Content-Based Image Retrieval via Combination of Similarity Measures
Kazushi Okamoto*, Fangyan Dong*, Shinichi Yoshida**,
and Kaoru Hirota*
*Dept. of Computational Intelligence and Systems Science, Interdisciplinary Graduate School of Science and Engineering, Tokyo Institute of Technology, G3-49, 4259 Nagatsuta, Midori-ku, Yokohama 226-8502, Japan
**School of Information, Kochi University of Technology, 185 Tosayamada-cho-Miyanokuchi, Kochi 782-8502, Japan
-  C. Carson, S. Belongie, H. Greenspan, and J. Malik, “Blobworld: image segmentation using expectation-maximization and its application to image querying,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.24, No.8, pp. 1026-1038, 2002.
-  R. d. S. Torres, A. X. Falcão, M. A. Gonçalves, J. P. Papa, B. Zhang, W. Fan, and E. A. Fox, “A genetic programming framework for content-based image retrieval,” Pattern Recognition, Vol.42, No.2, pp. 283-292, 2009.
-  M. Flickner, H. Sawhney, W. Niblack, J. Ashley, Q. Huang, B. Dom, M. Gorkani, J. Hafner, D. Lee, D. Petkovic, D. Steele, and P. Yanker, “Query by image and video content: the QBIC system,” Computer, Vol.28, No.9, pp. 23-32, 1995.
-  A. Pentland, R. W. Picard, and S. Sclaroff, “Photobook: contentbased manipulation of image databases,” Int. J. of Computer Vision, Vol.18, No.3, pp. 233-254, 1996.
-  Z. Stejić, Y. Takama, and K. Hirota, “Relevance feedback-based image retrieval interface incorporating region and feature saliency patterns as visualizable image similarity criteria,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.50, No.5, pp. 839-852, 2003.
-  Z. Stejić, Y. Takama, and K. Hirota, “Mathematical aggregation operators in image retrieval: effect on retrieval performance and role in relevance feedback,” Signal Processing, Vol.85, No.2, pp. 297-324, 2005.
-  J. Z. Wang, J. Li, and G. Wiederhold, “SIMPLIcity: semanticssensitive integrated matching for picture libraries,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.23, No.9, pp. 947-963, 2001.
-  D. Geman, S. Geman, C. Graffigne, and P. Dong, “Boundary detection by constrained optimization,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.12, No.7, pp. 609-628, 1990.
-  P. Howarth and S. Rüger, “Fractional distance measures for contentbased image retrieval,” In The 27th European Conf. on IR Research, LNCS 3408, pp. 447-456, 2005.
-  T. Kailath, “The divergence and Bhattacharyya distance measures in signal selection,” IEEE Trans. on Communication Technology, com-15, Vol.1, pp. 52-60, 1967.
-  M. Kokare, B. N. Chatterji, and P. K. Biswas, “Comparison of similarity metrics for texture image retrieval,” In Conf. on Convergent Technologies for Asia-Pacific Region, Vol.2, pp. 571-575, 2003.
-  J. Puzicha, T. Hofmann, and J. M. Buhmann, “Non-parametric similarity measures for unsupervised texture segmentation and image retrieval,” In IEEE Computer Society Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR’97), pp. 267-272, 1997.
-  M. J. Swain and D. H. Ballard, “Color indexing,” Int. J. of Computer Vision, Vol.7, No.1, pp. 11-32, 1991.
-  D. Zhang and G. Lu, “Evaluation of similarity measurement for image retrieval,” In The 2003 Int. Conf. on Neural Networks and Signal Processing, Vol.2, pp. 928-931, 2003.
-  H. Liu, D. Song, S. Rüger, R. Hu, and V. Uren, “Comparing dissimilarity measures for content-based image retrieval,” In The 4th Asian Information Retrieval Symposium on Information Retrieval Technology, LNCS 4993, pp. 44-50, 2008.
-  K. Okamoto, F. Dong, S. Yoshida, and K. Hirota, “Content-based image retrieval via ranking of similarity measures,” In The 2010 Int. Symposium on Intelligent Systems, 2010.
-  G. Csurka, C. R. Dance, L. Fan, J. Willamowski, and C. Bray, “Visual categorization with bags of keypoints,” In Workshop on Statistical Learning in Computer Vision (ECCV 2004), pp. 1-22, 2004.
-  G. Ding, J. Wang, and K. Qin, “A visual word weighting scheme based on emerging itemsets for video annotation,” Information Processing Letters, Vol.110, No.16, pp. 692-696, 2010.
-  Y. G. Jiang and C. W. Ngo, “Visual word proximity and linguistics for semantic video indexing and near-duplicate retrieval,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Vol.113, No.3, pp. 405-414, 2009.
-  J. Sivic and A. Zisserman, “Video Google: A text retrieval approach to object matching in videos,” In The 9th IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Vision, Vol.2, pp. 1470-1477, 2003.
-  G. J. Burghouts and J. M. Geusebroek, “Performance evaluation of local colour invariants,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Vol.113, No.1, pp. 48-62, 2009.
-  D. Arthur and S. Vassilvitskii, “k-means++: The advantages of careful seeding,” In Annual ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms, pp. 1027-1035, 2007.
-  W. Zhang, T. Yoshida, and X. Tang, “A comparative study of TF*IDF, LSI and multi-words for text classification,” Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.38, No.3, pp. 2758-2765, 2011.
-  K. Järvelin and J. Kekäläinen, “Cumulated gain-based evaluation of IR techniques,” ACM Trans. on Information Systems, Vol.20, No.4, pp. 422-446, 2002.
-  A. Moffat and J. Zobel, “Rank-biased precision for measurement of retrieval effectiveness,” ACM Trans. on Information Systems, Vol.27, No.1, pp. 1-27, 2008.
-  E. M. Voorhees and D. M. Tice, “The TREC-8 question answering track evaluation,” In Text Retrieval Conf. TREC-8, pp. 83-105, 1999.
-  F. Wilcoxon, “Individual comparisons by ranking methods,” Biometrics Bulletin, Vol.1, No.6, pp. 80-83, 1945.
-  M. Mizumoto, “Pictorial representations of fuzzy connectives, Part I: cases of t-norms, t-conorms and averaging operators,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Vol.31, No.2, pp. 217-242, 1989.
-  K. M. Donald and A. F. Smeaton, “A comparison of score, rank and probability-based fusion methods for video shot retrieval,” In The 4th Int. Conf. on Image and Video Retrieval, LNCS 3568, pp. 61-70, 2010.
-  C. J. v. Rijsbergen, “Information retrieval,” Department of Computing Science University of Glasgow, 1979.
-  T. Sakai and N. Kando, “On information retrieval metrics designed for evaluation with incomplete relevance assessments,” Information Retrieval, Vol.11, No.5, pp. 447-470, 2008.
-  Y. Rubner, C. Tomasi, and L. J. Guibas, “The Earth mover’s distance as a metric for image retrieval,” Int. J. of Computer Vision, Vol.40, No.2, pp. 99-121, 2000.
-  D. G. Lowe, “Distinctive image features from scale-invariant keypoints,” Int. J. of Computer Vision, Vol.60, No.2, pp. 91-110, 2004.
-  H. Bay, A. Ess, T. Tuytelaars, and L. V. Gool, “SURF: speeded up robust features,” Computer Vision and Image Understanding, Vol.110, No.3, pp. 346-359, 2008.
-  J. Puzicha, J. M. Buhmann, Y. Rubner, and C. Tomasi, “Empirical evaluation of dissimilarity measures for color and texture,” In The 7th IEEE Int. Conf. on Computer Vision, Vol.2, pp. 1165-1172, 1999.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.