Fuzzy Control for a Kite-Based Tethered Flying Robot
Yasutake Takahashi*, Tohru Ishii*, Chiaki Todoroki*, Yoichiro Maeda**, and Takayuki Nakamura***
*Department of Human and Artificial Intelligent Systems, Graduate School of Engineering, University of Fukui
3-9-1 Bunkyo, Fukui, Fukui 910-8507, Japan
**Department of Robotics, Faculty of Engineering, Osaka Institute of Technology
5-16-1 Omiya, Asahi-ku, Osaka 535-8585, Japan
***Faculty of Systems Engineering, Wakayama University
Sakaetani 930, Wakayama 640-8510, Japan
Observation providing information from above is important in in large-scale or dangerous rescue activity. This has been done from balloons or airplanes. Balloon observation requires a gas such as helium and takes a relatively long time to prepare, and while airplane observation can be prepared in a relatively short time and is highly mobile, flight time depends on the amount of fuel a plane can carry. We have proposed and developed a kite-based tethered flying robot that complements balloon and airplane observation while providing a short preparation time and long flight time . The objective of our research is autonomous flight information gathering consisting of a kite, a flight unit, a tether and a ground control unit with a line-winding machine. We propose fuzzy controllers for our robot that are inspired by kite flying.
-  T. Ishii, Y. Takahashi, Y. Maeda, and T. Nakamura, “Tethered flying robot for information gathering system,” in IROS’13 Workshop on Robots and Sensors integration in future rescue INformation system (ROSIN’13), 2013.
-  M. Nishida, T. Katayama, A. Ishii, J. Tsutsumi, and K. Tajima, “Observation of wind profiles in urban area by kytoon,” J. of Structural and Construction Engineering, No.365, pp. 10-18, 1986.
-  N. Hirasawa, “Summary of the atmospheric observation with meteorological sonde and of radiation and cloud at dome fuji station in antarctica and the preliminary results.,” TENKI, Vol.46, No.2, pp. 147-152, 1999.
-  T. Nakao, K. Fujiwara, M. Furukawa, and T. Hiroe, “Development of a compact captive balloon and its level supporting,” J. of the Japan Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol.53, No.612, pp. 9-14, 2005.
-  J. Henry M. Cathey and D. L. Pierce, “Development of the nasa ultra-long duration balloon,” in NASA Science Technology Conf., Paper C3P2, 2007.
-  H. Aichi, M. Kumada, T. Kobayashi, Y. Sugiyama, K. Horii, and S. Yokoi, “Application to power generation by wind and environmental watching and/or it system by floating platform tethered with cable, and preliminary study on climbing characteristics of a tethered aerodynamic platform with side-by-side twin rotors,” Bulletin of Daido Institute of Technology, Vol.38, pp. 213-223, 2002.
-  H. Aichi, M. Kumada, T. Kobayashi, Y. Sugiyama, K. Horii, and S. Yokoi, “Application of floating platform tethered with cable in high altitude to wind power generation, telecommnication/broadcasting, and environmental watching,” Denkiseiko, Vol.74, No.3, pp. 167-172, 2003.
-  S. Karim and C. Heinze, “Experiences with the design and implementation of an agent-based autonomous uav controller,” in Proc. of the 4th Int. Joint Conf. on Autonomous Agents and Multiagent Systems (AAMAS’05), New York, USA, pp. 19-26, ACM, 2005.
-  J. Fujinaga, H. Tokutake, and S. Sunada, “Guidance and control of a small unmanned aerial vehicle and autonomous flight experiments,” J. of the Japan Society for Aeronautical and Space Sciences, Vol.56, No.649, pp. 57-64, 2008.
-  T. Suzuki, J. Meguro, Y. Amano, T. Hashizume, D. Kubo, T. Tsuchiya, S. Suzuki, R. Hirose, K. Tatsumi, K. Sato, and J. Takiguchi, “Development of information collecting system using a small unmanned aerial vehicle for disaster prevention and mitigation,” J. of Robotics Society of Japan, Vol.26, No.6, pp. 553-560, 2008.
-  W. Engels, T. Obdam, and F. Savenije, “Current developments in wind,” Tech. Rep. ECN-E-09-96, Energy research center of the Netherlands, 2009.
-  M. Canale, L. Fagiano, and M. Milanese, “Power Kites for Wind Energy Generation – Fast Predictive Control of Tethered Airfoils,” IEEE Control Systems Magazine, pp. 25-38, 2007.
-  P. Yashwanth, P. V. Ganesh, E. Arunprakash, and S. Benisha, “Floating power station (mars the future wind-mill),” IOSR J. of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Vol.2, No.1, pp. 10-13, 2012.
-  B. Landorp and P. Williams, “The laddermill: Innovative wind energy from high altitudes in holland and australia,” Windpower 06, 2006.
-  B. Lansdorp, R. Ruiterkamp, and W. Ockels, “Towards flight testing of remotely controlled surfkites for wind energy generation,” AIAA Atmospheric Flight Mechanics Conference and Exhibit, Vol.6643, No.August, 2007.
-  B. Houska and M. Diehl, “Robustness and stability optimization of power generating kite systems in a periodic pumping mode,” 2010 IEEE Int. Conf. on Control Applications, pp. 2172-2177, 2010.
-  I. Argatov and R. Silvennoinen, “Energy conversion efficiency of the pumping kite wind generator,” Renewable Energy, Vol.35, No.5, pp. 1052-1060, 2010.
-  R. Smith, “Open dynamics engine,” 2008. http://www.ode.org/.
-  T. Okamoto, M. Fujisawa, and K. T. Miura, “Development of a user inteactive kite simulation system,” Graphics and CAD/Visual Computing Joint Symp. 2009, 2009 (in Japanese).
-  “NASA Kite Modeler 1.5a.”
http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/airplane/kiteprog.html, 2008. [Online; Accessed November 7, 2013]
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.