Agent-Based Simulation of Product Diffusion with Network Externality in a Heterogeneous Consumer Network
Nobutada Fujii*, Toshiya Kaihara*, and Takashi Eda**
*Graduate School of System Informatics, Kobe University
**Graduate School of Engineering, Kobe University, Rokkodai 1-1, Nada, Kobe 657-8501, Japan
In a product market with network externality, outperforming products are not always disseminated. Product markets are often modeled and examined by simulation to clarify product diffusion processes. In earlier work, where multiagent systems and complex networks were used to model the product market, consumer heterogeneity was not considered despite its influence on the product diffusion process. This paper introduces threshold models into multiagent-systembased simulation in complex networks to realize consumer heterogeneity. The feasibility of the proposed method is discussed using computer simulation results, and consumer heterogeneity and network structure affect product diffusion processes.
-  M. L. Katz and C. Shapiro, “Network externalities, competition, and compatibility,” American Economic Review, Vol.75, No.3, pp. 424-440, 1985.
-  T. Iba, H. Takenaka, and Y. Takefuji, “Reappearance of Video Cassette Format Competition Using Artificial Market Simulation,” Information Processing Society of Japan Trans. on Mathematical Modeling and its Applications, Vol.42, No.SIG 14 (TOM5), pp. 73-89, 2001. (in Japanese)
-  H. Kawamura and A. Ohuchi, “Evaluation of present strategies in multiagent product market model with network externality,” Trans. of the Operations Research Society of Japan, Vol.48, pp. 48-65, 2005.
-  T. Eda, N. Fujii, and T. Kaihara, “A Study on Product Diffusion with Externality Introducing Consumers’ Heterogeneity in Complex Networks,” Trans. of the Society of Instrument and Control Engineers, Vol.45, No.11, pp. 605-611, 2009.
-  M. Granovetter, “Threshold Models of Collective Behavior,” American J. of Sociology, Vol.83, No.6, pp. 1420-1443, 1978.
-  M. Newman, A. L. Barabasi, and D. J. Watts, “The Structure and Dyanamics of Networks,” Princeton University Press, 2006.
-  D. J. Watts and S. H. Strogatz, “Collective Dynamics of ‘Small-World’ Networks,” Nature, Vol.393, pp. 440-442, 1998.
-  A. L. Barabasi and R. Albert, “Emergence of Scaling in Random Networks,” Science, Vol.286, pp. 509-512, 1999.
-  K. Klemm and V. M. Eguiluz, “Highly Clustered Scale-free Networks,” Physical Review E, Vol.65, 036123, 2002.
-  K. Klemm and V. M. Eguiluz, “Growing Scale-free Networks with Small World Behavior,” Physical Review E, Vol.65, 057102, 2002.
-  E. M. Rogers, “Diffusion of Innovations,” Free Press 1982.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.