Agent-Based Simulation of Financial Institution Investment Strategy Under Easing Monetary Policy for Operative Collapses
Takamasa Kikuchi*, Masaaki Kunigami**, Takashi Yamada***, Hiroshi Takahashi*, and Takao Terano**
*Graduate School of Business Administration, Keio University
4-1-1 Hiyoshi, Kohoku-ku, Yokohama, Kanagawa 223-8526, Japan
**Tokyo Institute of Technology
2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8550, Japan
1677-1 Yoshida, Yamaguchi City, Yamaguchi 753-8511, Japan
Europe and Japan have both adopted negative interest rate policies as part of their monetary easing measures. However, despite the benefits that are claimed to be associated with increased lending demand, significant concerns exist regarding an increased burden on private financial institutions as a result of the application to their excess reserves. In this paper, we focus on the risks associated with increased investment of surplus funds for the operation of financial institutions. We propose an agent-based model for interlocking specific bankruptcy based on changes in financial situations as a result of market price fluctuations involving assets held by financial institutions. To extend the proposed model to handle macro market shocks, we describe decision making regarding funds that are surplus to the operation of financial institutions. Additionally, we analyze the impact of price declines involving marketable assets on financial systems.
-  Mizuho Research Institute, “Evaluation of the Bank of Japan Negative Interest Rate Policy – Suggestion from the European and Financial Institutions, Impact on the Real Economy,” 2016 (in Japanese).
-  M. K. Brunnermeier and L. H. Pedersen, “Market Liquidity and Funding Liquidity,” Review of Financial Studies, Vol.22, No.6, pp. 2201-2238, 2009.
-  H. S. Shin, “Risk and Liquidity,” 1st edition, Oxford University Press, 2010.
-  F. Allen and D. Gale, “Financial Contagion,” J. of Political Economy, Vol.108, Issue 1, pp. 1-33, 2000.
-  X. Freixas, B. M. Parigi, and J.-C. Rochet, “Systemic Risk, Interbank Relations, and Liquidity Provision by the Central Bank,” J. of Money, Credit, and Banking, Vol.32, No.3, pp. 611-638, 2000.
-  H. Degryse and G. Nguyen, “Interbank Exposure: An Empirical Examination of Contageio Risk in the Belgian Banking System,” Int. J. of Central Banking, Vol.3, No.2, pp. 123-171, 2007.
-  L. Eisenberg and H. Noe, “Systemic Risk in Financial Systems,” Management Science, Vol.47, No.2, pp. 236-249, 2001.
-  P. Gai and S. Kapadia, “Contagion in Financial Networks,” Bank of England, Working Paper, No.383, 2010.
-  E. Nier, J. Yang, T. Yorulmazer, and A. Alentorn, “Network models and financial stability,” J. of Economic Dynamics and Control, Vol.31, No.6, pp. 2033-2060, 2007.
-  R. May and N. Arinaminpathy, “Systemic risk : the dynamics of model banking system,” J. R. Soc. Interface, Vol.7, No.46, pp. 823-838, 2010.
-  Y. Maeno, S. Morinaga, H. Matsushima, and K. Amagai, “Risk of the collapse of a bank credit network,” Trans. of the Japanese Society for Artificial Intelligence, Vol.27, No.6, pp. 338-346, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  C. P. Georg, “The Effect of Interbank Network Structure on Contagion and Common Shocks,” J. of Banking and Finance, Vol.37, No.7, pp. 2216-2228, 2013.
-  Y. Suzuki, A. Namatame, and Y. Aruka, “Agent-based Modeling of Economic Volatility and Risk Propagetion on Evolving Networks,” Proc. of the 18th Asia Pacific Symp. on Intelligent and Evolutionary Systems, Vol.1, pp. 463-478, 2015.
-  M. Hashimoto and S. Kurahashi, “The analysis of Systemic Risk Index effects under Inter-bank transactional network,” JAWS 2015, 2015 (in Japanese).
-  R. C. Merton, “On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,” The J. of Finance, Vol.29, No.2, pp. 449-470, 1974.
-  Basel Committee on Banking Supervision “Amendment to the capital accord to incorporate market risks,” 1996.
-  H. Kuroda and I. Kato, “Tokyo Money Market,” Totan Research, 7th edition, Yuhikaku, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  E. Fukuda et al., “Money Market Operations in FY2002,” Market Review E-series, 2003-E-2 Bank of Japan, 2003.
-  http://www.fsa.go.jp/policy/basel_ii/basel3.pdf [accessed July 15, 2017]
-  T. Kikuchi, H. Takahashi, and T. Terano, “The Propagation of Bankruptcies of Financial Institutions – an Agent Model of Financing Behavior and Asset Price Fluctuations,” AESCS2015 Proc., 2015.
-  T. Kikuchi, M. Kunigami, T. Yamada, H. Takahashi, and T. Terano, “Considering Negative Interest Rate Simulation of the Stability of the Interbank Network,” Social Simulation Conf., 2016.
-  T. Kikuchi, M. Kunigami, T. Yamada, H. Takahashi, and T. Terano, “Analysis of the Influences of Central Bank Financing on Operative Collapses of Financial Institutions using Agent-based Simulation,” IEEE the 40th Annual Int. Computers, Software & Applications Conf., the 3rd Int. Workshop on Social Services through Human and Artificial Agent Models, 2016.
-  D. G. Luenberger, “Investment Science,” Oxford University Press, 1997.