A Development of Force Distribution Measurement System with High Resolution for Total Knee Arthroplasty
Mohd Hanafi Mat Som*,**, Kouki Nagamune*,***, Takashi Kamiya*,
Shogo Kawaguchi*, Koji Takayama***, Tomoyuki Matsumoto***,
Ryosuke Kuroda***, and Masahiro Kurosaka***
*Graduate School of Engineering, University of Fukui, 3-9-1 Bunkyo, Fukui-shi, Fukui 910-0017, Japan
**School of Mechatronic Engineering, Universiti Malaysia Perlis, Pauh Putra Campus, Arau, Perlis 02600, Malaysia
***Graduate School of Medicine, Kobe University, 7-5-1 Kusunokicho, Chuo-ku, Hyogo, Kobe 650-0017, Japan
-  H. P. Delport, J. Vander Sloten, and J. Bellemans, “New possible pathways in improving outcome and patient satisfaction after TKA,” Acta Orthopædica Belgica, Vol.79, No.3, 2013.
-  S. Kurtz, K. Ong, E. Lau, F. Mowat, andM. Halpern, “Projections of primary and revision hip and knee arthroplasty in the United States from 2005 to 2030,” The J. of Bone & Joint Surgery, Vol.89, No.4, pp. 780-785, 2007.
-  C. Lavernia, D. J. Lee, and V. H. Hernandez, “The increasing financial burden of knee revision surgery in the United States,” Clinical orthopaedics and related research, Vol.446, pp. 221-226, 2006.
-  Y. Kadono, H. Yasunaga, H. Horiguchi, H. Hashimoto, S. Matsuda, S. Tanaka, and K. Nakamura, “Statistics for orthopedic surgery 2006–2007: data from the Japanese Diagnosis Procedure Combination database,” J. of Orthopaedic Science, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 162- 170, 2010.
-  G. Golladay, K. Gustke, L. C. Elson, and C. R. Anderson, “Intraoperative Sensors for Dynamic Feedback During Soft Tissue Balancing Preliminary Results of a Prospective Multicenter Study,” American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, 2013.
-  C. A. Jones, D. C. Voaklander, D. Johnston, and M. E. Suarez-Almazor, “Health related quality of life outcomes after total hip and knee arthroplasties in a community based population.,” The J. of rheumatology, Vol.27, No.7, pp. 1745-1752, 2000.
-  J. A. Rand, R. T. Trousdale, D. M. Ilstrup, and W. S. Harmsen, “Factors affecting the durability of primary total knee prostheses,” The J. of Bone & Joint Surgery, Vol.85, No.2, pp. 259-265, 2003.
-  A. D. Beswick, V. Wylde, R. Gooberman-Hill, A. Blom, and P. Dieppe, “What proportion of patients report long-term pain after total hip or knee replacement for osteoarthritis? A systematic review of prospective studies in unselected patients,” BMJ Open, Vol.2, No.1, 2012.
-  T. K. Fehring, S. Odum,W. L. Griffin, J. B. Mason, and M. Nadaud, “Early failures in total knee arthroplasty,” Clinical orthopaedics and related research, Vol.392, pp. 315-318, 2001.
-  R. Siston, N. Giori, S. Goodman, and S. Delp, “Surgical navigation for total knee arthroplasty: A perspective,” J. Biomech., Vol.40, pp. 728-735, 2007.
-  D. Crottet, J. Kowal, S. Sarfert, T.Maeder, H. Bleuler, and L. Nolte, L.P. Dürselen, “Ligament balancing in TKA: Evaluation of a forcesensing device and the influence of patellar eversion and ligament release,” J. Biomech., Vol.40, pp. 1709-1715, 2007.
-  S. Babazadeh, J. D. Stoney, K. Lim, and P. F. Choong, “The relevance of ligament balancing in total knee arthroplasty: how important is it? A systematic review of the literature,” Orthopedic reviews, Vol.1, No.e26, 2009.
-  E. Aunan, T. Kibsgård, J. Clarke-Jenssen, and S. Röhrl, “A new method to measure ligament balancing in total knee arthroplasty: laxity measurements in 100 knees,” Archives of orthopaedic and trauma surgery, pp. 1-9, 2012.
-  F. Griffin, J. Insall, and G. Scuderi, “Accuracy of soft tissue balancing in total knee arthroplasty,” The J. of arthroplasty, Vol.15, No.8, pp. 970-973, 2000.
-  T. Matsumoto, H. Muratsu, S. Kubo, M. Kurosaka, and R. Kuroda, “Recent Advances in Hip and Knee Arthroplasty,” chapter 18, In-Tech, Jan. 2012.
-  T. Matsumoto, H. Muratsu, S. Kubo, T. Matsushita, M. Kurosaka, and R. Kuroda, “Soft Tissue Tension in Cruciate-Retaining and Posterior-Stabilized Total Knee Arthroplasty,” J. Arthroplasty, Vol.26, pp. 788-795, 2011.
-  S. Okamoto, K. Okazaki, H. Mitsuyasu, S. Matsuda, and Y. Iwamoto, “Lateral Soft Tissue Laxity Increases but Medial Laxity Does Not Contract With Varus Deformity in Total Knee Arthroplasty,” Clinical orthopaedics and related research, 2012.
-  D. Viskontas, T. Skrinskas, J. Johnson, G. King, M.Winemaker, and D. Chess, “Computer-assisted gap equalization in total knee arthroplasty,” The J. of arthroplasty, Vol.22, No.3, pp. 334-342, 2007.
-  M. Winemaker, “Perfect balance in total knee arthroplasty: the elusive compromise,” The J. of arthroplasty, Vol.17, No.1, pp. 2-10, 2002.
-  J.Wu, X. Pang, and G.Wang, “The Geometry Parameters Measurement in the Computer Aided Knee Replacement Surgery System,” InWCSE ’09, WRI World Congress on Software Engineering 2009, Vol.3, pp. 67-70, 2009.
-  B. A. Morris, D. D. D’Lima, J. Slamin, N. Kovacevic, S. W. Arms, C. P. Townsend, and C. W. ColwellJr, “e-Knee: Evolution of the Electronic Knee Prosthesis Telemetry Technology Development,” The J. of Bone & Joint Surgery, Vol.83, No.2 suppl 1, pp. S62-66, 2001.
-  T. Takahashi, Y. Wada, and H. Yamamoto, “Soft-tissue balancing with pressure distribution during total knee arthroplasty,” J. of Bone & Joint Surgery, British Volume, Vol.79, No.2, pp. 235-239, 1997.
-  A. L. Wallace, M. L. Harris, W. R. Walsh, and W. J. Bruce, “Intraoperative assessment of tibiofemoral contact stresses in total knee arthroplasty,” The J. of arthroplasty, Vol.13, No.8, pp. 923-927, 1998.
-  K. Tanaka, H. Muratsu, K. Mizuno, R. Kuroda, S. Yoshiya, and M. Kurosaka, “Soft tissue balance measurement in anterior cruciate ligament-resected knee joint: cadaveric study as a model for cruciate-retaining total knee arthroplasty,” J. of Orthopaedic Science, Vol.12, No.2, pp. 149-153, 2007.
-  M. Ohmukai, Y. Kami, and R. Matsuura, “Electrode for Force Sensor of Conductive Rubber,” J. of Sensor Technology, Vol.2, No.3, pp. 127-131, 2012.
-  P. Tsotra and K. Friedrich, “Electrical and mechanical properties of functionally graded epoxy-resin/carbon fibre composites,” Composites Part A: applied science and manufacturing, Vol.34, No.1, pp. 75-82, 2003.
-  Y.-J. Yang, M.-Y. Cheng, W.-Y. Chang, L.-C. Tsao, S.-A. Yang, W.-P. Shih, F.-Y. Chang, S.-H. Chang, and K.-C. Fan, “An integrated flexible temperature and tactile sensing array using PI-copper films,” Sensors and Actuators A: Physical, Vol.143, No.1, pp. 143-153, 2008.
-  N. Das, T. Chaki, and D. Khastgir, “Effect of processing parameters, applied pressure and temperature on the electrical resistivity of rubber-based conductive composites,” Carbon, Vol.40, No.6, pp. 807-816, 2002.
-  M. Hussain, Y. Choa, and K. Niihara, “Conductive rubber materials for pressure sensors,” J. of materials science letters, Vol.20, Vol.6, pp. 525-527, 2001.
-  F. Souza, R. Michel, and B. Soares, “A methodology for studying the dependence of electrical resistivity with pressure in conducting composites,” Polymer testing, Vol.24, No.8, pp. 998-1004, 2005.
-  M. Shimojo, A. Namiki, M. Ishikawa, R. Makino, and K. Mabuchi, “A Tactile Sensor Sheet Using Pressure Conductive Rubber With Electrical-Wires Stitched Method,” Vol.4, No.5, pp. 589-596, 2004.
-  F. Xu, Y. Ge, Y. Yu, J. Ding, T. Ju, and S. Li, “The Design of a Novel Flexible Tactile Sensor Based on Pressure-conductive Rubber,” Sensors & Transducers, Vol.124, No.1, 2011.
-  W. Mars and A. Fatemi, “Factors that affect the fatigue life of rubber: a literature survey,” Rubber Chemistry and Technology, Vol.77, No.3, pp. 391-412, 2004.
-  K. Weiß and H. Worn, “The working principle of resistive tactile sensor cells,” In Mechatronics and Automation, 2005 IEEE Int. Conf., Vol.1, pp. 471-476, 2005.
-  V. Pinskerova, P. Johal, S. Nakagawa, A. Sosna, A. Williams, W. Gedroyc, and M. Freeman, “Does the femur roll-back with flexion?,” J. of Bone & Joint Surgery, British Volume, Vol.86, No.6, pp. 925-931, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.