Femtosecond Pulsed Laser Deposition of Graphite on Silicon and Copper Foil
Mary Ann Calleja, Annaliza Amo, Jessa Jayne Miranda,
Floyd Willis Patricio, and Wilson Garcia
Photonics Research Laboratory, National Institute of Physics, University of the Philippines, Diliman 1101, Quezon City, Philippines
We deposited graphite on silicon (111) and copper foil substrate through femtosecond pulsed laser deposition (fs-PLD). A high purity graphite target was placed inside a vacuum chamber at a base pressure of 10-2 mbar. The deposition time was varied for 3 hours, 4 hours and 5 hours. XRD spectra showed a (110) peak indicating an oriented growth for samples deposited on silicon (111) and copper foil substrates. AFM topographical images of the samples deposited on silicon (111) showed flake-like structures. However, samples deposited on copper foil showed the presence of defects and lack of deposited particles.
-  B. Pollard, “Growing graphene via chemical vapor deposition,” Thesis, Department of Physics, Pomona College, 2011.
-  E. Cappelli et al., “Orientation tendency of PLD carbon films as a function of substrate temperature: A NEXAFS study,” Diamond and Related Materials, Vol.14, Iss.3-7, pp. 959-964, 2005.
-  G. Sun et al., “Production of nanosized graphite powders from natural graphite by detonation,” Carbon Vol.46, Iss.3, pp. 476-481, 2008.
-  M. Ali andM. Urgen, “Simultaneous growth of diamond and nanostructured graphite thin films by hot-filament chemical vapor deposition,” Solid State Sciences, Vol.14, Iss.1, pp. 150-154, 2012.
-  M. Shirk and P. Molian, “Ultra-short pulsed laser ablation of highly oriented pyrolitic graphite,” Carbon, Vol.39, Iss.8, pp. 1183-1193, 2001.
-  V. Milanovic et al., “Micromachining technology for lateral field emission devices,” IEEE Trans. on Electronic devices, Vol.48, No.1, 2001.
-  R. Qindeel et al., “Investigation of carbon thin films by pulsed laser deposition at different temperatures,” J. of non-Oxide Glasses, Vol.1, p. 191, 2010.
-  F.Kokai and Y. Koga, “Time-of-flight mass spectrometric studies on the plume dynamics of laser ablation of graphite,” Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics research B, Vol.121, Iss.1-4, pp. 387-391, 1997.
-  E. Gamaly et al., “Ablation of solids by femtosecond lasers: Ablation mechanism and ablation thresholds for metals and dielectrics,” Physics Plasmas Vol.9, Iss.3, pp. 949-957, 2002.
-  T. Yoshitake et al., “Atomic force microscopy study of carbon thin films prepared by pulsed laser deposition,” Applied Surface Science, Vol.141, Iss.1-2, pp. 129-137, 1999.
-  A. Sharma et al., “Structural and tribological characteristics of diamond-like carbon films deposited by pulsed laser ablation,” Materials Science and Engineering B, Vol.77, Iss.2, pp. 139-143, 2000.
-  P. Banks et al., “Short-pulse laser deposition of diamond-like carbon thinfilms,” Applied Physics A, Vol.69, Iss.7, pp.347-353, 1999.
-  R. Downs, “The RRUFF project: an integrated study of the chemistry, crystallography, Raman and infrared spectroscopy of minerals,” Program and Abstracts of the 19th General Meeting of the Int. Mineralogical Association in Kobe, Japan, o03-13, 2006.
-  M.McMahon and R. Nelmes, “New high pressure phase of silicon,” Physical Review B, Vol.47, pp. 8337-8340, 1993.
-  M. Darby, “Femtosecond pulsed laser deposition,” Ph.D Thesis, Optoelectronics Research Centre, University of Southampton, 2009.
-  H. Wang et al., “Effect of milling on the electrochemical performance of natural graphite as an anode material for lithium-ion battery,” J. of Power Sources, Vol.83, Iss.1-2, pp. 141-147, 1999.
Floyd Willis Patricio, and Wilson Garcia, “Femtosecond Pulsed Laser Deposition of Graphite on Silicon and Copper Foil,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.18, No.5, pp. 764-768, 2014
Floyd Willis Patricio, and Wilson Garcia, J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.18, No.5, pp. 764-768, 2014