Fractal-Based Analysis for the Energy Consumption Efficiency of Biological Networks
Hidekazu Furuki, Hiroshi Sato, and Tomohiro Shirakawa
Department of Computer Science, National Defense Academy of Japan, 1-10-20 Hashirimizu, Yokosuka, Kanagawa 239-8686, Japan
Using a simulation model, we investigated the energy consumption efficiency of biological networks in terms of the fractal dimension of network morphology, the flow rate inside, and the resources needed for network construction. In themodel, we constructedmany types of tree networks and simulated the fluidic flow inside the networks. As a result, we clarified the precision of a preexisting equation and the efficiency of energy consumption for the networks.
-  C. Song, S. Havlin, and H. A. Makse, “Self-similarity of complex networks,” Nature, Vol.433, pp. 392-395, 2005.
-  S. Kamiya, “Fractal dimensions of rivers in Japan,” Annual Natural Sci. Dept. Mech Eng. Okayama Univ. Sci., Vol.28, pp. 309-318, 1992.
-  T.Matsuo and O. Kyoto, “Fractal Analysis of Human Retinal Blood Vessels,” Medical Imaging Technology, Vol.15, p. 592, 1997.
-  K. Goda,W. Shiraki, and S. Obayashi, “Application of fractal theory to city growth and form analysis with construction of large-scale infrastructure,” J. of Structure Engineering, Vol.51A, pp. 313-322, 2005.
-  Y. Nakano, S. Watanabe, K. Okano, and J. Tatsumi, “The influence of growing temperatures on activity and structure of tomato roots hydroponically grown in wet atmosphere or in solution,” J. Japan. Soc. Hort. Sci., Vol.71, No.5, pp. 683-690, 2002.
-  K. Shiroma, K. Mori, and E. Takushi, “Fractal dimensions for growth and aging of plant,” Meeting abstracts of the Physical Society of Japan, Vol.55, No.2-2, p. 247, 2000.
-  M. Kleiber, “Body size and metabolism,” Hilgardia, Vol.6, pp. 315-353, 1932.
-  G. B.West, J. H. Brown, and B. J. Enquist, “A general model for the origin of allometric scaling laws in biology,” SCIENCE, Vol.276, pp. 122-126, 1997.
-  W. S. Rasband, “ImageJ,” U. S. National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA,
[Access November 2, 2013]
-  C. D. Murray, “A relationship between circumference and weight in trees and its bearing on branding angles,” The J. of General Physiology, Vol.10, No.5, pp. 725-729, 1927.
-  C. D. Murray, “The physiological principle of minimum work applied to the angle of branching of arteries,” The J. of General Physiology, Vol.9, No.6, pp. 835-841, 1926.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.