Dental Numbering for Periapical Radiograph Based on Multiple Fuzzy Attribute Approach
Martin Leonard Tangel*, Chastine Fatichah**, Fei Yan*,
Janet Pomares Betancourt*, Muhammad Rahmat Widyanto***,
Fangyan Dong*, and Kaoru Hirota*
*Department of Computational Intelligence and Systems Science, Tokyo Institute of Technology, G3-49, 4259 Nagatsuta, Midori-ku, Yokohama 226-8502, Japan
**Department of Informatics, Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember, Kampus ITS Keputih, Surabaya 60111, Indonesia
***Department of Computer Science, University of Indonesia, Depok Campus, Depok 16424, West Java, Indonesia
The dental numbering for periapical radiograph based on multiple fuzzy attribute approach proposed here analyzes each individual tooth based on multiple criteria such as area/perimeter and width/height ratios. The classification and numbering in a special dental image called a periapical radiograph is studied without speculative classification in cases of ambiguous objects, so an accurate, assistive result is obtained due to the capability of handling ambiguous teeth. Experiment results in using periapical dental radiograph from the University of Indonesia indicate a total classification accuracy of 82.51%, an average classification rate per input radiograph of 84.29%, a maxilla-mandible identification accuracy from 78 radiographs of 82.05%, and a numbering accuracy from 15 radiographs of 90.47%. It is planned that the proposed classification and numbering be implemented as a submodule for dental-based personal identification now being developed.
Janet Pomares Betancourt, Muhammad Rahmat Widyanto,
Fangyan Dong, and Kaoru Hirota, “Dental Numbering for Periapical Radiograph Based on Multiple Fuzzy Attribute Approach,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.18, No.3, pp. 253-261, 2014.
-  M. Petju, A. Suteerayongprasert, R. Thongpud, and K. Hassiri, “Importance of dental records for victim identification following the Indian ocean tsunami disaster in Thailand,” The Royal Institute of Public Health, Vol.121, No.4, pp. 251-257, 2007.
-  O. Nomir and M. Abdel-Mottaleb, “Hierarchical contour matching for dental x-ray radiographs,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.41, No.1, pp. 130-138, 2008.
-  M. Abdel-Mottaleb, O. Nomir, D. E. Nassar, G. Fahmy, and H. H. Ammar, “Challenges of developing an automated dental identification system,” IEEE Int. Mid-west Symposium. Circuits System, Vol.1, pp. 411-414, 2003.
-  A. K. Jain and H. Chen, “Matching of dental x-ray images for human identification,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.37, No.7, pp. 1519-1532, 2004.
-  Y. H. Lai and P. L. Lin, “Effective segmentation for dental x-ray images using texture-based fuzzy inference,” Advanced Concepts for Intelligent Vision Systems, LNCS, Vol.5259, pp. 936-947, 2008.
-  M. Tangel, C. Fatichah, M. R. Widyanto, F. Dong, and K. Hirota, “Fuzzy logic based emotional multi agent system approach for dental x-ray image segmentation,” Int. Symposium on Intelligent System Conf. 2010, Tokyo Metropolitan University, Japan, 2010.
-  M. Tangel, C. Fatichah, M. R. Widyanto, F. Dong, and K. Hirota, “Multiscale image analysis for dental radiograph segmentation,” World Congress of Int. Fuzzy System Association 2011, Surabaya-Bali, Indonesia, 2011.
-  M. Tangel, C. Fatichah, M. R. Widyanto, F. Dong, and K. Hirota, “Multiscale image aggregation for dental radiograph segmentation,” J. of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 388-396, 2012.
-  P. L. Lin, Y. H. Lai, and P. W. Huang, “Classification and numbering system for dental bitewing radiographs using teeth region and contour information,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.43, No.4, pp. 1380-1392, 2010.
-  F. Aeini and F. Mahmoudi, “Classification and numbering of posterior teeth in bitewing dental image,” ICACTE, Vol.6, pp. 66-72, 2010.
-  M. Mahoor and M. Mottaleb, “Classification and numbering of teeth in dental bitewing images,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.38, No.4, pp. 577-586, 2005.
-  M. Tangel, C. Fatichah, F. Yan, J. P. Betancourt, M. R. Widyanto, F. Dong, and K. Hirota, “Dental classification for periapical radiograph based on multiple fuzzy attribute,” IFSAWorld Congress and NAFIPS AnnualMeeting (IFSA/NAFIPS) 2013 Joint, pp. 304 -309, 2013.