An Improvement of Fuzzy Association Rules Mining Algorithm Based on Redundancy of Rules
Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Osaka Electro-Communication University, 18-8 Hatsu-cho, Neyagawa, Osaka 572-8530, Japan
In data mining approach, quantitative attributes should be appropriately dealt with as well as Boolean attributes. This paper presents an essential improvement for extracting fuzzy association rules from a database. The objective of this paper is to improve the computational time of mining and to prune extracted redundant rules simultaneously for an actual data mining application. In this paper, we define the redundancy of fuzzy association rules as a new concept for mining and prove essential theorems concerning the redundancy of fuzzy association rules. Then, we propose a basic algorithm based on the Apriori algorithm for rule extraction utilizing the redundancy of the extracted rules. The essential performance of the algorithmis evaluated through numerical experiments using benchmark data. Fromthe results, themethod is found to be promising in terms of computational time and redundant-rule pruning.
-  T. Watanabe, A. Kitamura, K. Higuchi, and H. Ikeda, “Intelligent Manufacturing Techniques for Quality and Process Design of Steel Plate,” 2003 IEEE Int. Conf. on Emerging Technologies and Factory Automation Proc., Vol.2, pp. 596-601, 2003.
-  R. Srikant and R. Agrawal, “Mining Generalized Association Rules,” Proc. of the 21st VLDB Conf., pp. 407-419, 1995.
-  R. Srikant and R. Agrawal, “Mining Quantitative Association Rules in Large Relational Tables,” Proc. of the ACM Conf. on Management of the Data, pp. 1-12, 1996.
-  S. Shankar and T. Purusothaman, “Utility Sentient Frequent Itemset Mining and Association Rule Mining: A Literature Survey and Comparative Study,” Int. J. of Soft Computing Applications, Issue 4, pp. 81-95, 2009.
-  G. Chen and Q. Wei, “Fuzzy Association Rules and the Extended Mining Algorithms,” Information Sciences, Vol.147, pp. 201-228, 2002.
-  H. Ishibuchi and T. Yamamoto, “Fuzzy Rule Selection by DataMining Criteria and Genetic Algorithms,” Proc. of Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conf., pp. 399-406, 2002.
-  Y. Hu, R. Chen, and G. Tzeng, “Discovering Fuzzy Association Rules Using Fuzzy Partition Methods,” Knowledge-Based Systems, Vol.16, pp. 137-147, 2003.
-  T. Watanabe and N. Nakayama, “Fuzzy Rule Extraction Based on theMining Generalized Association Rules,” Proc. of the 2003 IEEE Int. Conf. on Syst., Man, and Cybern., pp. 2690-2695, 2003.
-  M. Delgado, N. Marin, D. Sanchez, and M.-A. Vila, “Fuzzy Association Rules: General Model and Applications,” IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.11, No.2, pp. 214-225, 2003.
-  M. Delgado, N. Marin, M. J. Martin-Bautista, D. Sanchez, and M.-A. Vila, “Mining Fuzzy Association Rules: An Overview,” Studies in Fuzziness and Soft Computing, Springer, Vol.164/2005, pp. 351-373, 2006.
-  H. Verlinde, M. De Cock, and R. Boute, “Fuzzy Versus Quantitative Association Rules: A Fair Data-Driven Comparison,” IEEE Trans. on System, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B, Vol.36, No.3, pp. 679-684, 2006.
-  E. Hullermeier and Y. Yi, “In Defense of Fuzzy Association Analysis,” IEEE Trans. on System, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B, Vol.37, No.4, pp. 1039-1043, 2007.
-  A. Mangalampalli and V. Pudi, “Fuzzy Association Rule Mining Algorithm for Fast and Efficient Performance on Very Large Datasets,” Proc. of the 2009 IEEE Int. Conf. on Fuzzy Systems, pp. 1163-1168, 2009.
-  Y. C. Lee, T. P. Hong, and T. C. Wang, “Mining Fuzzy Multiplelevel Association Rules under Multiple Minimum Supports,” Proc. of the 2006 IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, pp. 4112-4117, 2006.
-  Y. Xu, Y. Li, and G. Shaw, “Concise Representations for Approximate Association Rules,” Proc. of the 2008 IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, pp. 94-101, 2008.
-  T. Watanabe, “Mining Fuzzy Association Rules of Specified Output Field,” Proc. of the 2004 IEEE Int. Conf. on Syst., Man, and Cybern., pp. 5754-5759, 2004.
-  UCI Machine Learning Repository:
-  R.Agrawal, J. Gehrke, D. Gunopulos, and P. Raghavan, “Automatic Subspace Clustering of High Dimensional Data for Data Mining Applications,” Proc. ACM SIGMOD, Paper AR-297, pp. 1-18, 1998.
-  M. L. Yiu and N. Mamoulis, “Iterative Projected Clustering by Subspace Mining,” IEEE Trans. on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol.17, Issue 2, pp. 176-189, 2005.
-  Y.-H. Chu, Y.-J. Chen, D.-N. Yang, and M.-S. Chen, “Reducing Redundancy in Subspace Clustering,” IEEE Trans. on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol.21, Issue 10, pp. 1432-1446. 2009.
-  T. Watanabe and H. Takahashi, “A Quantitative Association Rule Mining Algorithm Based on Clustering Algorithm,” Proc. of the 2006 IEEE Int. Conf. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, pp. 2652-2657, 2006.
-  http://euromise.vse.cz/challenge2004
-  http://www.stat.ucla.edu/data/fpp
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.