A Hybrid Particle Swarm Optimization and Neural Network with Fuzzy Membership Function Technique for Epileptic Seizure Classification
Khaled A. Abuhasel*, Abdullah M. Iliyasu*,**, and Chastine Fatichah***
*College of Engineering, Salman Bin Abdulaziz University
Al-Kharj, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
**Department of Computational Intelligence & Systems Science, Tokyo Institute of Technology
G3-49, 4259 Nagatsuta, Midori-ku, Yokohama 226-8502, Japan
***Informatics Department, Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember
ITS Campus, Sukolilo, Surabaya 60111, Surabaya, East Java, Indonesia
-  N. Fisher, S. Talathi, A. Cadotte, and P. R. Carney, “Epilepsy detection and monitoring,” Quantitative EEG Analysis Methods and Clinical Applications, Artech House Publishers, pp. 157-183, 2008.
-  J. P. Betancourt, C. Fatichah, M. L. Tangel, F. Yan, A. Garcia, F. Dong, and K. Hirota, “Similarity-based fuzzy classification of ECG and capnogram signals,” J. of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.17, No.2, pp. 302-310, 2013.
-  R. HariKumar and T. Vijayakumar, “Performance analysis of patient specific elman-chaotic optimization model for fuzzy based epilepsy risk level classification from EEG signals,” Int. J. on Smart Sensing And Intelligent Systems, Vol.2, No.4, 2009.
-  U. Orhan, M. Hekim, M. Ozer, and I. Provaznik, “Epilepsy diagnosis using probability density functions of EEG signals,” Innovations in Intelligent Systems and Applications (INISTA), Istanbul, Turkey, pp. 626-630, 15-18 June, 2011.
-  L. Guo, D. Rivero, J. Dorado, J. R. Rabu nal, and A. Pazos, “Automatic epileptic seizure detection in EEGs based on line length feature and artificial neural networks,” J. of Neuroscience Methods, Vol.191, pp. 101-109, 2010.
-  H. Adeli, S. Ghosh-Dastidar, and N. Dadmehr, “A wavelet-chaos methodology for analysis of EEGs and EEG subbands to detect seizure and epilepsy,” IEEE Trans. On Biomedical Engineering, Vol.54, No.2, pp. 205-211, 2007.
-  V. A. Golovko, S. V. Bezobrazova, S. V. Bezobrazov, and U. S. Rubanau, “Application of neural networks to the electroencephalogram analysis for epilepsy detection,” Proc. of Int. Joint Conf.e on Neural Networks, Orlando, Florida, USA, August 12-17, 2007.
-  M. Han and L. Sun, “EEG signal classification for epilepsy diagnosis based on AR model and RVM,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Intelligent Control and Information Processing, Dalian, China, August 13-15, 2010.
-  S. Ghosh-Dastidar, H. Adeli, and N. Dadmehr, “Principal component analysis-enhanced cosine radial basis function neural network for robust epilepsy and seizure detection,” IEEE Trans. on Biomedical Engineering, Vol.55, No.2, pp. 512-518, 2008.
-  V. Srinivasan, C. Eswaran, and N. Sriraam, “Artificial neural network based epileptic detection using time-domain and frequency-domain features,” J. of Medical Systems, Vol.29, No.2, pp. 647-60, 2005.
-  H. Ocak, “Automatic detection of epileptic seizures in EEG using discrete wavelet transform and approximate entropy,” Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.36, No.2, pp. 2027-2036, 2009.
-  V. Nigam and D. Graupe, “A neural-network-based detection of epilepsy,” Neurological Research, Vol.26, No.1, pp. 55-60, 2004.
-  C. Fatichah, A. M. Iliyasu, K. A. Abuhasel, N. Suciati, and M. A. Al-Qodah, “Principal Component Analysis-based Neural Network with Fuzzy Membership Function For Epileptic Seizure Detection,” 2014 10th Int. Conf. on Natural Computation (ICNC), Xiamen, China, 19-21 August, pp. 186-191, 2014.
-  J. S. Lim, T. W. Ryu, H. J. Kim, and S. Gupta, “Feature Selection for Specific Antibody Deficiency Syndrome by Neural Network with Weighted Fuzzy Membership Functions,” LNAI 3614, Springer, pp. 811-820, 2005.
-  J. S. Lim, “Finding features for real-time premature ventricular contraction detection using a fuzzy neural network system,” IEEE Trans. on Neural Networks, Vol.20, No.3, pp. 522-527, 2009.
-  S. H Lee and J. S. Lim, “Forecasting KOSPI based on a neural network with weighted fuzzy membership functions,” Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.38, pp. 4259-4263, 2011.
-  M. Singh and S. Kaur, “Epilepsy detection using EEG an overview,” Int. J. of Information Technology and Knowledge Management December, Vol.6, No.1, pp. 3-5, 2012.
-  L. Shi, R. Duan, and B. Lu, “A robust principal component analysis algorithm for EEG-based vigilance estimation,” Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), 35th Annual Int. Conf. of the IEEE, Osaka, Japan, 3-7 July 2013, pp. 6623-6626, 2013.
-  N. Kwak, “Principal component analysis based on L1-norm maximization,” IEEE Tran. Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.30, No.9, pp. 1672-1680, 2008.
-  H. Lee and S. Choi, “PCA+HMM+SVM for EEG pattern classification,” Proc. 7th Int. Symp. Signal Process. and Its Applicat., Vol.1, pp. 541-544, 2003.
-  J. Kennedy and R. C. Eberhart, “Particle Swarm Optimization,” The IEEE Proc. of Int. Conf. on Neural Networks, pp. 1942-1948, 1995.
-  C. Grosan, A. Abraham, and M. Chis, “Swarm Intelligence in Data Mining,” Studies in Computational Intelligence (SCI), Vol.34, Springer-Verlag, pp. 1-20, 2006.
-  R. G. Andrzejak, K. Lehnertz, F. Mormann, C. Rieke, P. David, and C. E. Elger, “Indications of nonlinear deterministic and finite-dimensional structures in time series of brain electrical activity: dependence on recording region and brain state,” Physical Review,Vol.E64, No.2, 061907, pp. 1-8, 2001.
-  K. A. Abuhasel, A. M. Iliyasu, and C. Fatichah, “A Combined AdaBoost and NEWFM Technique for Medical Data Classification,” Springer Information Science and Applications, Vol.339, pp. 801-809, doi: 10.1007/978-3-662-46578-3_95, 2015.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.