Design and Experimental Verification of a Wheeled Mobile System with a Spring-Based Regenerative Brake
Takahiro Sakuraba, Naoki Uchiyama, Shigenori Sano, and Tatsuhiko Sakaguchi
Toyohashi University of Technology
1-1 Hibarigaoka, Tenpaku-cho, Toyohashi, Aichi 441-8580, Japan
In human-operated mechanical systems such as automobiles, electric bicycles, and electric wheelchairs, energy saving is an important criterion. Hybrid systems consisting of combustion engines and electric motors have found successful applications in automobiles. However, it is difficult to apply this type of hybrid system to personal mobilities and industrial machines in a factory, as there is a requirement to reduce their energy consumption owing to recent environmental and energy resource problems. Therefore, a previous study has focused on the use of a mechanical spring as a regenerative brake in a hybrid bicycle. This study, however, presents a new type of hybrid system that includes the use of a mechanical spring. An experimental wheeled mobile system is designed, and its effectiveness is confirmed through comparative experiments in which a reduction of more than 30% in the consumed energy is achieved in acceleration periods as compared to a conventional system.
-  Agency for Natural Resources and Energy, “Annual report on energy in year 2014,” Trend on primary energy, Vol.2, Chapter 2, Section 2, http://www.enecho.meti.go.jp/about/whitepaper/2015html/2-2-2.html [accessed Jun. 20, 2017]
-  M. Nakaiwa, “Energy Saving Techniques and Industry-Academia-Government Collaboration,” Proc. of the Japan Institute of Energy, Vol.21, pp. xxii-xxiii, 2012-07-30, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Nishioka, S. Suzuki, J. Tanaka, and K. Korematsu, “Hybrid Gas Station System for the Spread of Electric Vehicles,” Proc. of the Thermal Engineering Conf., Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, No.02-22, pp. 463-464, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  Y. Taga, “Control Systems for Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” J. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.104, No.988, pp. 158-161, 2001 (in Japanese).
-  H. Ohtaki, S. Kotosaka, Y. Yasuda and Y. Nagasaka, “The Running Energy Resurrection of Bicycle with Spring,” Proc. of the Kanto Branch Conf., Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, pp. 169-170, 2005 (in Japanese).
-  H. Seki and S. Akasaka, “Stop Control for High Efficiency EDLC Energy Regeneration of Powered Wheelchair,” Proc. of the 2013 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, No.13-2, pp. 2A1-R02(1)-2A1-R02(4), Tsukuba, Japan, May 22-25, 2013.
-  S. Kim and Y. Okada, “Variable Resistance Type Energy Regenerative Suspension,” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers (C), Vol.68, No.675, pp. 3224-3229, 2002-11-25, 2002 (in Japanese).
-  H. Kobayashi and T. Inoue, “Development of Dynamic Load Adjusting Mechanism for Multifunctional DVR by using the Resurrection Brake,” JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, No.08-4, pp. 1P1-D03(1)-1P1-D03(3), Nagano, Japan, Jun. 5-7, 2008 (in Japanese).
-  N. Kobayashi, T. Tanaka, and S. Kaneko, “The control method for power assist devices that have energy regeneration system based on predicting operation and its reliability,” Proc. of the 2010 JSME Conf. on Robotics and Mechatronics, No.10-4, pp. 1A1-G28(1)-1A1-G28(4), Asahikawa, Japan, Jun. 13-16, 2010 (in Japanese).
-  S. Suzuki, “A basic study on an active knee brace / orthotic knee joint utilizing regenerative walking energy,” Proc. of the 21th Bioengineering Conf., 2008 Annual Meeting of BED/JSME, pp. 415-416, 2009-01-22, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  M. Shintaku, K. Adachi, and H. Kanki, “Efficiency Evaluation of Flywheel Energy Recovery System for Automobile,” The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2012(87), 9-2, 2012-03-16, 2012 (in Japanese).
-  H. Ogino, S. Kobayashi, and S. Hasegawa, “Research on Skid Control of Small Electric Vehicle (Effect of Regenerative Braking System in Skidding Condition),” Trans. of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers Series C, Vol.77, No.784, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  K. Hirukawa, “Cooperative Control between Regenerative Brake and Electrically Actuated Braking system for EVs,” Chuo University, Annual Research Report in Graduate School, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Vol. 33, 2006A (in Japanese).
-  V. K. Narayanan, F. Pasteau, M. Marchal, A. Krupa, and M. Babel, “Vision-based adaptive assistance and haptic guidance for safe wheelchair corridor following,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Vol.149, pp. 171-185, Aug. 2016.
-  L. R. Borges, F. R. Martins, E. L. M. Naves, T. F. Bastos, and V. F. Lucena, “Multimodal System for Training at Distance in a Virtual or Augmented Reality Environment for Users of Electric-Powered Wheelchairs,” IFAC-Papers On Line, Vol.49, Issue 30, pp. 156-160, Nov. 2016.
-  G. Quaglia and M. Nisi, “Design of a self-leveling cam mechanism for a stair climbing wheelchair,” Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol.112, pp. 84-104, Jun. 2017.
-  H. Wang, B. Salatin, G. G. Grindle, D. Ding, and R. A. Cooper, “Real-time model based electrical powered wheelchair control,” Medical Engineering and Physics, Vol.31, Issue 10, pp. 1244-1254, Dec. 2009.
-  H. Seki and Y. Takahashi, “Fuzzy Inference Based Regenerative Braking Control of Handle Type Electric Wheelchair for Senior Citizen,” The Society of Life Support Engineering, Vol.23, No.1, pp. 5-11, 2011 (in Japanese).
-  F.-C. Wang and Y.-S. Chiang, “Design and control of a PEMFC powered electric wheelchair,” Int. J. of Hydrogen Energy, Vol.37, Issue 15, pp. 11299-11307, Aug. 2012.
-  Y.-P. Yang, R.-M. Guan, and Y.-M. Huang, “Hybrid fuel cell powertrain for a powered wheelchair driven by rim motors,” J. of Power Sources, Vol.212, pp. 192-204, Aug. 2012.
-  H. Taguchi, “Energy saving in an underground railway,” IEEJ J., Vol.123, No.7, pp. 414-417, 2003 (in Japanese).
-  H. Hata, “Energy Saving Technology for Railway Rolling Stock,” The J. of the Institute of Electronics Information and Communication Engineers, Vol.90, No.11, pp. 982-986, 2007 (in Japanese).
-  T. Sugimoto, “A Study on Estimation of Effective Coefficient of Regenerative Energy in Electric Railway,” IEEJ Trans. on Industry Applications, Vol.118, No.3, pp. 393-401, 1998 (in Japanese).
-  D. H. Myszka, A. Murray, K. Giaier, and V. K. Jayaprakash, “A Mechanical Regenerative Brake and Launch Assist using an Open Differential and Elastic Energy Storage,” SAE Int. J. Alt. Power., Vol.4, No.1, pp. 199-208, Apr. 2015.
-  H. Hellendoorn, S. Mulder, and B. De Schutter, “Hybrid Control of Container Cranes,” Proc. of the 18th World Congress the Int. Federation of Automatic Control, Milano (Italy), Aug. 28–Sep. 2, 2011.
-  Z. Wu and X. Xia, “Energy Efficiency of Overhead Cranes,” Proc. of the 19th World Congress the Int. Federation of Automatic Control,” Cape Town, South Africa, Aug. 24-29, 2014.
-  M. M. Flynn, P. McMullen, and O. Solis, “Energy recovery and emission cutting in a mobile gantry crane,” IEEE Industry Applications Magazine, Nov.–Dec. 2008.
-  Electromagnetic Clutches and Brakes, Miki Pulley Co., Ltd., Technical manual of industrial products, http://www.mikipulley.co.jp/data/pdf/jp/cb_ea_ct.pdf [accessed March 24, 2016]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.