Fault Diagnosis of Power Distribution Feeders with PV System Using Equivalent-Input-Disturbance Approach
Bo Hu*, Jinhua She**, and Ryuichi Yokoyama*
*Graduate School of Environment and Energy Engineering, Waseda University, 3-4-1 Okubo, Shinju-ku, Tokyo 169-8555, Japan
**Department of Mechatronics School of Engineering, Tokyo University of Technology, 1401-1 Katakura, Hachioji, Tokyo 192-0982, Japan
This paper describes a fault diagnosis method based on the equivalent-input-disturbance (EID) approach to power distribution feeders connected to a photovoltaic (PV) system. Node faults are treated as a system disturbance and are estimated using an EID estimator. First, a dynamic model that contains both the PV system and a power supply utility for the feeder is built. Second, an EID estimator is constructed to estimate the disturbance to the system on the control input channel. Third, a method for abstracting the amount caused by the PV system in the EID is presented to estimate the effect caused by faults. Simulation results demonstrate the validity and superiority of the method.
-  C. Fukui and J. Kawakami, “An expert system for fault section estimation using information from protective relays and circuit breakers,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol.1, No.4, pp. 83-90, Nov. 1986.
-  K. M. Silva, B. A. Souza, and N. S. D. Brito, “Fault Detection and Classification in Transmission Lines Based on Wavelet Transform and ANN,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol.21, No.4, pp. 2058-2063, Oct. 2006.
-  V. Calderaro, C. N. Hadjicostis, A. Piccolo, and P. Siano, “Failure Identification in Smart Grids Based on Petri Net Modeling,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol.58, No.10, pp. 4613-4623, Oct. 2011.
-  F. Zidani, D. Diallo, M. El Hachemi Benbouzid, and R. Nait-Said, “A Fuzzy-Based Approach for the Diagnosis of Fault Modes in a Voltage-Fed PWM Inverter Induction Motor Drive,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol.55, No.2, pp. 586-593, Feb. 2008.
-  H. C. Shu, X. F. Xun, and J. L. Yu, “A Survey on the Application of Rough Set Theory in Power Systems,” Automation of Electric Power Systems, Vol.28, No.3, pp. 90-95. 2004.
-  E. M. Davidson, S. McArthur, and J. R. McDonald, “Applying multi-agent system technology in practice: automated management and analysis of SCADA and digital fault recorder data,” IEEE Trans. Power Syst., Vol.21, No.2, pp. 559-567, May 2006.
-  X. Lin, S. Ke, and Z. Li, “A Fault Diagnosis Method of Power Systems Based on Improved Objective Function and Genetic Algorithm-Tabu Search,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol.25, No.3, pp. 1268-1274, Jul. 2010.
-  M. E. Baran, H. Hooshyar, Z. Shen, and A. Huang, “Accommodating High PV Penetration on Distribution Feeders,” IEEE Trans. smart grid. Vol.3, No.2, pp. 1039-1046, Jun. 2012.
-  M. E. Baran, H. Hooshyar, Z. Shen, J. Gajda, and K. M. M. Huq, “Impact of High Penetration Residential PV Systems on Distribution Systems,” Power and Energy Society General Meeting, IEEE, Jul. 2011.
-  S. X. Ding, “Model-based Fault Diagnosis Techniques: Design Schemes, Algorithms, and Tools,” Springer, Duisburg Germany, pp. 11-23, 2008.
-  J. She, M. Fang, Y. Ohyama, H. Hashimoto, and M. Wu, “Improving Disturbance-Rejection Performance Based on an Equivalent-Input-Disturbance Approach,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Vol.55, No.1, pp. 380-389, Jan. 2008.
-  J. She, X. Xin, and Y. Ohyama, “Estimation of Equivalent Input Disturbance Improves Vehicular Steering Control,” IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol.56, No.6, pp. 3722-3731, Nov. 2007.
-  J. She, X. Xin, and Y. Pan, “Equivalent-Input-Disturbance Approach – Analysis and Application to Disturbance Rejection in Dual-Stage Feed Drive Control System,” IEEE/ASME Trans. Mechatronics, Vol.16, No.2, pp. 330-340, Apr. 2011.
-  J. A. Jiang, C. L. Chuang, Y. C. Wang, C. H. Hung, J. Y. Wang, C. H. Lee, and Y. T. Hsiao, “A Hybrid Framework for Fault Detection, Classification, and Location – Part II: Implementation and Test Results,” IEEE Trans. Power Del., Vol.26, No.3, pp. 1999-2008, Jul. 2011.
-  B. Hu, J. She, and R. Yokoyama, “Hierarchical Fault Diagnosis for Power Systems Based on Equivalent Input-Disturbance Approach,” IEEE Trans. Ind. Electron., Doi: 10.1109/TIE.2012.2213560, August 23, 2012 (published online).