Efficiency Improvement of Information Acquisition in PC Operation with Auditory Signal
Hirohiko Honda* and Kazuko Tobita**
*Applied Computer Sciences, Shonan Institute of Technology, 1-1-25 Tsujido-Nishikaigan, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 251-8511, Japan
**Shonan Institute of Technology, 1-1-25 Tsujido-Nishikaigan, Fujisawa, Kanagawa 251-8511, Japan
When using a personal computer (PC), the visually impaired and patients who have difficulty in maintaining a posture have a hard time in utilizing applications that rely on the state of the screen or GUI. In this study we designed a system that uses auditory signals effectively so that the changes in sound, rhythm, and tone enable the users to understand the current state and recognize transition of states. We focus on a mailing tool this time and make auditory signals selectable according to user characteristics by modifying artificial auditory signals that are similar to environmental sounds and combining them with voice synthesis. We discuss the meaning of the assistive tool that depends less on the screen.
-  J. Ishikawa, “GUI Access Software for the Blind Current Stage and Europe: in North American and Europe,” Information Processing Society of Japan, Vol.36, No.12, pp. 1133-1139, 1995.
-  T. Hatakeyama, Y. Koizumi, Y. Umeda, and M. Uchio, “The Design and Implementation of Pointing Device for aMultimedia Users with Severe Physical Disability,” The J. of the Institute of Image Information and Television Engineers, Vol.52, No.9, pp. 137-143, 1998.
-  T. Aritsuka and N. Hataoka, “GUI Representation System Using Three-dimensional Sound for Visually Disables,” J. of IEICE, Vol.84, No.5, pp. 333-336, 2001.
-  S. Fukuda and K. Hiwaki, “Proposal of Automatic Adjusting Pushdown Keyboard – Toward an Age When Machines Adjust to Humans –,” The Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Vol.15, pp. 372-375, 2005.
-  H. Igarashi, “Skill Enhancing by Subliminal Calibration for Machine Operation Skill Quantification using Input Characteristics,” Proc. Conf. on Information, Intelligence and Precision Equipment (IIP2010), Vol.10, No.7, pp. 102-105, 2010.
-  K. Kiguchi, Y. Hayashi, and Y. Kose, “An upper-limb power-assist system with perception-assist in accordance with a handling tool and movement,” Proc. Conf. on Information, Intelligence and Precision Equipment (IIP2010), Vol.10, No.7, pp. 82-85, 2010.
-  A. Nishimura, “The Concept and Technique of a Soundscape Design,” Bulletin of Okinawa National College of Technology, No.2, pp. 127-130, 2008.