Fuzzy Control of Target Approaching and Object-Grabbing for a Four-Wheeled Vision-Based Mobile Robot
Chih-Hung Wu, I-Sheng Lin, and Ming-Liang Wei
Department of Electrical Engineering, National University of Kaohsiung, 700 Kaohsiung Univ. Road, Nan-Tzu, Kaohsiung 811, Taiwan
This paper presents practical experiences in deploying a fuzzy controller on a vision-based fourwheeled mobile robot for target-approaching and object-grabbing. The robot senses the environment using a simple CCD camera in its patrol. One of the robot’s missions is to actuate a mechanical grabber for picking up specific objects detected in its patrol routine. To overcome the control errors caused by physical friction and inertia, a fuzzy controller is designed and implemented for wheel-driving and objectgrabbing. Definitions are presented for fuzzy sets and control rules that consider hardware specifications. The feasibility of the method has been verified under various ground friction. Experiments in the performance of the proposed method are presented and analyzed.
-  C.-F. Juang and C.-H. Hsu, “Reinforcement Ant Optimized Fuzzy Controller for Mobile-Robot Wall-Following Control,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.56, No.10, pp. 3931-3940, Oct. 2009.
-  Z.-L. Wang, C.-H. Yang, and T.-Y. Guo, “The design of an autonomous parallel parking neuro-fuzzy controller for a car-like mobile robot,” In Proc. of SICE Annual Conf. 2010, pp. 2593-2599, Aug. 2010.
-  A. Ray, L. Behera, and M. Jamshidi, “Sonar-Based Rover Navigation for Single or Multiple Platforms: Forward Safe Path and Target Switching Approach,” IEEE Systems J., Vol.2, No.2, pp. 258-272, June 2008.
-  R. Siegwart, I. R. Nourbakhsh, and D. Scaramuzza, ”Introduction to Autonomous Mobile Robots,” The MIT Press, Stringer, Cambridge, Massachusetts 02142, March 2011.
-  Y. Gao and S.-D. Shun, “Local Path Planning of Mobile Robots in Dynamic Unknown Environment Based on Prediction of Collision,” In Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Measuring Technology and Mechatronics Automation, Vol.2, pp. 84-88, Apr. 2009.
-  G. Reina, A. Vargas, K. Nagatani, and K. Yoshida, “Adaptive Kalman Filtering for GPS-based Mobile Robot Localization,” In Proc. of the IEEE Int. Workshop on Safety, Security and Rescue Robotics, pp. 1-6, Sept. 2007.
-  K. K. Jung, K. H. Hyun, J. W. Kim, S. B. Chung, and K. H. Eom, “Moving target tracking of mobile robot using 1-D image projection method,” In Int. Conf. on Control, Automation and Systems, pp. 994-997, 2007.
-  B. Li and C. Zhang, “Adaptive fuzzy control for mobile robot obstacle avoidance based on virtual line path tracking,” In Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics, pp. 1454-1458, 2006.
-  J. Chunyu, Z. Qu, E. Pollak, and M. Falash, “Reactive targettracking control with obstacle avoidance of unicycle-type mobile robots in a dynamic environment,” In Proc. of the American Control Conf., pp. 1190-1195, 2010.
-  H.-J. Kwak and G.-T. Park, “Design of adaptive PD controller for weight independent target tracking of home service mobile robot,” In Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Consumer Electronics, pp. 779-780, 2011.
-  D. M. Flickinger and M. A. Minor, “Remote Low Frequency State Feedback Kinematic Motion Control for Mobile Robot Trajectory Tracking,” In Proc. of the Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, pp. 3502-3507, 2007.
-  T. Yasuda, N. Suehiro, and K. Tanaka, “Strategies for collision prevention of a compact powered wheelchair using SOKUIKI sensor and applying fuzzy theory,” In Proc. of the 2009 IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Biomimetics, pp. 202-208, Dec. 2009.
-  T.-H. S. Li, S.-J. Chang, and W. Tong, “Fuzzy target tracking control of autonomous mobile robots by using infrared sensors,” IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.12, No.4, pp. 491-501, 2004.
-  C.-H. Chao, B.-Y. Hsueh, M.-Y. Hsiao, S.-H. Tasi, and T. H. S. Li, “Real-time target tracking and obstacle avoidance for mobile robots using two cameras,” In Proc. of the ICCAS-SICE, pp. 4347-4352, 2009.
-  P. Shi and Y. Cui, “Dynamic path planning for mobile robot based on genetic algorithm in unknown environment,” In Proc. of 2010 Chinese Control and Decision Conf. (CCDC), pp. 4325-4329, May 2010.
-  M. Abdellatif, “A vision-based navigation control system for a mobile service robot,” In Proc. of the 2007 SICE Annual Conf., pp. 1517-1522, Sept. 2007.
-  C.-C. Wong, C.-L. Hwang, K.-H. Huang, Y.-Y. Hu, and C.-T. Cheng, “Design and Implementation of Vision-Based Fuzzy Obstacle Avoidance Method on Humanoid Robot,” Int. J. of Fuzzy Systems, Vol.13, No.1, pp. 45-54, March 2011.
-  C.-T. Cheng, H.-C. Chen, Y.-Y. Hu, and C.-C. Wong, “Fuzzy Balancing Control of a Small-size Humanoid Robot based on Accelerometer,” Int. J. of Fuzzy Systems, Vol.11, No.3, pp. 146-153, Sept. 2009.
-  P.-J. Lee, C.-H. Yen, C.-L. Chan, M.-S. Lee, and R.-C. Wang, “Implementation of a Fuzzy Control Based Intelligent Robot Fish,” Int. J. of Fuzzy Systems, Vol.11, No.4, pp. 287-297, Dec. 2009.
-  R. C. Gonzalez and R. E. Woods, “Digital Image Processing (3rd Edition),” Prentice-Hall, Inc., Upper Saddle River, NJ, USA, 2006.
-  G. Bradski, “The OpenCV Library,” Dr. Dobb’s J. of Software Tools, 2000.