An Underactuated Prosthetic Hand with Coupled Metacarpophalangeal Joints
Ang Ke*, Jian Huang*, and Jiping He*,**
*Neural Interfaces and Rehabilitation Technology Research Center, Huazhong University of Science and Technology
No. 1037 Hongshan District, Wuhan, Hubei 430074, China
**Beijing Advanced Innovation Center for Intelligent Robots and Systems, Beijing Institute of Technology
5 South Zhongguancun Street, Haidian District, Beijing 100081, China
The design of a comfortable and functional prosthetic hand is still a challenge. This paper presents the design of a tendon-driven, 3D-printed, underactuated prosthetic hand. An improved structural design was developed to make the hand more flexible. Three fingers are equipped with abduction freedom at the metacarpophalangeal joints (MCP) to ensure natural enveloping for both cylinder and sphere-like objects. A force-sensing resistor (FSR) is adopted to measure the fingertip force of each finger. Experiments show that this type of structure design provides the hand with excellent dexterity, as the added abduction ensures natural enveloping grasp gestures for both cylinder and sphere-like objects. Moreover, a myoelectric control paradigm is implemented in the control system to demonstrate the feasibility.
-  C. Cipriani, M. Controzzi, and M. C. Carrozza, “Progress towards the development of the SmartHand transradial prosthesis,” ICORR 2009: IEEE 11th Int. Conf. on Rehabilitation Robotics, pp. 682-687, 2009.
-  T. Zhang, S. Fan, J. Zhao, L. Jiang, and H. Liu, “Design and control of a multisensory five-finger prosthetic hand,” Proc. of the 11th World Congress on Intelligent Control and Automation, pp. 3327-3332, 2014.
-  N. Dechev, W. L. Cleghorn, and S. Naumann, “Multiple finger, passive adaptive grasp prosthetic hand,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol.36, pp. 1157-1173, 2001.
-  C. M. Light and P. H. Chappell, “Development of a lightweight and adaptable multiple-axis hand prosthesis,” Medical Engineering and Physics, Vol.22, pp. 679-684, 2000.
-  B. Massa, S. Roccella, M. C. Carrozza, and P. Dario, “Design and development of an underactuated prosthetic hand,” Proc., 2002 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.4, pp. 3374-3379, 2002.
-  J. L. Pons et al., “The MANUS-HAND Dextrous Robotics Upper Limb Prosthesis: Mechanical and Manipulation Aspects,” Autonomous Robots, Vol.16, pp. 143-163, 2004.
-  O. F. Karlsruhe, “A New Ultralight Anthropomorphic Hand,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 2437-2441, 2001.
-  http://www.ottobock.com/en/ [accessed July 12, 2017]
-  http://www.touchbionics.com/ [accessed July 12, 2017]
-  C. Medynski and B. Rattray, “Bebionic Prosthetic Design,” MEC 2011 Symp. MyoElectric Controls/Powered Prosthetics Symp., pp. 1-4, 2011.
-  W. Zhang et al., “Passive adaptive grasp multi-fingered humanoid robot hand with high under-actuated function,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Vol.3, pp. 2216-2221, 2004.
-  M. C. Carrozza, G. Cappiello, S. Micera, B. B. Edin, L. Beccai, and C. Cipriani, “Design of a cybernetic hand for perception and action,” Biological Cybernetics, Vol.95, pp. 629-644, 2006.
-  H. Huang, L. Jiang, Y. Liu, L. Hou, H. Cai, and H. Liu, “The mechanical design and experiments of HIT/DLR prosthetic hand,” 2006 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics, pp. 896-901, 2006.
-  T. Mouri, H. Kawasaki, K. Yoshikawa, J. Takai, and S. Ito, “Anthropomorphic robot hand: Gifu hand III,” Proc. Int. Conf. ICCAS, pp. 1288-1293, 2002.
-  C. Cipriani, M. Controzzi, and M. C. Carrozza, “The SmartHand transradial prosthesis,” J. of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, Vol.8, No.29, 2011.
-  S. Schulz, C. Pylatiuk, M. Reischl, J. Martin, R. Mikut, and G. Bretthauer, “A hydraulically driven multifunctional prosthetic hand,” Robotica, Vol.23, pp. 293-299, 2005.
-  G. Gilardi, E. Haslam, V. Bundhoo, and E. J. Park, “A shape memory alloy based tendon-driven actuation system for biomimetic artificial fingers, part ii: Modelling and control,” Robotica, Vol.28, No.5, pp. 675-687, 2010.
-  V. Bundhoo and E. J. Park, “Design of an artificial muscle actuated finger towards biomimetic prosthetic hands,” ICAR ’05, Proc., 12th Int. Conf. on Advanced Robotics, pp. 368-375, 2005.
-  L. Zollo, S. Roccella, E. Guglielmelli, M. C. Carrozza, and P. Dario, “Biomechatronic design and control of an anthropomorphic artificial hand for prosthetic and robotic applications,” IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, Vol.12, pp. 418-429, 2007.
-  A. S. Sadun, J. Jalani, and J. A. Sukor, “Force Sensing Resistor (FSR): a brief overview and the low-cost sensor for active compliance control,” Proc., the 1st Int. Workshop on Pattern Recognition, 2016.
-  A. Tura, C. Lamberti, A. Davalli, and R. Sacchetti, “Experimental development of a sensory control system for an upper limb myoelectric prosthesis with cosmetic covering,” J. of Rehabilitation Research and Development, Vol.35, No.1, pp. 14-26, 1998.
-  D. J. van den Heever, K. Schreve, and C. Scheffer, “Tactile sensing using force sensing resistors and a super-resolution algorithm,” IEEE Sensors J., Vol.9, No.1, pp. 29-35, 2009.
-  R. S. Hall, G. T. Desmoulin, and T. E. Milner, “A technique for conditioning and calibrating force-sensing resistors for repeatable and reliable measurement of compressive force,” J. of Biomechanics, Vol.41, No.16, pp. 3492-3495, 2008.
-  H. Liu et al., “The modular multisensory DLR-HIT-Hand,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol.42, pp. 612-625, 2007.
-  A. Kapandji, “Cotation clinique de l’opposition et de la contre-opposition du pouce,” Annales de Chirurgie de la Main, Vol.5, No.1, pp. 67-73, 1986.
-  R. Deimel and O. Brock, “A novel type of compliant and underactuated robotic hand for dexterous grasping,” The Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.35, Issue 1-3, pp. 161-185, 2016.
-  T. Pistohl, C. Cipriani, A. Jackson, and K. Nazarpour, “Abstract and proportional myoelectric control for multi-fingered hand prostheses,” Annals of Biomedical Engineering, Vol.41, pp. 2687-2698, 2013.
-  A. J. Young, L. H. Smith, E. J. Rouse, and L. J. Hargrove, “A comparison of the real-time controllability of pattern recognition to conventional myoelectric control for discrete and simultaneous movements,” J. of NeuroEngineering and Rehabilitation, Vol.11, Vol.5, 2014.
-  Y. Losier et al., “An Overview of the UNB Hand System,” MEC Symp. Conf. Proc., pp. 2-5, 2011.