Utilization and Balance in Channel Assignment for Rural Wireless Mesh Networks
Chang Fang*, Zhifang Feng**, and Chao Zuo***,
*School of Economics and Management, Anhui Normal University
189 Jiuhua South Road, Wuhu City, Anhui 241002, China
**School of Management, Hefei University of Technology
No.193 Tunxi Street, Hefei 230009, China
***School of Management and E-Business, Zhejiang Gongshang University
No.18 Xuezheng Street, Hangzhou 310018, China
Wireless mesh networks with directional antennas are expected to be a new promising technology and an economic approach for providing wireless broadband services in rural areas. In these networks, the effective use of multiple non-overlapping channels can significantly enhance the network capacity by allowing more concurrent transmissions. However, the performances of wireless mesh networks are severely degraded by interference between links with overlapping channels in nearby areas. In this paper, we address the issue of joint utilization and balance in channel assignment for rural wireless mesh networks. We design a new channel assignment framework with the goal of optimizing the channel resource utilization across the entire network while taking balanced allocation into account. This balanced channel assignment allows for the cost-effective reuse of channels without a consequent loss of quality in the rural wireless mesh networks. We also evaluate the proposed framework on some Cartesian product graphs that are popular interconnection network topologies. The framework guarantees that these topologies require a small number of channels for balanced allocation.
-  B. Bellalta, L. Bononi, R. Bruno, and A. Kassler, “Next generation IEEE 802.11 Wireless Local Area Networks: Current status, future directions and open challenges,” Computer Communications, Vol.75, No.1, pp. 1-25, 2016.
-  O. Tipmongkolsilp, S. Zaghloul, and A. Jukan, “The evolution of cellular backhaul technologies: Current issues and future trends,” IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol.13, No.1, pp. 97-113, 2011.
-  V. Gabale, R. Mehta, J. Patani, K. Ramakrishnan, and B. Raman, “Deployments made easy: essentials of managing a (rural) wireless mesh network,” Proc. of the 3rd ACM Symp. on Computing for Development, pp. 1-10, 2013.
-  K. C. Karthika, “Wireless mesh network: A survey,” 2016 Int. Conf. on Wireless Communications, Signal Processing and Networking (WiSPNET), pp. 1966-1970, 2016.
-  S. Aust, R. V. Prasad, and I. G. M. M. Niemegeers, “Outdoor long-range WLANs: a lesson for IEEE 802.11ah,” IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol.17, No.3, pp. 1761-1775, 2015.
-  N. Sadeghianpour, T. C. Chuah, and S. W. Tan, “Joint channel assignment and routing in multiradio multichannel wireless mesh networks with directional antennas,” Int. J. of Communication Systems, Vol.28, No.9, pp. 1521-1536, 2015.
-  K.-W. Chin, S. Soh, and C. Meng, “Novel scheduling algorithms for concurrent transmit/receive wireless mesh networks,” Computer Networks, Vol.56, No.4, pp. 1200-1214, 2012.
-  B. Raman and K. Chebrolu, “Experiences in using WiFi for rural internet in India,” IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol.45, No.1, pp. 104-110, 2007.
-  B. Raman, “Channel allocation in 802.11-based mesh networks,” Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 2006, The 25th IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Communications, pp. 1-10, 2006.
-  P. Dutta, S. Jaiswal, and R. Rastogi, “Routing and channel allocation in rural wireless mesh networks,” IEEE INFOCOM 2007 - The 26th IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Communications, pp. 598-606, 2007.
-  O. Mirabella, L. Bello, and A. Raucea, “Improving routing in long-distance wireless mesh networks via a distributed embedded router,” J. of Parallel and Distributed Computing, Vol.68, No.3, pp. 361-371,2008.
-  P. Dutta, S. Jaiswal, D. Panigrahi, and R. Rastogi, “A new channel assignment mechanism for rural wireless mesh networks,” IEEE INFOCOM 2008 - The 27th IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Communications, pp. 2261-2269, 2008.
-  M. K. Marina, S. R. Das, and A. P. Subramanian, “A topology control approach for utilizing multiple channels in multi-radio wireless mesh networks,” Computer Networks, Vol.54, No.2, pp. 241-256, 2010.
-  Y. Peng, Y. Yu, L. Guo, D. Jiang, and Q. Gai, “An efficient joint channel assignment and QoS routing protocol for IEEE 802.11 multi-radio multi-channel wireless mesh networks,” J. of Network and Computer Applications, Vol.36, No.2, pp. 843-857, 2013.
-  S. Bu, F. R. Yu, and H. Yanikomeroglu, “Interference-aware energy-efficient resource allocation for OFDMA-based heterogeneous networks with incomplete channel state information,” IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, Vol.64, No.3, pp. 1036-1050, 2015.
-  J. Chen, Q. Yu, B. Chai, Y. Sun, Y, Fan, and X. Shen, “Dynamic channel assignment for wireless sensor networks: A regret matching based approach,” IEEE Trans. on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol.26, No.1, pp. 95-106, 2015.
-  J. Yang, Y. Wang, K. Hua, and W. Wang, “Fairness based dynamic channel allocation in wireless mesh networks,” 2014 Int. Conf. on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC), pp. 556-560, 2014.
-  D. Wu, S.-H. Yang, L. Bao, and C. H. Liu, “Joint multi-radio multi-channel assignment, scheduling, and routing in wireless mesh networks,” Wireless Networks, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 11-24, 2014.
-  S. Chieochan and E. Hossain, “Channel assignment for throughput optimization in multichannel multiradio wireless mesh networks using network coding,” IEEE Trans. on Mobile Computing, Vol.12, No.1, pp. 118-135, 2013.
-  M. G. C. Resende and P. M. Pardalos, “Handbook of optimization in telecommunications,” Springer, 2008.
-  C. A. S. Oliveira and P. M. Pardalos, “Mathematical aspects of network routing optimization,” Springer, 2011.
-  A. B. M. A. A. Islam, M. J. Islam, N. Nurain, and V. Raghunathan, “Channel Assignment Techniques for Multi-Radio Wireless Mesh Networks: A Survey,” IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol.18, No.2, pp. 988-1017, 2016.
-  E. Ahmed, A. Gani, S. Abolfazli, L. J. Yao, and S. U. Khan, “Channel assignment algorithms in cognitive radio networks: Taxonomy, open issues, and challenges,” IEEE Communications Surveys & Tutorials, Vol.18, No.1, pp. 795-823, 2014.
-  J. Wang, W. Shi, and F. Jin, “On channel assignment for multicast in multi-radio multi-channel wireless mesh networks: A survey,” China Communications, Vol.12, No.1, pp. 122-135, 2015.
-  R. Riggio, T. Rasheed, S. Testi, F. Granelli, and I. Chlamtac, “Interference and traffic aware channel assignment in WiFi-based wireless mesh networks,” Ad Hoc Networks, Vol.9, No.5, pp. 864-875, 2011.
-  A. C. Burris and R. H. Schelp, “Vertex-distinguishing proper edge-colorings,” J. of Graph Theory, Vol.26, No.2, pp. 73-82, 1997.
-  Z. F. Zhang, L. Liu, and J. Wang, “Adjacent strong edge coloring of graphs,” Applied Mathematics Letters, Vol.15, No.5, pp. 623-626, 2002.
-  Z. F. Zhang, “On the equitable adjacent strong edge coloring of graphs,” Higher Education Press, 2002.
-  Z. F. Zhang, M.-c. Li, B. Yao, and J. Li, “On the vertex distinguishing equitable edge-coloring of graphs,” Ars Combinatoria, Vol.86, No.2, pp. 193-200, 2008.
-  M. V. S. Shashanka, A. Pati, and A. M. Shende, “A characterisation of optimal channel assignments for wireless networks modelled as cellular and square grids,” Proc. Int. Parallel and Distributed Processing Symp., pp. 8-16, 2003.
-  N. Deo, “Graph theory with applications to engineering and computer science,” Dover Publications, 2017.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.