Using Planning and Case-Based Reasoning for Service Composition
Chiung-Hon Leon Lee*, Alan Liu**, and Huan-Hsian Huang**
*Department of Computer Science & Information Engineering, Nanhua University, Taiwan
**Department of Electrical Engineering, National Chung-Cheng University, Taiwan
Planning commonly applied to automating Web Service composition involves two problems – (i) overlooked user needs combined with services provided by the systems themselves and outside services providing a much more flexible service model. (ii) “Speeding up” and “facilitating” services by not recording information about service providers already having served users and about planning already processed. We propose merging internal and external services to meet user needs. Internal services include system functions designed to meet user needs. External services mean Web services provided by outside service providers. We plan to combine both types of services to create planning to meet user needs. We apply case-based reasoning to store planning and related information in a case base to make planning much faster when users have similar needs.
-  M. P. Singh and M. N. Huhns, “Service-Oriented Computing: Semantics, Processes, Agents,” John Wiley & Sons. Ltd., New York, 2005.
-  H. Wang, J. Z. Huang, Y. Qu, and J. Xie, “Web services: problem and future directions,” ELSEVIER J. Web Semantics, Vol.1, No.3, pp. 309-320, April 2004.
-  P. P. W. Chan and M. R. Lyu, “Dynamic Web Service Composition: A New Approach in Building Reliable Web Service,” In Proc. of The IEEE Int. Conf. on Advanced Information Networking and Applications, pp. 20-25, 2008.
-  K. Sycara et al., “Dynamic discovery and coordination of agentbased semantic Web services,” IEEE Internet Computing, Vol.8, No. 3, pp. 66-73, May-Jun 2004.
-  S. Y. Hwang et al., “On Composing a Reliable Composite Web Service: A Study of Dynamic Web Service Selection,” In Proc. of The IEEE Int. Conf. on Web Services, pp. 184-191, 2007.
-  D. Martin et al., “Bringing Semantics to Web Services: The OWLS Approach,” In proc. of the First Int. Workshop on Semantic Web Services and Web Process Composition, 2004.
-  A. Hibner and K. Zielinski, “Semantic-based Dynamic Service Composition and Adaptation,” In proc. of the IEEE Congress on Service, pp. 213-220, 2007.
-  http://www.daml.org/services/owl-s/
-  S. Russel and P. Norvig, “Artificial Intelligence: A Mordern Approach 2ed.,” Prentice Hall, London, 2003.
-  C. H. L. Lee and A. Liu “User intention satisfaction for agentbased semantic Web services systems,” Proc. of The 12th Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference (APSEC’05), Taipei, Taiwan, Dec. 2005.
-  J. M. G’omez et al., “Godo: Goal oriented discovery for semantic web services,” Discovery on the WWW Workshop (SDISCO’06), Beijin, China, 2006.
-  C. H. L. Lee and A. Liu, “A Goal-Driven Approach for Service Request Modeling,” Int. J. of Intelligent Systems, 2009.
-  I. Watson, “Applying Case-Based Reasoning: Techniques for Enterprise Systems,” Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, California, 1997.
-  E. Sirin, B. Parsia, D.Wu, J. Hendler, and, D. Nau, “HTN Planning forWeb Service Composition Using SHOP2,” J. of.Web Semantics, Vol.l, No.4, pp. 377-396, 2004.
-  M. Pistore, F. Barbon, P. Bertoli, D. Shaparau, and P. Traverso, “Planning and monitoring web service composition,” Proc. of Int. Conf. on Artificial Intelligence, ethodologies, Systems, and Applications (AIMSA), pp. 106-115, 2004.
-  C. H. L. Lee and A. Liu, “Model the query intention with goals,” Proc. of The First Int. Workshop on Ubiquitous Smart Worlds (USW2005) (Conjunction with AINA2005), Taipei, Taiwan, pp. 535-540, Mar. 2005,
-  M. N. Huhns and L. M. Stephens, “Personal Ontologies,” IEEE Internet Computer, pp. 85-87, 1999.
-  U. Kuter, E. Sirin, D. Nau, B. Parsia, and J. Hendler, “Information gathering during planning for web service composition,” Proc. of 3rd Int. Semantic Web Conf. (ISWC -2004), Hiroshima, Japan, November 2004.
-  M. Pistore and P. Traverso, “Planning as Model Checking for Extended Goals in Non-deterministic Domains,” Proc. of 7th. IJCAI’ 01. AAAI Press, August 2001.
-  P. Bertoli, A. Cimatti, M. Pistore, M. Roveri, and P. Traverso, “MBP: a Model Based Planner,” Proc. of the IJCAI’01 Workshop on Planning under Uncertainty and Incomplete Information, Seattle, pp. 93-97, August 2001.
-  B. Limthanmaphon and Y. Zhang, “Web Service Composition with Case-Based Reasoning,” Proc. of the Fourteenth Australasian database conf. on Database technologies 2003, pp.201-208, 2003.
-  H. Munoz-Avila et al., “SiN: Integrating Case-based Reasoning with Task Decomposition,” Proc. of Seventeenth Int. Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence, 2001.
-  C. H. L. Lee and A. Liu, “Service Quality Evaluation by Personal Ontology,” J. of Information Software and Engineering, Vol.25, No.5, 2009.
-  O. Ilghami and D. S. Nau, “A general approach to synthesize problem-specific planners,” Tech Report CS-TR-4597, UMIACSTR-20060, University of Maryland, 2003.
-  E. Sirin et al., OWL-S API, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 Internationa License.