Development of an Intelligent Simulator with SLAM Functions for Visual Autonomous Landing on Small Celestial Bodies
Cedric Cocaud* and Takashi Kubota**
*Department of Electrical Engineering, University of Tokyo, ISAS campus 3-1-1, Yoshinodai, Chuo-ku, Sagamihara, Kanagawa 252-5210, Japan
**Institute of Space and Astronautical Science (JAXA/ISAS), ISAS campus 3-1-1, Yoshinodai, Chuo-ku, Sagamihara, Kanagawa 252-5210, Japan
-  J. S. Lewis, “Mining the Sky: Untold Riches from the Asteroids, Comets, and Planets,” Perseus Publishing, 1997.
-  C. Cocaud, “Autonomous Tasks Allocation and Path Generation of UAV’s,” Dept. of Mech. Eng., Univ. of Ottawa, 2006.
-  A. Ansar and Y. Cheng, “An Analysis of Spacecraft Localization from Descent Image Data for Pinpoint Landing on Mars and Other Cratered Bodies,” Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing, Vol.71, No.10, pp. 1197-1204, 2005.
-  T. Misu, K. Hashimoto, and K. Ninomiya, “Optical Guidance for Autonomous Landing of Spacecraft,” IEEE Trans. Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol.35, No.2, pp. 459-473, 1999.
-  M. Maruya, H. Ohyama, M. Uo, N. Muranaka, H. Morita, T. Kubota, T. Hashimotoa, J. Saito, and J. Kawaguchi, “Navigation Shape and Surface Topography Model of Itokawa,” AIAA/AAS Astrodynamics Specialist Conf. and Exhibit, Vol.8, pp. 21-24, 2006.
-  M. McCrum, S. Parkes, I. Martin, and M. Dunstan, “Mars Visual Simulation for ExoMars Navigation Algorithm Validation,” Proc. of i-SAIRAS, pp. 283-290, 2010.
-  S.Williams, S. Remy, and A.M. Howard, “3D Simulations for Testing and Validating Robotic-Driven Applications for Exploring Lunar Poles,” AIAA Infotech at Aerospace conf., pp. 1-9, 2010.
-  J. Artieda, J. M. Sebastian, P. Campoy, J. F. Correra, I. F. Mondragón, C. Martínez, and M. Olivares, “Visual 3-D SLAM from UAVs,” J. Intel. Robot. Syst., Vol.55, pp. 299-321, 2009.
-  R.Munguia and A. Grau, “Monocular SLAMfor Visual Odometry,” Proc. of IEEE Int. Symp. on Intelligent Signal Processing, pp. 1-6, 2007.
-  M. Montemerlo, “FastSLAM: A Factored Solution to the Simultaneous Localization and Mapping Problem With Unknown Data Association,” Ph.D. Thesis, Carnegie Mellon University, 2003.
-  G. Casella and C. P. Robert, “Rao-Blackwellisation of sampling schemes,” Biometrika, Vol.83, No.1, pp. 81-94, 1996.
-  A. Doucet, N. de Freitas, K. Murphy, and S. Russell, “Raoblackwellised particle filtering for dynamic bayesian networks,” Proc. of 16th Uncertainty in AI conf., pp. 176-183, 2000.
-  K. Murphy, “Bayesian map learning in dynamic enviro-nments,” Neural Info. Proc. Sys., pp. 1015-1021, 1999.
-  R. Hartley and A. Zisserman, “Multiple View Geometry in Computer Vision Second Edition,” Cambridge University Press, 2nd Edition, 2003.
-  T. K. Marks, A. Howard, M. Bajracharya, G. W. Cottrell, and L. H. Matthies, “Gamma-SLAM: Visual SLAM in Unstructured Environments Using Variance Grid Maps,” J. of Field Robotics, Vol.26, No.1, pp. 26-51, 2009.
-  N. Fairfield, G. A. Kantor, and D. Wettergreen, “Real-Time SLAM with Octree Evidence Grids for Exploration in Underwater Tunnels,” J. of Field Robotics, Vol.24, No.1/2, pp. 3-21, 2007.
-  K. Konolige and M. Agrawal, “FrameSLAM: From Bundle Adjustment to Real-Time Visual Mapping,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.24, No.5, pp. 1066-1077, 2008.
-  A. J. Davison, “Real-Time Simultaneous Localisation and Mapping with a Single Camera,” Proc. of the 9th ICCV, pp. 1-8, 2003.
-  S. Se, D. Lowe, and J. Little, “Mobile Robot Localization and Mapping with Uncertainty using Scale-Invariant Visual Landmarks,” Int. J. of Robotics Research, Vol.21, pp. 735-758, 2002.
-  A. I. Mourikis, N. Trawny, S. I. Roumeliotis, A. E. Johnson, A. Ansar, and L. Matthies, “Vision-Aided Inertial Navigation for Spacecraft Entry, Descent, and Landing,” IEEE Trans. on Robotics, Vol.25, No.2, pp. 264-280, 2009.
-  T. Kubota, T. Hashimotoa, S. Sawaib, J. Kawaguchib, K. Ninomiya, M. Uoc, and K. Babac, “An autonomous navigation and guidance system for MUSES-C asteroid landing,” Acta Astronautica, Vol.52, pp. 125-131, 2003.
-  H. Morita, K. Shirakawa, T. Hashimoto, T. Kubota, and J. Kawaguchi, “Hayabusa Descent Navigation based on Accurate Landmark Tracking Scheme,” The J. of Space Technology and Science, 2006 spring, Vol.22, No.1, pp. 21-31, 2007.
-  M. Uo, K. Shirakawa, T. Hashimoto, T. Kubota, and J. Kawaguchi, “Hayabusa Touching-Down to Itokawa – Autonomous Guidance and Navigation,” The J. of Space Technology and Science, 2006 spring, Vol.22, No.1, pp. 32-41, 2007.
-  C. Cocaud and T. Kubota, “Probabilistic Motion Estimation for Near Real-Time Navigation and Landing on Small Celestial Bodies,” Proc. of 22nd Int. Symp. on Space Flight Dynamics, pp. 1-13, 2011.
-  H. Bay, A. Ess, T. Tuytelaars, and L. V. Gool, “SURF: Speeded Up Robust Features,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding (CVIU), Vol.110, No.3, pp. 346-359, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.