Design of a MIMO Levitation Controller for Maglev Transportation System
Tran Huu Luat and Yong-Tae Kim†
Department of Electrical, Electronic and Control Engineering, Hankyong National University
327 Joongang-ro, Anseong, Gyeonggi-do 17579, Korea
In this paper, the levitation control method of a MIMO Magnetic Levitation (Maglev) transportation system with 3-DOF is presented. Fluctuations of magnetic poles cause the Maglev system to become critically unstable. We propose a design method of the MIMO Maglev controller based on SISO Maglev control technology to correct the suspension and compensate for the effect of rotational motions. In addition, a force loop controller is designed for placement in front of each sub-controller of an electromagnet for stability improvement. The proposed control method is evaluated using simulations and real experiments using the developed Maglev transportation system.
-  J. M. Jo , Y. J. Han, and C. Y. Lee, “The Design of the Feedback Control System of Electromagnetic Suspension Using Kalman Filter,” IJR Int. J. of Railway, Vol.4, No.4, pp. 93-96, 2011.
-  E. Alvarez-Sanchez, Ja. Alvarez-Gallegos, and R. Castro-Linares, “Dynamiical Sliding Mode Control of a MagLev System with 3 DOFs: Experimental Results,” ICEEE Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. London, Vol.A247, pp. 529-551, 1955.
-  P. J. Vallance, “Digital Control of Levitation,” MA Thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2001.
-  D. G. Choi and Y. T. Kim, “A Study on the Design of Logistics Transportation System using Magnetic Levitation,” J. of Korean Institute of Intelligent Systems, Vol.24, No.2, pp. 129-135, 2014.
-  K. Yoshida, T. Omura, and J. Lee, “Dynamic Simulations of Controlled-PM LSM Maglev Carrier, Taking into Account Six Degrees of Freedom,” Advanced Computational and Designs Techniques in Applied Electromagnetic Systems, 1995.
-  R. H. Milani, H. Zaeabadipour, and R. Shahnazi, “An Adaptive Robust Controller for Time Delay Maglev Transportation Systems,” Communications in Nonlinear Science and Numerical Simulation, Vol.17, No.12, pp. 4792-4801, 2012.
-  T. H. Luat, J. H. Cho, and Y. T. Kim, “Fuzzy Tuning PID Controller for Nonlinear Electromagnetic Levitation System,” Soft Computing in Intelligent Control, Vol.272, pp. 17-28, 2014.
-  B. H. Lee and Y. T. Kim, “Design of PID Controller for Magnetic Levitation RGV Using Genetic Algorithm Based on Clonal selection,” The J. of Korean Institute of Intelligent Systems, Vol.22, No.2, pp. 239-245, 2012.
-  T. H. Luat and Y. T. Kim, “Design of a Levitation Controller for MIMO Maglev System,” The 16th Int. Symp. on Advanced Intelligent Systems, pp. 390-392, 2015.