Decomposition of Limb Movement Based on Muscular Coordination During Human Running
Taiki Iimura, Keita Inoue, Hang T. T. Pham,
Hiroaki Hirai, and Fumio Miyazaki
Graduate School of Engineering Science, Osaka University, 1-3 Machikaneyama-cho, Toyonaka, Osaka 560-8531
The study of decomposing movement into units of motor function is evolving in neuroscience. Meanwhile, in robotics, there is a problem with redundant Degrees Of Freedom (DOF) in the motor control of humanlike robots. We attempt to achieve fewer-DOF control of a human-like musculoskeletal robot by using our knowledge of the units of motor function. In this paper, we introduce “the agonist-antagonistmuscle pairs (A-A) ratio” and “A-A activity,” which are defined by using ElectroMyoGraphic (EMG) data and which describe the coordination between the agonist and antagonist muscles. Human running is decomposed into two units of motor function from the point of view of muscle coordination using Principal Component Analysis (PCA) of these biological signals. The kinematic meanings of the extracted patterns of muscle coordination are visualized by human-like musculoskeletal leg robot.
Hiroaki Hirai, and Fumio Miyazaki, “Decomposition of Limb Movement Based on Muscular Coordination During Human Running,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.15, No.8, pp. 980-987, 2011.
-  N. Bernstein, “The coordination and regulation of movements,” Oxford, Pergamon, 1967.
-  G. Cappellini, Y. P. Ivanenko, R. E. Poppele, and F. Lacquaniti, “Motor Patterns in HumanWalking and Running,” J. Neurophysiol., Vol.95, No.6, pp. 3426-3437, 2006.
-  Y. P. Ivanenko, R. E. Poppele, and F. Lacquaniti, “Five basic muscle activation patterns account for muscle activity during human locomotion,” J. Physiol., Vol.556 (Pt.1), pp. 267-282, 2004.
-  Y. P. Ivanenko, R. E. Poppele, and F. Lacquaniti, “Motor Control Programs and Walking,” Neuroscientist, Vol.12, No.4, pp. 339-348, 2006.
-  Y. P. Ivanenko, G. Cappellini, N. Dominici, R. E. Poppele, and F. Lacquaniti, “Modular Control of Limb Movements during Human Locomotion,” J. Neurosci., Vol.27, No.41, pp. 11149-11161, 2007.
-  H. Hirai, K. Matsui, T. Iimura, K. Mitsumori, and F. Miyazaki, “Modular Control of Limb Kinematics During Human Walking,” Proc. of 2010 IEEE Int. Conf. Biomedical Robotics and Biomechatoronics (BioRob2010), pp. 716-721, 2010.
-  D. A. Neumann, “Kinesiology of the Musculoskeletal System,” Mosby, 2002.
-  E. Criswell, “Cram’s Introduction to Surface Electromyography Second Edition,” Jones & Bartlett Pub., 2008.
-  V. M. Zatsiorsky, “Kinetics of human motion,” Human Kinetics, 1997.
-  Human body properties database,
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.