Safe Farming: Development of a Prevention System to Mitigate Vertebrates Crop Raiding
American University in the Emirates
Dubai International Academic City, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
One of the main problems for farmers is the protection of their crops, before and after harvesting, from animals and birds. To overcome this problem, this paper proposes a model of safe farming in which the crops will be protected from vertebrates’ attack through a prevention system that is based on Wirelesses Sensors Networks. Different sensor nodes are placed around the field that detect animals or birds’ existence and generate required signals and information. This information is passed to the Repelling and Notifying System (RNS) that is installed at the field through a short range wireless technology, ZigBee. As RNS receives the information, it generates ultrasonic sounds that are unbearable for animals and birds, which causes them to run away from the field. These ultrasonic sounds are generated in a frequency range that only animals and birds can hear, while humans cannot notice the sound. The paper also proposes a notifying system. It will inform the farmer about animals or birds’ intrusion in the field through SMS, but doesn’t need any action from the farmer. The low cost and power efficiency of the proposed system is a key advantage for developing countries where cost and power are major players in any system feasibility.
-  S. Wang, P. Curtis, and J. Lassoie, “Farmer Perceptions of Crop Damage by Wildlife in Jigme Singye Wangchuck National Park, Bhutan,” Wildlife Society Bulletin, Vol.34, No.2, pp. 359-365, 2006.
-  S. Hafeez et al., “Use of Reflector Ribbon as a Pest Birds Repellent in Wheat and Maize Crop,” J. of Agriculture and Social Sciences, 2008.
-  S. Hafeez and S. Shahid, “Comparative efficacy of some trap for controlling Porcupines, wild boars and other vertebrate pests,” Pakistan J. of Agricultural Sciences, Vol.44, No.1, 2007.
-  X. Li, Y. Deng, and L. Ding, “Study on precision agriculture monitoring framework based on WSN,” 2nd Int. Conf. on Anti-Counterfeiting, Security and Identification, pp. 182-185, 2008.
-  S. Li, J. Cui, and Z. Li, “Wireless sensor network for precise agriculture monitoring,” Int. Conf. on Intelligent Computation Technology And Automation (ICICTA), pp. 307-310, 2011.
-  Y. Jiber, H. Harroud, and A. Karmouch, “Precision agriculture monitoring framework based on WSN,” 7th Int. Conf. on Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing Conf. (IWCMC), pp. 2015-2020, 2011.
-  A. Stickley and J. Guarino, “A Repellent for Protecting Corn Seed from Blackbirds and Crows,” The J. of Wildlife Management, Vol.36, No.1, pp. 150-152, 1972.
-  J. Pinel, “High-intensity, ultrasonic sound: a better rat trap,” Psychological Reports, Vol.31, No.2, pp. 427-432, 1972.
-  C. Woo, “Design and Implementation of Farm Pest Animals Repelling System Based on Open Source,” J. of Korea Multimedia Society, Vol.19, No.2, pp. 451-459, 2016.
-  S. Sendra et al., “Smart Wireless Sensor Network to Detect and Protect Sheep and Goats to Wolf Attacks,” Recent Advances in Communications and Networking Technology, Vol.2, No.2, pp. 91-101, 2014.
-  A. Deshpande, “Design and Implementation of an Intelligent Security System for Farm Protection from Wild Animals,” Int. J. of Science and Research (IJSR), Vol.5, No.2, pp. 956-959, 2016.
-  L. Yihan and S. Panwar, “A wireless biosensor network using autonomously controlled animals,” IEEE Network, Vol.20, No.3, pp. 6-11, 2006.
-  C. Wang et al., “Voice communications over zigbee networks,” IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol.46, No.1, pp. 121-127, 2008.
-  E. Nadimi et al., “ZigBee-based wireless sensor networks for monitoring animal presence and pasture time in a strip of new grass,” Computers and Electronics in Agriculture, Vol.61, No.2, pp. 79-87, 2008.
-  S. S. Ghumare, R. P. Labade, and S. R. Gagare, “Rare Wild Animal Tracking in the Forest area with Wireless Sensor Network in Network Simulator-2,” Int. J. of Computer Applications, Vol.133, No.4, pp. 1-4, 2016.
-  J. Lee, et al., “A Comparative Study of Wireless Protocols: Bluetooth, UWB, ZigBee, and Wi-Fi,” IECON 2007 - 33rd Annual Conf. of the IEEE Industrial Electronics Society, 2007.
-  R. Iqbal, K. Yukimatsu, and T. Ichikawa, “The Flexible Bus Systems Using Zigbee as a Communication Medium,” Int. J. of Online Engineering (iJOE), Vol.7, No.3, 2011.
-  R. Handcock et al., “Monitoring Animal Behaviour and Environmental Interactions Using Wireless Sensor Networks, GPS Collars and Satellite Remote Sensing,” Sensors, Vol.9, No.5, pp. 3586-3603, 2009.
-  A. Fernandes et al., “Ad hoc communication in teams of mobile robots using zigbee technology,” Computer Applications in Engineering Education, Vol.23, No.5, pp. 733-745, 2015.
-  X. Xu, “Research on the Communication Nodes Design of Wireless Sensor Network Data Based on ZIGBEE,” Advanced Materials Research, Vol.998-999, pp. 1315-1318, 2014.
-  U. Hayat, R. Iqbal, and J. Diab, “Eliminating Broadcast Storming in Vehicular Ad-Hoc Networks,” Int. J. of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, Vol.7, No.1, 2016.