Development of an Automatic Landmine Detection and Marking System for the Demining Robot Gryphon
Alex M. Kaneko and Edwardo F. Fukushima
Tokyo Institute of Technology, 2-12-1 Ookayama, Meguro-ku, Tokyo 152-8550, Japan
Mechanical systems or robots are designed to support human operators during complex and dangerous tasks such as demining operations. Even though the robot Gryphon was created to automate these operations, some of its tasks still rely greatly on the human operator, who has few or no assisting tools to perform efficient decisions. During the landmine detection and marking task in special, the operator is totally responsible for analyzing the scanned data and pointing the potential targets, which makes the system performance unstable and vulnerable to human factors. This article proposes an automatic method for finding potential targets, which the operator has the simple role of accepting or not the decisions taken by the automatic method. Experimental results showed that time duration, POD and FAR were greatly improved compared to the former methods.
-  M. Hewish and R. Pengelley, “Treading a Fine Line: Mine Detection and Clearance,” Jane’s Int. Defense Review, Vol.30, No.11, pp. 30-47, 1997.
-  N. Pavkovic, J. Ishikawa, K. Furuta, K. Takahashi, M. Gaal, and D. Guelle, “Test and Evaluation of Japanese GPR-EMI Dual Sensor Systems at Benkovac Test Site in Croatia,” HCRCTRO TECH GPR 08-001, March, 2008.
-  S. Hirose and K. Kato, “Development of Quadruped Walking Robot With the Mission of Mine Detection and Removal,” Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Robot. and Automat., Leuven, Belgium, pp. 1713-1718, 1998.
-  E. F. Fukushima, M. Freese, T. Matsuzawa, T. Aibara, and S. Hirose, “Humanitarian Demining Robot Gryphon: Current Status and an Objective Evaluation,” Int. J. on Smart Sensing and Intelligent Systems, Vol.1, No.3, September 2008.
-  Minelab Electronics, “F3 Metal Mine Detector,” Instructors Notes and Syllabus, Issue 1.3, March, 2006.
-  D. Guelle, A. Smith, A. Lewis, and T. Bloodworth, “Metal Detector Handbook for Humanitarian Demining,” 2003.
-  K. C. Ho, L.M. Collins, L. G. Huettel, P. D. Gader, “Discrimination Mode Processing for EMI and GPR Sensors for Hand-Held Land Mine Detection,” IEEE Trans. on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol.42, No.1, pp. 249-263, 2004.
-  O. Astrachan, “Bubble Sort: An Archaeological Algorithmic Analysis,” 2003.
-  M. Gaal, “Trial Design for Testing and Evaluation in Humanitarian Mine Clearance”, Ph.D. thesis, Brandenburg Technical University Cottbus, Germany, 2007.
Available at http://www.itep.ws/pdf/PhD_Gaal.pdf