C.-K. Liang and Y.-S. Lo, “A Deployment Scheme Based Upon Virtual Force for Directional Sensor Networks,” Sensors & Transducers, Vol.194, No.11, pp. 35-41, 2015.
-  Y. Jiang, J. Mei, N. Wang, and S. Sheng, “Directional Sensor Network Coverage Optimization Algorithm with Modify Virtual Force,” J. of Chinese Computer Systems, Vol.39, No.3, pp. 457-462, 2018 (in Chinese).
-  G. Zhang, S. You, J. Ren, D. Li, and L. Wang, “Local Coverage Optimization Strategy Based on Voronoi for Directional Sensor Networks,” Sensors, Vol.16, Issue 12, Article No.2183, 2016.
-  T.-W. Sung and C.-S. Yang, “Localised sensor direction adjustments with geometric structures of Voronoi diagram and Delaunay triangulation for directional sensor networks,” Int. J. of Ad Hoc and Ubiquitous Computing, Vol.20, No.2, pp. 91-106, 2015.
-  T.-W. Sung and C.-S. Yang, “Distributed Voronoi-Based Self-Redeployment for Coverage Enhancement in a Mobile Directional Sensor Network,” Int. J. of Distributed Sensor Networks, Vol.9, No.22, 15pp., 2013.
-  T. Lin, H. A. Santoso, K. Wu, and G. Wang, “Enhanced Deployment Algorithms for Heterogeneous Directional Mobile Sensors in a Bounded Monitoring Area,” IEEE Trans. on Mobile Computing, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 744-758, 2017.
-  H. Ma and Y. Liu, “Some problems of directional sensor networks,” Int. J. of Sensor Networks, Vol.2, No.1/2, pp. 44-52, 2007.
-  D. Tao, S. Tang, and L. Liu, “Constrained Artificial Fish-Swarm Based Area Coverage Optimization Algorithm for Directional Sensor Networks,” Proc. of the 2013 IEEE 10th Int. Conf. on Mobile Ad-Hoc and Sensor Systems. pp. 304-309, 2013.
-  J. Zhao and J. Zeng, “A Virtual Centripetal Force-Based Coverage-Enhancing Algorithm for Wireless Multimedia Sensor Networks,” IEEE Sensors J., Vol.10, No.8, pp. 1328-1334, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.