Improved Two-Stage Spectrum Sensing for Cognitive Radio Networks
Fidel Wasonga*, Thomas O. Olwal*, and Adnan Abu-Mahfouz*,**
*Tshwane University of Technology
Building 6-308, Pretoria, South Africa
**Council for Scientific and Industrial Research
Meiring Naudé Road, Brummeria, Pretoria 0184, South Africa
Cognitive radio employs an opportunistic spectrum access approach to ensure efficient utilization of the available spectrum by secondary users (SUs). To allow SUs to access the spectrum opportunistically, the spectrum sensing process must be fast and accurate to avoid possible interference with the primary users. Previously, two-stage spectrum sensing methods were proposed that consider the sensing time and sensing accuracy parameters independently at the cost of a non-optimal spectrum sensing performance. To resolve this non-optimality issue, we consider both parameters in the design of our spectrum sensing scheme. In our scheme, we first derive optimal thresholds using an optimization equation with an objective function of maximizing the probability of detection, subject to the minimal probability of error. We then minimize the average spectrum sensing time using signal-to-noise ratio estimation. Our simulation results show that the proposed improved two-stage spectrum sensing (ITSS) scheme provides a 4%, 7%, and 6% better probability of detection accuracy rate than two-stage combinations of energy detection (ED) and maximum eigenvalue detection, energy detection and cyclostationary feature detection (CFD), and ED and combination of maximum-minimum eigenvalue (CMME) detection, respectively. The ITSS is superior also to single-stage ED by 19% and shows an improved average spectrum sensing time.
-  T. O. Olwal, K. Djouani, and A. M. Kurien, “A Survey of Resource Management towards 5 G Radio Access Networks,” Vol.18, No.3, pp. 1656-1686, 2016.
-  Z. Liu, X. Feng, J. Zhang, Y. Liu, J. Zhang, and X. Zhang, “An improved rumor routing protocol based on optimized intersection angle theory and localization technologies in WSN,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Informatics, Vol.21, No.7, pp. 1172-1179, 2017.
-  F. Wasonga, T. O. Olwal, and A. M. Abu-Mahfouz, “Two stage efficient spectrum sensing for cognitive radios,” Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. of Industrial Electronics (ISIE) 2018, pp. 1308-1313, 2018.
-  J. Mitola and G. Q. Maguire, “Cognitive radio: Making software radios more personal,” Softw. Radio Technol. Sel. Readings, pp. 413-418, 2001.
-  S. Haykin, “Cognitive radio: Brain-empowered wireless communications,” IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., Vol.23, No.2, pp. 201-220, 2005.
-  F. Awin, E. Abdel-raheem, and K. Tepe, “Blind Spectrum Sensing Approaches for Interweaved Cognitive Radio System?: A Tutorial and Short,” IEEE Commun. Surv. Tutorials, pp. 1-25, 2018.
-  W. Ejaz, N. Hasan, and H. Kim, “SNR-based adaptive spectrum sensing for cognitive radio networks,” Int. J. Innov. Comput., Inf. Control, Vol.8, No.9, pp. 6095-6105, 2012.
-  M. Hamid, S. Member, N. Björsell, S. Member, S. Ben Slimane, and S. Member, “Energy and Eigenvalue Based Combined Fully Blind Self Adapted Spectrum Sensing Algorithm,” Vol.65, No.2, pp. 630-642, 2016.
-  Z. Khalaf, A. Nafkha, J. Palicot, and S. Ietr, “Low Complexity Enhanced Hybrid Spectrum Sensing Architectures for Cognitive Radio Equipment,” Int. J. Adv. Telecommun., Vol.3, No.3, pp. 215-227, 2010.
-  S. Deng, Y. Ji, F. Zhou, L. Du, B. Wang, and W. Wang, “Optimal threshold for dual-stage spectrum sensing in cognitive radio,” 8th Int. ICST Conf. on Communications and Networking in China (CHINACOM), pp. 963-968, 2013.
-  S. Geethu and G. L. Narayanan, “A Novel High Speed Two Stage Detector for Spectrum Sensing,” Procedia Technol., Vol.6, pp. 682-689, 2012.
-  P. R. Nair, A. P. Vinod, and A. K. Krishna, “A Fast Two Stage Detector for Spectrum Sensing in Cognitive Radios,” Vehicular Technology Conf. (VTC Fall) IEEE, pp. 1-5, 2011.
-  Z. Li, H. Wang, and J. Kuang, “A Two-Step Spectrum Sensing Scheme for Cognitive Radio Networks,” No.1, pp. 694-698, 2011.
-  W. Arif, S. Hoque, D. Sen, S. Baishya, and A. Chaubey, “Sensing time minimization using pipelining in two stage spectrum sensing,” 2nd Int. Conf. Signal Process. Integr. Networks (SPIN 2015), pp. 359-365, 2015.
-  L. Luo, S. Member, N. M. Neihart, S. Roy, and D. J. Allstot, “A Two-Stage Sensing Technique for Dynamic Spectrum Access,” IEEE Trans. Wirel. Commun., Vol.8, No.6, pp. 3028-3037, 2009.
-  Y. Yu, Y. Ji, W. Wang, and Y. Zhang, “Adaptive Two-Stage Sensing in Cognitive and Dynamic Spectrum Access Networks,” Indones. J. Electr. Eng. Comput. Sci., Vol.12, No.5, pp. 3257-3265, 2014.
-  W. Srisomboon, K. Prayote, and A. Lee, “Two-stage Spectrum Sensing for Cognitive Radio under Noise Uncertainty,” 8th Int. Conf. on Mobile Computing and Ubiqitous Networking (ICMU), pp. 19-24, 2015.
-  S. Geethu and G. L. Narayanan, “A novel selection based hybrid spectrum sensing technique for cognitive radios,” 2nd Int. Conf. on Power, Control and Embedded Systems (ICPCES), pp. 1-6, 2012.
-  R. Kishore, C. K. Ramesha, G. Joseph, and E. Sangodkar, “Waveform and energy based dual stage sensing technique for cognitive radio using RTL-SDR,” 2016 IEEE Annual India Conf. (INDICON 2016), p. 6, 2017.
-  L. Luo, C. Ghosh, and S. Roy, “Joint Optimization of Spectrum Sensing for Cognitive Radio Networks,” GLOBECOM, Vol.10, No.71, pp. 373-407, 2010.
-  K. Srisomboon, A. Prayote, and W. Lee, “Double constraints adaptive energy detection for spectrum sensing in cognitive radio networks,” 2015 8th Int. Conf. Mob. Comput. Ubiquitous Networking (ICMU 2015), pp. 76-77, 2015.
-  N. Pillay and H. Xu, “Eigenvalue-based spectrum sensing using the exact distribution of the maximum eigenvalue of a Wishart matrix,” IET Signal Process., Vol.7, No.9, pp. 833-842, 2013.
-  Y. Zeng and Y. Liang, “Maximum-Minimum eigen value detction for cognitive radio,” 18th Int. Symp. on Personal Indoor and Mobile Radio Communication (PIMRC 2007), pp. 1-5, 2007.
-  Y. Zeng and Y. Liang, “Eigenvalue-Based Spectrum Sensing Algorithms for Cognitive Radio,” IEEE Trans. Commuincation, Vol.57, No.6, pp. 1784-1793, 2009.
-  H. Liu and W. Chen, “A Robust Detection Algorithm Based on Maximum- minimum Eigenvalue for Cognitive Radio,” 8th Int. Conf. on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCOM), pp. 1-4, 2012.
-  F. Liu and H. Chen, “Maximum-minimum Eigenvalue Detection-based Method to Mitigate the Effect of the PUEA in Cognitive Radio Networks,” Int. Conf. on Wireless Commuincations and Signal Processing (WCSP), No.61071127, pp. 1-5, 2011.
-  S. Suwanboriboon and W. Lee, “A Novel Two-stage Spectrum Sensing for Cognitive Radio System,” 13th Int. Symp. on Commuincations and Information Technologies (ISCIT), pp. 176-181, 2013.
-  A. Maali, H. Semlali, N. Boumaaz, and A. Soulmani, “Energy detection versus Maximum Eigenvalue based detection: A comparative study,” 14th Int. Multi-Conf. on Systems, Signals & Devices (SSD), pp. 17-20, 2017.
-  H. S. Chen, W. Gao, and D. G. Daut, “Spectrum sensing for wireless microphone signals,” 5th Annual IEEE Communications Society Conf. on Sensor, Mesh and Ad Hoc Communications and Networks Workshops, SECON, pp. 1-5, 2008.
-  Y. Tachwali, W. J. Barnes, F. Basma, and H. H. Refai, “The feasibility of a fast fourier sampling technique for wireless microphone detection in IEEE 802.22 air interface,” Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.