Foot Age Estimation System from Walking Dynamics Based on Fuzzy Logic
Takahiro Takeda*1, Yoshitada Sakai*2, Syoji Kobashi*3,*4,
Kei Kuramoto*3,*4, and Yutaka Hata*3,*4
*1Graduate School of System Design, Tokyo Metropolitan University, 6-6 Asahigaoka, Hino, Tokyo 191-0065, Japan
*2Division of Rehabilitation Medicine, Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe University, 7-5-1 Kusukino, Kobe, Hyogo 650-0017, Japan
*3Graduate School of Engineering, University of Hyogo, 2167 Shosha, Himeji, Hyogo 671-2280, Japan
*4WPI Immunology Frontier Research Center, Osaka University, 3-1 Yamadaoka, Suita, Osaka 565-0871, Japan
This paper describes a foot-age estimation system based on fuzzy logic. The foot-age is one of age related indexes, and it shows the degree of aging by the gait condition. The system estimates the foot-age from sole pressure distribution change during walking. The sole pressure distribution is acquired by a mat-type load distribution sensor. Our estimation system extracts four gait features from sole pressure data, and calculates fuzzy degrees for young age,middle age and elderly age groups from these gait features. The footage of the walking person on the sensor is calculated by fuzzy MIN-MAX center of gravity method. In our experiment, we employed 93 male and 132 female volunteers, and the system estimated their foot-ages with low mean absolute error for their true ages. Additionally, we developed a diagnosis system based on estimated foot-age.
Kei Kuramoto, and Yutaka Hata, “Foot Age Estimation System from Walking Dynamics Based on Fuzzy Logic,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.18, No.4, pp. 489-498, 2014.
-  Y. Ehara and S. Yamamoto, “Introduction to Clinical Gait Measurement,” 1st Ed., Ishiyaku Publications, Inc., 2008. (in Japanese)
-  D. A. Winter, “Biomechanics and motor control of human movement,” 3rd Ed.,Wiley, 2004.
-  T. Cloete and C. Scheffer, “Benchmarking of a full-body inertial motion capture system for clinical gait analysis,” Int. conf. on IEEE, Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, 2008, pp. 4579-4582, 2008.
-  J. Mantyjarvi, M. Lindholm, E. Vildjiounaite, S. M. Makela, and H. A. Ailisto, “Identifying users of portable devices from gait pattern with accelerometers,” Int. conf. on IEEE, Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, 2005, 2, ii973-ii976, 2005.
-  A. Fukayama, M. Sawaki, H. Murase, and N. Hagita, “Age estimation from dynamic features of gait,” IEICE Trans. on Information and Systems, Pt.2, J84-D-2-7, pp. 1522-1526, 2001. (in Japanese)
-  T. Takeda, K. Kuramoto, S. Kobashi, and Y. Hata, “Fuzzy-logic is precise – Its application to biometric system –,” J. of Scientia Iranica, Vol.18, No.3, pp. 655-662, 2011.
-  T. Takeda, Y. Sakai, K. Kuramoto, S. Kobashi, T. Ishikawa, and Y. Hata, “Foot age estimation for fall-prevention using sole pressure by fuzzy logic,” Proc. of 2011 IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, pp. 769-774, 2011.
-  M. J. Hessert, M. Vyas, J. Leach, K. Hu, L. A. Lipsitz, and V. Novak, “Foot pressure distribution during walking in young and old adults,” J. of BMC Geriatr, Vol.8, No.8, 2005.
-  K. Yonekawa, T. Yonezawa, J. Nakazawa, and H. Tokuda, “FASH: detecting tiredness walking people using pressure sensors,” Proc. of MobiQuitous 2009, 1-6, 2009.
-  S. Shimada and Y. Aoyagi, “Quantitative evaluation of gait ability in elderly individuals based on foot contact area,” IEICE Trans. on Information and Systems, Pt.1, J82-D-1-7, pp. 796-799, 2004. (in Japanese)
-  K. Sudo, S. Shimada, S. Ohtsuka, and A, Tomono, “Analysis of differences in walking pattern, due to age, using a pressure sensor array,” Tec. report of IEICE, MBE96-84, 96-379, pp. 19-26, 1996.
-  J. Yamato, S. SHimada, S. Ohtsuka, and A. Tomono, “Development of gait analyzer using large area pressure sensor array,” IEICE Trans. on Information and Systems, Pt.2, Vol.J84-D-2-12, pp. 380-389, 2001. (in Japanese)
-  L. A. Zadeh, “Fuzzy sets,” J. of Information and Control, Vol.8, No.3, pp. 338-353, 1965.
-  L. A. Zadeh, “The role of fuzzy logic in the management of uncertainty in expert systems,” Fuzzy Sets and Sysems, 11-1-3, pp. 199-227, 1983.
-  R. Kruse, J. Gebhardt, and F. Kalawonn, “Foundations of fuzzy systems,” 1st Ed. John Wiley & Sons Ltd., 1994.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.