Algorithm for Estimation of Thyroid Gland Size in Ultrasonography Images for Extracting Abnormal Thyroid in Medical Practice
Yutaka Hatakeyama, Hiromi Kataoka, Noriaki Nakajima,
Teruaki Watabe, and Yoshiyasu Okuhara
Center of Medical Information Science, Kochi University, Oko-cho Kohasu, Nankoku-shi, Kochi 783-8505, Japan
Measurement algorithm for the size of the thyroid gland in ultrasonography (US) images has been proposed on the basis of the position of the neighboring regions in order to objectively evaluate target organs for medical screening and secondary use. The measurement algorithm extracts the operator’s notion about the setting information on the basis of a drawn mark in the US images for decreasing computational costs. The measurement experiments for real US images performed in Kochi Medical School Hospital showed that the proposed algorithm detects the neighboring regions for the all target US images and that the enlarged thyroid glands evaluated by the proposed algorithm have relation with other blood test results. The proposed algorithmcan assist the evaluation of US screening and medical data analysis on the basis of the quantitative value of the US images.
Teruaki Watabe, and Yoshiyasu Okuhara, “Algorithm for Estimation of Thyroid Gland Size in Ultrasonography Images for Extracting Abnormal Thyroid in Medical Practice,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.16, No.1, pp. 87-93, 2012.
-  B. J. Vazquez and M. L. Richards, “Imaging of the thyroid and parathyroid glands,” Surg. Clin. North Am. Vol.91, No.1, pp. 15-32, 2011.
-  A. Gursoy, C. Anil, A. D. Unal, A. N. Demirer, N. B. Tutuncu, and M. F. Erdogan, “Clinical and epidemiological characteristics of thyroid hemiagenesis: ultrasound screening in patients with thyroid disease and normal population,” Endocrine. Vol.33, No.3, pp. 338-341, 2008.
-  J. T. Adler, H. Chen, S. Schaefer, and R. S. Sippel, “Does routine use of ultrasound result in additional thyroid procedures in patients with primary hyperparathyroidism?,” J. Am. Coll. Surg. Vol.211, No.4, pp. 536-539, 2010.
-  B. Zhang, Y. X. Jiang, J. B. Liu, M. Yang, Q. Dai, QL. Zhu, and P. Gao, “Utility of contrast-enhanced ultrasound for evaluation of thyroid nodules,” Thyroid. Vol.20, No.1, pp. 51-57, 2010.
-  C. Y. Chang, Y. F. Lei, C. H. Tseng, and S. R. Shih, “Thyroid segmentation and volume estimation in ultrasound images,” IEEE Trans. Biomed Eng., Vol.57, No.6, pp. 1348-1357, 2010.
-  A. Yu and L. Lovstakken, “Eigen-based clutter filter design for ultrasound color flow imaging: a review,” IEEE Trans. Ultrason. Ferroelectr. Freq. Control. Vol.57, No.5, pp. 1096-1111, 2010.
-  E. Eray, F. Sari, S. Ozdem, and R. Sari, “Relationship between thyroid volume and iodine, leptin, and adiponectin in obese women before and after weight loss,” Med. Princ. Pract. Vol.20, No.1, pp. 43-46, 2011.
-  S. Henjum, T. A. Strand, L. E. Torheim, A. Oshaug, and C. L. Parr, “Data quality and practical challenges of thyroid volume assessment by ultrasound under field conditions – observer errors may affect prevalence estimates of goiter,” Nutr. J. Vol.14, p. 66, 2010.
-  Y. Hatakeyama, H. Kataoka, N. Nakajima, T. Watabe, and Y. Okuhara, “A Classification Algorithm of Abdominal Ultrasound Images in Medical Practice for Secondary Uses,” J. Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.14, No.2, pp. 128-134, 2010.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.