Mining Association Rules on Enrollment Information of Higher Vocational Colleges Using the Apriori Algorithm
Qingdao Vocational and Technical College of Hotel Management
Qingdao, Shandong 266100, China
The enrollment work of higher vocational colleges is an important part of a school’s strategic decision-making. Developing a reasonable enrollment plan is highly important for a school’s development. Previous enrollment information contains extensive valuable information, which should be used by adopting effective methods of data processing. This study used an improved Apriori algorithm to mine the association rules of enrollment information to obtain the factors that affect enrollment. A higher vocational college in Qingdao was taken as the object of study. Three attributes were selected for association rule mining: college entrance exam results, applied majors, and student background. It was found that student registration rates were significantly different under different rules. The data mining results can provide policy support for future enrollment plans.
-  R. Agrawal, “Fast Algorithm for Mining Association Rules,” IEEE Int. Conf. Softw. Eng. Serv. Sci., Beijijng, China, pp. 487-499, 2014.
-  B. Kamsu-Foguem, F. Rigal, and F. Mauget, “Mining association rules for the quality improvement of the production process,” Exp. Syst. Appl., Vol.40, No.4, pp. 1034-1045, 2013.
-  S. Z. Feng and S. B. Zhou, “Application of Association Rules in the Enrollment Decision of Independent Colleges,” Comp. Eng. Sci., Vol.34, No.1, pp. 119-123, 2012.
-  P. G. Cheng, Y. Chen, and X. Yi, “Research on an improved association rules data mining algorithm and its application,” Microelectr. Comp., Vol.27, No.5, pp. 189-192, 2010.
-  Z. Abdullah, T. Herawan, N. Ahmad, and M. M. Deris, “Extracting highly positive association rules from students’ enrollment data,” Proc. Soc. Behav. Sci., Vol.28, No.7, pp. 107-111, 2011.
-  W. Ji and Z. W. Liu, “Research of Independent Colleges Admissions Base on Data Mining Technology of Association Rules,” Comp. Netw., Vol.41, No.13, pp. 58-61, 2015.
-  Z. Abdullah, T. Herawan, N. Ahmad, R. Ghazali, and M. M. Deris, “Mining Indirect Least Association Rule from Students’ Examination Dataset,” Int. Conf. Comp. Sci. Appl., pp. 783-797, 2014.
-  Z. Abdullah, T. Herawan, A. Noraziah, and MM Deris, “Mining Least Association Rules of Degree Level Programs Selected by Students,” Int. J. Multimed. Ubiquit. Eng., Vol.9, No.1, pp. 241-254, 2014.
-  D. J. Gu and L. Xia, “A Novel and Improved Apriori Algorithm,” Appl. Mechan. Mater., Vol.721, p. 4, 2014.
-  X. Y. Liu, Y. Z. Zhao, and M. H. Sun, “An Improved Apriori Algorithm Based on an Evolution-Communication Tissue-Like P System with Promoters and Inhibitors,” Discrete Dynam. Nat. Soc., Vol.2017, pp. 1-11, 2017.
-  L. Q. Lin and H. W. Yan, “Improved Apriori Algorithm in the Power System Fault,” Appl. Mechan. Mater., Vol.556-562, pp. 1510-1514, 2014.
-  X. Y. Yang, Z. Liu, and Y. Fu, “MapReduce as a programming model for association rules algorithm on Hadoop,” Int. Conf. Inform. Sci. Interact. Sci., Chengdu, China, pp. 99-102, 2010.
-  C. F. Tsai and M. Y. Chen, “Variable selection by association rules for customer churn prediction of multimedia on demand,” Exp. Syst. Appl., Vol.37, No.3, pp. 2006-2015, 2010.
-  Z. Zhao, Y. Ding, and M. Pan, “The analysis for association rules in university enrollment based on Apriori algorithm,” Microcomp. Appl., Vol.33, No.5, pp. 87-89, 2014.
-  I. S. Bamrah and A. Girdhar, “Investigation on impact of reservation policy on student enrollment using data mining,” IEEE Int. Conf. Comp. Intell. Comp. Res., Madurai, India, pp. 1-5, 2016.