360 Degree Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty in Mexican Population
Josué Roberto-Lozano*, Mariya V. Kalashnikova**,
Gustavo Velasco-Gallegos*, and Junzo Watada***
*Global Glaucoma Institute, 2428 Hidalgo st., Obispado, Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico
**Hospital San José, 2428 Hidalgo st., Obispado, Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico
***Graduate School of Information, Production and Systems, Waseda University, 2-7 Hibikino, Wakamatsu-ku, Kitakyushu, Fukuoka 808-0135, Japan
The principal objective of the paper was to determine the safety and effectiveness of Selective Laser Trabeculoplasty (SLT) as applied to Mexican patients with Open Angle Glaucoma (OAG) according to the degree of Intraocular Pressure (IOP) reduction and the patient’s required medication. We used the following materials and methods: patients with OAG who underwent 360° SLT and either were under maximum tolerated topical medical therapy or had unwanted side effects were accepted as objects. The selected patients were subject to IOP measurement with 2 different tonometry methods prior to the SLT procedure and to the follow-up measurements on the third, sixth, and twelfth month after the procedure. In order to evaluate the efficiency of the SLT procedure, statistical analysis making use of the Repeated Measures One-Sample t-test, Paired-Samples t-test + Pearson Correlation Coefficient test, and Wilcoxon Signed-Rank test, was implemented. The main result of our research is: the desired criteria were met by twenty seven patients, who represent a sample of 50 eyes. Based upon this data, we can conclude that the treatment with SLT applied to Mexican patients with OAG reduces IOP and the need for topical medical therapy, which can lead to better control of the disease and compliance with treatment.
-  C. L. Ho, J. S. Lai, M. V. Aquino, P. Rojanapongpun, H. T. Wong, M. C. Aquino, Y. Gerber, M. Belkin, and Y. Barkana, “Selective laser trabeculoplasty for primary angle closure with persistently elevated intraocular pressure after iridotomy,” J. of Glaucoma, Vol.18, No.7, pp. 563-566, Sep. 2009.
-  B. Rubin, A. Taglienti, R. F. Rothman, C. H. Marcus, and J. B. Serle, “The effect of selective laser trabeculoplasty on intraocular pressure in patients with intravitreal steroid-induced elevated intraocular pressure,” J. of Glaucoma, Vol.17, pp. 287-292, 2008.
-  T. Realini, “Selective laser trabeculoplasty: a review,” J. of Glaucoma, Vol.17, No.6, pp. 497-502, 2008.
-  B. K. Hong, J. C. Winer, J. F. Martone, M. Wand, B. Altman, and B. Shields, “Repeat selective laser trabeculoplasty,” J. of Glaucoma, Vol.18, No.3, pp. 180-183, 2009.
-  M. K. George, J. W. Emerson, S. A. Cheema, R. McGlynn, B. A. Ford, J. F. Martone, M. B. Shields, and M. Wand, “Evaluation of a modified protocol for selective laser trabeculoplasty,” J. of Glaucoma, Vol.17, No.3, 197-202, 2008.
-  J. Song, P. Paul, D. L. Epstein, S. S. Stinnett, L. W. Herndon-Jr., S. G. Asrani, R. R. Allingham, and P. Challa, “High failure rate associated with 180 degrees selective laser trabeculoplasty,” J. of Glaucoma Vol.14, No.5, pp. 400-408, 2005.
-  J. E. Freund and R. E. Walpole, “Mathematical Statistics,” Prentice Hall, 1987.
-  M. A. Latina and C. Park, “Selective targeting of trabecular meshwork cells: in vitro studies of pulsed and CW laser interactions,” Exp. Eye Res., Vol.60, pp. 359-371, 1995.
-  A. J. Mao, X. J. Pan, I. McIlraith, M. Strasfeld, G. Colev, and C. Hutnik, “Development of a prediction rule to estimate the probability of acceptable intraocular pressure reduction after selective laser trabeculoplasty in open-angle glaucoma and ocular hypertension,” J. of Glaucoma, Vol.17, No.6, 449-454, 2008.
-  T. Realini, M. Hettlinger, and J. Charlton, “The role of prednisolone acetate in the postoperative period following selective laser trabeculoplasty,” ARVO, Paper 5674, 2007.
-  I.McIlraith, M. Strasfeld, G. Colev, and C.M. L. Hutnik, “Selective laser trabeculoplasty as initial and adjunctive treatment for openangle glaucoma,” J. of Glaucoma, Vol.15, No.2, pp. 124-130, 2006.
-  S. Melamed, G. J. Ben Simon, and H. Levkovitch-Verbin, “Selective laser trabeculoplasty as primary treatment for open-angle glaucoma: a prospective, nonrandomized pilot study,” Arch. Ophthalmol., Vol.121, No.7 pp. 957-960, 2003.
-  D. A. Lee, R. D. Fechtner, R. G. Fiscella, K. Singh, and W. C. Stewart, “Emerging perspectives on glaucoma: highlights of a roundtable discussion,” Am. J. Ophthalmol., Vol.130, Suppl. 4, S1-S11, 2000.
-  B. L. Nordstrom, D. S. Friedman, E. Mozaffari, H. A. Quigley, and A. M. Walker, “Persistence and adherence with topical glaucoma therapy,” Am. J. Ophthalmol., Vol.140, No.4, pp. 598-606, 2005.
-  A. L. Robin and D. Covert, “Does adjunctive glaucoma therapy affect adherence to the initial primary therapy?,” Ophthalmology, Vol.112, No.5, pp. 863-868, 2005.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.