Multi-Attribute Decision Making in Contractor Selection Under Hybrid Uncertainty
Arbaiy Nureize*,** and Junzo Watada*
*Graduate School of Information, Production and System, Waseda University, 2-7 Hibikino, Wakamatsu, Kitakyushu, Fukuoka 808-0135, Japan
**Faculty of Science Computer and Information Technology, University Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia, 86400 Batu Pahat, Johor, Malaysia
-  Construction Industry Development Board, “Construction Industry Master Plan Malaysia 2006-2015,” 2007.
-  E. Palaneeswaran and M. Kumaraswamy, “Recent advances and proposed improvements in contractor prequalification methodologies,” Building and Environment, Vol.36, No.1, pp. 73-87, 2001.
-  Z. Hatush and M. Skitmore, “Contractor selection using multicriteria utility theory: an additive model,” Building and Environment, Vol.33, No.2-3, pp. 105-115, 1998.
-  G. D. Holt, P. O. Olomolaiye, and F. C. Harris, “Factors influencing U.K. construction clients choice of contractor,” Building and Environment, Vol.29, No. 2, pp. 241-248, 1994.
-  G. D. Holt, “Which contract selection methodology,” Int. J. of Project Management, Vol.16, No.3, pp. 153-164, 1998.
-  Y. Li, S. Chen, and X. Nie, “Fuzzy Pattern Recognition Approach to Construction Contractor Selection Export,” Fuzzy Optimization and Decision Making, Vol.4, No.2, pp. 103-118, 2005.
-  M. M. Kumaraswamy and J. M. Matthews, “Improved subcontractor selection employing partnering principles,” ASCE J.
-  J. E. Diekmann, “Cost-Plus Contractor Selection: A Case Study,” J. of the Technical Councils of ASCE, Vol.107, No.1, pp. 13-25, 1981.
-  G. D. Holt, P. O. Olomolaiye, and F. C. Harris, “Applying Multi-Attribute Analysis to Contractor Selection Decision,” European J. of Purchasing and Supply Management, Vol.1, No.3, pp. 139-148, 1995.
-  D. Singh and R. L. K. Tiong, “A Fuzzy Decision Framework for Contractor Selection,” J. of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol.131, No.1, pp. 62-70, 2005.
-  V. U. Nguyen “Tender evaluation by fuzzy sets,” J. of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol.111, No.3, pp. 231-43, 1985.
-  J. S. Russell and M. J. Skibniewski, “Decision criteria in contractor prequalification,” J. of Management in Engineering, Vol.4, No.2, pp. 148-164, 1988.
-  E. K. Zavadskas, Z. Turskis, and J. Tamoaitiene, “Contractor selection of construction in a competitive environment,” J. of Business Economics and Management, Vol.9, No.3, pp. 181-187, 2008.
-  M. M. Kumaraswamy and D. H. T. Walker, “Multiple performance criteria for evaluating construction contractors,” Procurement Systems – A Guide to Best Practice in Construction, London: E & F N Spon, pp. 228-251, 1999.
-  K. C. Lam, S. T. Ng, T. S. Hu, M. Skitmore, and S. O. Cheung, “Decision support system for contractor prequalification – artificial neural network model,” Engineering, Construction and Architectural Management, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 251-266, 2000.
-  H. Li, L. Y. Shen, and P. E. D. Love, “ANN-based mark-up estimation system with self-explanatory capacities,” J. of Construction Engineering and Management, Vol.125, No.3, pp. 185-189, 1999.
-  C. H. Wong, “A contractor performance prediction model for the UK construction contractor: the study of logistic regression approach,” J. of Construction Engineering and Management, ASCE, Vol.130, No.5, pp. 691-698, 2004.
-  Y.-T. Tan, L. Shen, A. G. Khalid, and S.-C. Song, “An examination of the factors affecting contractors’ competition strategy: a Hong Kong study,” Int. J. of Project Organization and Management, Vol.1, No.1, pp. 4-23, 2008.
-  V. Albino and A. C. Garavelli, “A neural network application to subcontractor rating in construction firms,” Int. J. of Project Management, Vol.16, No.1, pp. 9-14, 1998.
-  M.-Y. Cheng, M.-H. Tsai, and Z.-W. Xiao, “Construction management process reengineering: Organizational human resource planning for multiple projects,” Automation in Construction, Vol.15, No.6, pp. 785-799, 2006.
-  M. Schieg, “Post-mortem analysis on the analysis and evaluation of risks in construction project management,” J. of Business Economics and Management, Vol.8, No.2, pp. 145-153, 2007.
-  H. Tanaka, I. Hayashi, and J. Watada, “Possibilistic linear regression for fuzzy data,” European J. of Operational Research, Vol.40, No.3, pp. 389-396, 1989.
-  J. Watada and H. Tanaka, “The perspective of possibility theory in decision making,” Post Conference Book, Multiple Criteria Decision Making – Toward Interactive Intelligent Decision Support Systems, VII-th Int. Conf. (Eds.), by Y. Sawaragi, K. Inoue, and H. Nakayama, Springer-Verlag, pp. 328-337, 1986.
-  J.Watada, “Possibilistic time-series analysis and its analysis of consumption,” In: D. Dubois, M. M. Yager (Eds.), Fuzzy Information Engineering, John Wiley & Sons, pp. 187-200, 1996.
-  A. Nureize and J. Watada, “A fuzzy regression approach to hierarchical evaluation model for oil palm grading,” Fuzzy Optimization Decision Making, Vol.9, No.1, pp. 105-122, 2010.
-  S. Nahmias, “Fuzzy variables,” Fuzzy Sets and Systems, Vol.1, No.2, pp. 97-111, 1978.
-  B. Liu and Y.-K. Liu, “Expected value of fuzzy variable and fuzzy expected value models,” IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems Vol.10, No.4, pp. 445-450, 2002.
-  J. Watada, “Applications in business, multi-attribute decision making,” In: T. Terano, K. Asai, M. Sugeno (Eds.), Applied Fuzzy System. AP Professional, pp. 244-252, 1994.
-  J.Watada, S.Wang, andW. Pedrycz, “Building confidence-intervalbased fuzzy random regression model,” IEEE Trans. on Fuzzy Systems, Vol.11, No.6, pp. 1273-1283, 2009.
-  J.Malczewski, “Propagation of errors in multicriteria location analysis: a case study. Multiple Criteria Decision Making,” Proc. of the Twelfth Int. Conf. Hagen (Germany): 1995. G. Fandel and T. Gal. Berlin: Springer-Verlag. pp. 154-165, 1997.
-  T. L. Saaty, “The analytic hierarchy process,” McGraw-Hill, New York, 1980.
-  R. L. Keeney and H. Raiffa, “Decisions with multi-objectives,” John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1976.
-  R. Yager, “On ordered weighted averaging aggregation operators in multi-criteria decision making,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol.18, No.1, pp. 183-190, 1988.
-  C.W. Chelsea and A. H. Hillary, “Resolvability for imprecise multiattribute alternative selection,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics-Part A: Systems and Humans, Vol.38, No.1, pp. 162-169, 2008.
-  O. Kulak and C. Kahraman, “Multi-attribute comparison of advanced manufacturing systems using fuzzy vs. crisp axiomatic design approach,” Int. J. of Production Economics, Vol.95, No.3, pp. 415-424, 2005.
-  J. Pan, Y. Teklu, and S. Rahman, “An interval-based MADM approach to the identification of candidate alternatives in strategic resource planning,” IEEE Trans. on Power Systems, Vol.15, No.4, pp. 1441-1446, 2000.
-  A. Tanja and J. B. Borka, “Application of multi-attribute decision making approach to learning management system evaluation,” J. of Computer, Vol.2, No.10, pp. 28-37, 2007.
-  A. L. Wilson, K. Ramamurthy, and C. N. Paul, “A multi-attribute measure for innovation adoption: the context of imaging technology,” IEEE Trans. on Engineering Management, Vol.46, No.3, pp. 311-321, 1999.
-  B. S. Ahn, “Multiattribute decision aid with extended ISMAUT,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man and Cybernetics, Part A, Vol.36, No.3, pp. 507-520, 2006.
-  K.-C. Hung, G. K. Yang, P. Chu, and W. T.-H. Jin, “An enhanced method and its application for fuzzy multi-criteria decision making based on vague sets,” Computer-Aided Design, Vol.40, No.4, pp. 447-454, 2008.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.