An Improved Particle Swarm Optimization Deployment for Wireless Sensor Networks
Shuxin Ding, Chen Chen, Jie Chen,
and Bin Xin
School of Automation, Beijing Institute of Technology, Key Laboratory of Intelligent Control and Decision of Complex Systems, 5 Zhong Guan Cun South Street, Haidian District, Beijing 100081, China
This paper addresses the issues associated with deployment of sensors, which are critical in wireless sensor networks. This paper provides an improved particle swarm optimization (PSO) algorithm by changing the basic form of PSO and introducing disturbance (d-PSO). By comparing with other PSO-based algorithms, simulation results show that the d-PSO algorithm provides a good-coverage solution with a satisfying coverage rate in a short time. This feature is especially useful for the rapid deployment of sensors.
and Bin Xin, “An Improved Particle Swarm Optimization Deployment for Wireless Sensor Networks,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.18, No.2, pp. 107-112, 2014.
-  A. S. Majid, and E. Joelianto, “Optimal sensor deployment in nonconvex region using Discrete Particle Swarm Optimization algorithm,” IEEE Conf. on Control, Systems & Industrial Informatics, pp. 109-113, 2012.
-  N. Aziz, A. W. Mohemmed, and M. Y. Alias, “A wireless sensor network coverage optimization algorithm based on particle swarm optimization and Voronoi diagram,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Networking, Sensing and Control, pp. 602-607, 2009.
-  A. M. Elmogy, F. Karray, and A. M. Khamis, “Auction-Based Consensus Mechanism for Cooperative Tracking in Multi-Sensor Surveillance Systems,” J. of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.14, No.1, pp. 13-20, 2010.
-  N. Aziz, A. W. Mohemmed, and D. Sagar, “Particle swarm optimization and Voronoi diagram for wireless sensor networks coverage optimization,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Intelligent and Advanced Systems, pp. 961-965, 2007.
-  R. V. Kulkarni and G. K. Venayagamoorthy, “Particle swarm optimization in wireless-sensor networks: A brief survey,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part C: Applications and Reviews, Vol.41, No.2, pp. 262-267, 2011.
-  X. Wang, S. Wang, and J. Ma, “Dynamic deployment optimization in wireless sensor networks,” Intelligent Control and Automation. Springer Berlin Heidelberg, pp. 182-187, 2006.
-  R. Soleimanzadeh, B. J. Farahani, and M. Fathy, “PSO based deployment algorithms in hybrid sensor networks,” Int. J. Comput. Sci. Netw. Secur, Vol.10, pp. 167-171, 2010.
-  X. Wang, S. Wang, and J. Ma, “An Improved Co-evolutionary Particle Swarm Optimization for Wireless Sensor Networks with Dynamic Deployment,” Sensors Vol.7, No.3, pp. 354-370, 2007.
-  F. Jing, W. Qiong, and H. Jun Feng, “Optimal deployment of wireless mesh sensor networks based on Delaunay triangulations,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Information Networking and Automation, Vol.1, pp. 370-374, 2010.
-  R. C. Luo and O. Chen. “Mobile sensor node deployment and asynchronous power management for wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.59, No.5, pp. 2377-2385, 2012.
-  K. Chakrabarty, S. S. Iyengar, H. Qi et al, “Grid coverage for surveillance and target location in distributed sensor networks,” IEEE Trans. on Computers, Vol.51, No.12, pp. 1448-1453, 2002.
-  X. Wang and S. Wang, “Hierarchical deployment optimization for wireless sensor networks,” IEEE Trans. on Mobile Computing, Vol.10, No.7, pp. 1028-1041, 2011.
-  Y. Zou and K. Chakrabarty, “Sensor deployment and target localization in distributed sensor networks,” ACM Trans. on Embedded Computing Systems (TECS), Vol.8, No.1, pp. 61-91, 2004.
-  J. Kennedy and R. Eberhart, “Particle swarm optimization,” IEEE Int. Conf. on Neural Networks, pp. 1942-1948, 1995.
-  F. Van den Bergh and A. P. Engelbrecht, “A cooperative approach to particle swarm optimization,” IEEE Trans. on Evolutionary Computing, Vol.8, No.3, pp. 225-239, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.