Evaluation of Hand-Eye Coordination Based on Brain Activity
Satoshi Miura*, Yo Kobayashi*, Kazuya Kawamura**,
Masatoshi Seki*, Yasutaka Nakashima*, Takehiko Noguchi*,
Yuki Yokoo*, and Masakatsu G. Fujie*
*Faculty of Science and Engineering, Waseda University, 59-309, 3-4-1 Okubo, Shinjuku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
**Graduate School and Faculty of Engineering, Chiba University, 1-33 Yayoi-cho, Inage Ward, Chiba-shi, Chiba 263-8522, Japan
-  J. Leven, D. Burschka, R. Knmar, M. Choti, C. Hasser, and R. H. Taylor, “Da Vinci Canvas: a telerobotic surgical system with integrated, robot-assisted, laparoscopic ultrasound capability,” Medical Image Computing and Computer-Assisted Intervention (MICCAI), Vol.3749, pp. 811-818, 2005.
-  T. Osa, C. Staub, and A. Knoll, “Framework of automatic robotic surgery system using visual servoing,” Proc. 2010 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, Taipei, Taiwan, 2010.
-  G. H. Ballantyne, “Robotic surgery, telerobotic surgery, telepresence, and telementoring - review of early clinical results,” Surg. Endosc., Vol.16, pp. 1389-1402, 2002.
-  I. Suh, M. Mukherjee, D. Oleynikov, and K.-C. Siu, “Training program for fundamental surgical skill in robotic laparoscopic surgery,” Int. J. Med. Robotics Computer Assist. Surg., Vol.7, pp. 327-333, 2011.
-  S.Miura, Y. Kobayashi, M. Seki, T. Noguchi, M. Kasuya, Y. Yokoo, and M. G. Fujie, “Intuitive Operability Evaluation of Robotic Surgery Using Brain Activity Measurement to Identify Hand-Eye Coordination,” Proc. of 2012 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation (ICRA’12), pp. 4546-4552, St. Paul, MN, USA, 14-18 May, 2012.
-  A. Maravita and A. Iriki, “Tools for the body,” Trends in Cognitive Sciences, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 79-86, 2004.
-  A. Farne, A. Serino, and E. Ladavas, “Dynamic size-change of perihand space following tool-use: determinants and spatial characteristics revealed through cross-model extinction,” Cortex, Vol.43, No.3, pp. 436-443, 2007.
-  T. R.Makin, N. P. Holmes, and E. Zohary, “Is That Near My Hand ? Multisensory Represenation of Peripersonal Space in Human Intraparietal Sulcus,” The J. of Neuroscience, Vol.27, No.4, pp. 731-740, January 2007.
-  A. N. Fader and P. F. Escobar, “Laparoendoscopic single-site surgery (LESS) in gynecologic oncology: technique and initial report,” Gynecologic Oncology, Vol.114, 2009.
-  M. Miyazaki, M. Hiroshima, and D. Nozaki, “The Cutaneous Rabbit Hopping out of the Body,” J. Neurosci., Vol.30, No.5, pp. 1856-1860, 2010.
-  H. Imamizu, S. Miyauchi, T. Tamada, Y. Sasaki, R. Takino, B. Pz, T. Yoshioka, and M. Kawato, “Human Cerebellar Activity Reflecting an Acquired Internal Model of a New Tool,” Nature, Vol.403, pp. 192-195, 2000.
-  D. M. Clower and D. Boussaound, “Selective Use of Perceptual Recalibration versus Visuomotor Skill Acquisition,” J. Neurophysiol., Vol.84, pp. 2703-2708, 2000.
-  S. Taya, G. Maehara, and H. Kojima, Hemodynamic changes in response to the stimulated visual quadrants: a study with 24-channel near-infrared spectroscopy,” Jpn. J. Psychonomic Sci., 2009.
-  G. Maehara, S. Taya, and H. Kojima, “Changes in hemoglobin concentration in the lateral occipital regions during shape recognition: a near-infrared spectroscopy study,” J. of Biomedical Optics, Vol.12, No.6, 062109, 2007.
-  R. W. Human, J. Herman, and P. Purdy, “Cerebral location of international 10-20 system electrode placement,” Electroen. Clin. Neurophysiol., Vol.66, pp. 376-382, 1987.
-  C. E. Colby and M. E. Golberg, “Space and attention in parietal cortex,” Annu. Rev. Neurosci., 12, pp. 319-349, 1999.
-  R. A. Anderson, “Visual and eye movement functions of the posterior parietal cortex,” Annu. Rev. Neurosci., Vol.12, pp. 377-403, 1989.
-  J. C. Culham and N. G. Kanwisher, Neuroimaging of cognitive functions in human parietal cortex,” Current Opinion in Neurobiology, Vol.11, pp. 157-163, 2001.
-  SensAble Technology, Inc.,
available at: http://www.sensable.com/haptic-phantom-omni.htm [Accessed August 25, 2014]
-  H. Head and G. Holmes, Sensory disturbances from cerebral lesions,” Brain, Vol.34, pp. 102-245, 1911.
-  J. Paillard, The Use of Tools by Human and Non-human Primates, Oxford University Press, New York , 1993.
-  R. A. Fisher and J. H. Bennett (ed.), “Statistical methods, experimental design, and scientific inference,” Oxford Univ. Press, 1990.
-  C. Nabeshima, Y. Kuniyoshi, and M. Lungarella, “Adaptive Body Scheme for Robotic Tool-Use,” Advanced Robotics, Vol.20, No.10, pp. 1105-1126, 2006.
-  M. Hoffman, H. G. Marques, A. H. Arieta, H. Sumioka, M. Lungarella, and R. Pefeifer, “Body Scheme in Robotics: a Review,” IEEE Trans. Autonomous Mental Development, Vol.2, No.4, pp. 304-324, 2010.
-  E. Cassirer, Philosophie der symbolischen Formen, pp. 1923-1929, 1923.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.