Emotion Recognition Based on ECG Signals for Service Robots in the Intelligent Space During Daily Life
Kanlaya Rattanyu* and Makoto Mizukawa**
*Graduate School of Functional Control Systems Engineering, Shibaura Institute of Technology, 3-7-5 Toyosu, Koto-ku, Tokyo 135-8548, Japan
**Department of Electrical Engineering, Shibaura Institute of Technology, 3-7-5 Toyosu, Koto-ku, Tokyo 135-8548, Japan
-  R. B. Adler and R. Rodman, “Understanding Human Communication,” New York: Oxford University Press, Inc., 2006.
-  P. Jackson and I. Moulinier, “Natural Language Processing for Online Application,” John Benjamins Publishing Co., Amsterdam, 2002.
-  P. Ekman, R. W. Levenson, and W. V. Friesen, “Autonomic Nervous System Activity Distinguishes Among Emotions,” Science, New Series, Vol.221, No.4616, pp. 1208-1220, 1983.
-  C.-H. Yang, J.-L. Wang, K.-L. Lin, Y.-H. Kuo, and K.-S. Cheng, “Negative Emotion Detection Using the Heart Rate Recovery and Time for Twelve-Beats Heart Rate Decay After Exercise Stress Test,” In Int. Joint Conf. on Neural Networks (IJCNN), pp. 1-6. IEEE, 2010.
-  J. Thayer and G. Siegle, “Neurovisceral integration in cardiac and emotional regulation,” Engineering in Medicine and Biology Magazine, IEEE, Vol.21, No.4, pp. 24-29, 2002.
-  W. Wu and J. Lee, “Improvement of HRV Methodology for Positive/Negative Emotion Assessment,” In Collaborative Computing: Networking, Application and Worksharing 2009, CollaborateCom 2009, 5th Int. Conf. on, pp. 1-6. IEEE, 2009.
-  C. Lee and S. Yoo, “ECG-based Biofeedback Chair for Selfemotion Management at Home,” In Int. Conf. on Consumer Electronics 2008 (ICCE 2008), Digest of Technical Papers, pp. 1-2, IEEE, 2008.
-  J. D. Rodriguez and L. Santos, “Comparative Analysis Using the 80-Lead Body Surface Map and 12-Lead ECGWith Exercise Stress Echocardiograms,” J. of Diagnostic Medical Sonography, Vol.22, No.5, pp. 308-316, 2006.
-  S. R. Vrana, B. N. Cuthbert, and P. J. Lang, “Fear Imagery and text processing,” The Int. J. of the Society for Psychophysiological Research (Psychophysiology), Vol.23, No.3, pp. 247-253, 1986.
-  B. L. Fredrickson, R. A. Mancuso, C. Branigan, and M. M. Tugade, “The Undoing Effect of Positive Emotion,” Motivation and Emotion, Vol.24, No.4, pp. 237-258, 2000.
-  I. C. Christie, “Multivariate Discrimination of Emotion-Specific Autonomic Nervous System Activity,” Master’s thesis, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 2002.
-  G. Chanel, K. Ansari-Asl, and T. Pun, “Using Neural Network to Recognize Human Emotions from Heart Rate Variability and Skin Resistance,” In Int. Conf. of the IEEE-Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (IEEE-EMBS), pp. 5523-5525, IEEE, 2005.
-  J. Kim and E. Andre, “Emotion Recognition Based on Physiological Changes in Music Listening,” IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence, Vol.30, No.12, pp. 2067-2083, 2008.
-  P. Montoya, J. J. Campos, and R. Schandry, “See red? Turn pale? Unveiling Emotions Cardiovascular and Hemodynamic Change,” Spanish J. of Psychology, Vol.8, No.001, pp. 79-85, 2005.
-  R. Cowie, E. Douglas-Cowie, N. Tsapatsoulis, G. Votsis, S. Kollias, W. Fellenz, and J. G. Taylor, “Emotion Recognition in Human-Computer Interaction,” IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, pp. 32-80, January 2001.
-  C. D. Katsis, N. Katertsidis, G. Ganiatsas, and D. I. Fotiadis, “Toward Emotion Recognition in Car-Racing Drivers: A Biosignal Processing Approach,” IEEE Trans. on System, Man, and Cybernetics-Part A: Systems and Humans, Vol.38, No.3, pp. 502-512, 2008.
-  R. W. Picard, “Toward Computers that Recognize and Respond to User Emotion,” IBM System Journal, Vol.39, No.3-4, pp. 705-719, 2000.
-  M. B. Ammar, M. Neji, and A. M. Alimi, “The Integration of an Emotional System in the Intelligent System,” In Computer Systems and Applications 2005, The 3rd ACS/IEEE Int. Conf. on. IEEE, 2005.
-  B. Takacs, “Special Education and Rehabilitation: Teaching and Healing with Interactive Graphics,” Computer Graphics and Applications, IEEE, Vol.25, No.5, pp. 40-48, 2005.
-  S. Cherry, “Anger Management: The next time you raise your voice to a phone-in service, you may well be heard by a computer,” IEEE Spectrum, p. 16, April 2005.
-  L. B. Theng and H. K. Shi, “A Mobile Real Time Interactive Communication Assistant for Cerebral Palsy,” Int. J. of Computing and ICT Research, Vol.3, No.2, pp. 31-40, 2009.
-  C. M. Lee and S. S. Narayanan, “Toward Detecting Emotions in Spoken Dialogs,” IEEE Trans. on Audio, Speech, and Audio Processing, Vol.13, No.2, p. 293, 2005.
-  N. D. Cook, T. X. Fujisawa, and K. Takami, “Evaluation of the Affective Valence of Speech Using Pitch Substructure,” IEEE Trans. on Audio, Speech, and Language Processing, Vol.14, No.1, pp. 142-151, 2006.
-  M. Pantic and L. Rothkrantz, “Toward an Affect-Sensitive Multimodal Human-Computer Interaction,” Proc. of IEEE, Vol.91, No.9, pp. 1370-1390, 2003.
-  C. Busso et al., “Analysis of emotion recognition using facial expressions, speech and multimodal information,” In Proc. of the 6th Int. Conf. on Multimodal Interfaces (ICMI), pp. 205-211, ACM, 2004.
-  R. Cowie et al., “An intelligent system for facial emotion recognition,” In IEEE Int. Conf. on Multimedia and Expo 2005 (ICME 2005), p. 4. IEEE, 2005.
-  I. Kotsia and I. Pitas, “Facial Expression Recognition in Image Sequences Using Geometric Deformation Features and Support Vector Machines,” IEEE Trans. on Image Processing, Vol.16, No.1, p. 172, 2007.
-  C.-T. Tu and J.-J. Lien, “Automatic Location of Facial Feature Points and Synthesis of Facial Sketches Using Direct Combined Model,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Part B: Cybernetics, Vol.40, No.4, pp. 1158-1169, 2010.
-  E. L. Pritchett, M. C. Schulte, D. Schnell, S. R. Marcello, W. E. Wilkinson, R. L. Page, and S. J. Connolly, “Effects of azimilide on heart rate and ECG conduction intervals during sinus rhythm in patients with a history of atrial fibrillation,” J. of Clinical Pharmacology, Vol.42, pp. 388-394, 2002.
-  N. P. Utama, A. Takemoto, K. Nakamura, and Y. Koike, “Singletrial EEG data to classify type and intensity of facial emotion from P100 and N170,” In Int. Joint Conf. on Neural Networks (IJCNN), pp. 3156-3163. IEEE, 2009.
-  J. Malmivuo and R. Plonsey, “Bioelectromagnetism – Principles and Applications of Bioelectric and Biomagnetic Fields,” Oxford University Press, Inc., New York, 1995.
-  P. J. Lang, M. M. Bradley, and B. N. Cuthbert, “International affective picture system (IAPS): Affective ratings of pictures and instruction manual,” Technical Report A-8, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL, 2008.
-  A. J. Izenman, “Modern Multivariate Statistical Techniques: Regression, Classification, and Manifold Learning,” Springer Netherlands, 1st edition, 2008.
-  P. S. Addison, “Wavelet Transforms and the ECG: a review,” Physiological Measurement, Vol.26, pp. 155-199, 2005.
-  W. Kanlaya, L. Dung, and M. Mizukawa, “Virtual Object for Evaluating Adaptable K-Nearest Neighbor Method Solving Various Conditions of Object Recognition,” In ICROS-SICE Int. Joint Conf. 2009 (ICCAS-SICE 2009), pp. 4338-4342, IEEE, 2009.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.