A Dynamic Recommender System with Fused Time and Location Factors
Xinhua Wang*, Peng Yin*, Yukai Gao*, and Lei Guo**,
*School of Information Science and Engineering, Shandong Normal University
No.1 DaXue Road, Changqing District, Jinan, Shandong 250014, China
**School of Business, Shandong Normal University
No.1 DaXue Road, Changqing District, Jinan, Shandong 250014, China
A recommender system is an important tool to help users obtain content and overcome information overload. It can predict users’ interests and offer recommendations by analyzing their history behaviors. However, traditional recommender systems focus primarily on static user behavior analysis. Recently, with the promotion of the Netflix recommendation prize and the open dataset with location and time information, many researchers have focused on the dynamic characteristics of the recommender system (including the changes in the dynamic model of user interest), and begun to offer recommendations based on these dynamic features. Intuitively, these dynamic user features provide us with an effective method to learn user interests deeply. Based on the observations above, we present a dynamic fusion model by integrating geographical location, user preferences, and the time factor based on the Gibbs sampling process to provide better recommendations. To evaluate the performance of our proposed method, we conducted experiments on real-world datasets. The experimental results indicate that our proposed dynamic recommender system with fused time and location factors not only performs well in traditional scenarios, but also in sparsity situations where users appear at the first time.
-  A.-F. Rutkowski and C. S. Saunders, “Growing pains with information overload,” Computer, Vol.43, Issue 6, pp. 96-95, 2010.
-  X. Y. Ren, M. N. Song, and J. D. Song, “Point-of-Interest Recommendation Based on the User Check-in Behavior,” Chinese J. of Computers, Vol.40, pp. 28-50, 2017.
-  H. Gao, J. Tang, X. Hu, et al., “Content-aware point of interest recommendation on location-based social networks,” 29th AAAI Conf. on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 1721-1727, 2015.
-  Y. Koren, “Collaborative filtering with temporal dynamics,” ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 89-97, 2009.
-  Q. Liu, S. Wu, L. Wang, and T. Tan, “Predicting the next location: A recurrent model with spatial and temporal contexts,” 30th AAAI Conf. on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 194-200, 2016.
-  B. Y. Zou, C. P. Li, L. W. Tan, H. Chen, et al., “Social recommendations based on user trust and tensor factori-zation,” J. of Software, Vol.25, pp. 2852-2864, 2014.
-  R. Li, H. Lin, and J. Yan, “Mining latent semantic on user-tag-item for personalized music recommendation,” J. of Computer Research & Development, Vol.51, No.8, pp. 2270-2276, 2014.
-  Z.-S. Wang, J.-F. Juang, and W.-G. Teng, “Predicting POI Visits in a Heterogeneous Location-Based Social Network,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.20, No.6, pp. 882-892, 2016.
-  X. Zhou, Y. Xu, Y. Li, et al., “The state-of-the-art in personalized recommender systems for social networking,” Artificial Intelligence Review, Vol.37, No.2, pp. 119-132, 2012.
-  L. Xiang and Q. Yang, “Time-Dependent Models in Collaborative Filtering Based Recommender System,” Proc. of the 2009 Int. Joint Conf. on Web Intelligence and Intelligent Agent Technology, pp. 450-457, 2009.
-  J. Fan, P. Wang, and W. Zhou, “Method by using time factors in recommender system,” J. of Computer Applications, Vol.35, pp. 1324-1327, 2015.
-  Y. Koren, “Factorization meets the neighborhood: a multifaceted collaborative filtering model,” KDD ’08 Proc. of the 14th ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 426-434, 2008.
-  X. Li, G. Cong, X. L. Li, et al., “Rank-GeoFM: A Ranking based Geographical Factorization Method for Point of Interest Recommendation,” Int. ACM SIGIR Conf. on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, pp. 433-442, 2015.
-  X. Liu, Y. Liu, and X. Li, “Exploring the context of locations for personalized location recommendations,” Int. Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 1188-1194, 2016.
-  G. Tian, J. Wang, K. He, et al., “Time-Aware Web Service Recommendations Using Implicit Feedback,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Web Services, pp. 273-280, 2014.
-  M. Xie, H. Yin, H. Wang, et. al., “Learning graph-based poi embedding for location-based recommendation,” CIKM ’16 Proc. of the 25th ACM Int. on Conf. on Information and Knowledge Management, pp. 15-24.
-  D. Lian, C. Zhao, X. Xie, G. Sun, E. Chen, and Y. Rui, “GeoMF: Joint geographical modeling and matrixfactorization for point-of-interest recommendation,” KDD ’14 Proc. of the 20th ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 831-840, 2014.
-  J. Bao, Y. Zheng, and M. F. Mokbel, “Location-based and preference-aware recommendation using sparse geo-social networking data,” Int. Conf. on Advances in Geographic Information Systems, pp. 199-208, 2012.
-  J. J. Levandoski, M. Sarwat, A. Eldawy, et al., “LARS: A Location-Aware Recommender System,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Data Engineering, pp. 450-461, 2012.
-  H. Gao, J. Tang, X. Hu, et al., “Exploring temporal effects for location recommendation on location-based social networks,” RecSys ’13 Proc. of the 7th ACM Conf. on Recommender Systems, pp. 93-100, 2013.
-  S. Chakrabarti, B. Dom, P. Raghavan, et al., “Automatic resource compilation by analyzing hyperlink structure and associated text,” Computer Networks and ISDN Systems, Vol.30, No.17, pp. 65-74, 1998.
-  Y. Zheng, L. Zhang, X. Xie, et al., “Mining interesting locations and travel sequences from GPS trajectories,” WWW ’09 Proc. of the 18th Int. Conf. on World Wide Web, pp. 791-800, 2009.
-  H. Yin, B. Cui, L. Chen, et al., “Modeling Location-Based User Rating Profiles for Personalized Recommendation,” Acm Trans. on Knowledge Discovery from Data, Vol.9, No.2, pp. 1-41, 2015.
-  S. Zhao, T. Zhao, H. Yang, et. al., “Stellar: spatial-temporal latent ranking for successive point-of-interest recommendation,” Proc. of the 30th AAAI Conf. on Artificial Intelligence, pp. 315-321, 2016.
-  Q. Yuan, G. Cong, Z. Ma, et al., “Time-aware point-of-interest recommendation,” Int. ACM SIGIR Conf. on Research and Development in Information Retrieval, pp. 363-372, 2013.
-  H. Yin, Y. Sun, B. Cui, et al., “LCARS: a location-content-aware recommender system,” ACM SIGKDD Int. Conf. on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, pp. 221-229, 2013.
-  D. M. Blei, A. Y. Ng, and M. I. Jordan, “Latent dirichlet allocation,” J. of Machine Learning Research, Vol.3, pp. 993-1022, 2003.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.