Evolving Asset Portfolios by Genetic Relation Algorithm
Victor Parque, Shingo Mabu, and Kotaro Hirasawa
Graduate School of Information, Production and Systems, Waseda University, 2-7 Hibikino, Wakamatsu-ku, Kitakyushu, Fukuoka 803-0135, Japan
Global financial development have opened innumerable risks and opportunities for investments. A global view of the portfolio allocation through diversification brings advantages for the risk allocation in investments. In this paper, an asset allocation framework under the return, risk and liquidity considerations is proposed for short term investment using Genetic Relation Algorithm. Simulations using the stocks, bonds and currencies from relevant financial markets in USA, Europe and Asia show that the proposed framework is effective and robust. The efficacy of the proposed method is compared against the relevant constructs in finance and computational fields.
-  H. Markwoitz, “Portfolio Selection: Efficient Diversification of Investments,” New York, John Whiley and Sons, 1959.
-  F. Modigliani and M. Miller, “The Cost of Capital, Corporation Finance and the Theory of Investment,” American Economic Review, Vol.48, No.3, pp. 261-297, 1958.
-  W. Sharpe, “Capital Asset Prices: A Theory of Market Equilibrium Under Conditions of Risk,” J. of Finance, Vol.19, No.3, pp. 425-442, 1964.
-  F. Black and M. Scholes, “The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities,” J. of Political Economy, Vol.81, No.3, pp. 637-654, 1973.
-  S. A. Ross, “The Arbitrage Theory of Capital Asset Pricing,” J. of Economic Theory, Vol.13, No.3, pp. 341-360, 1976.
-  J. C. Cox, S. A. Ross, and M. Rubinstein, “Option Pricing: A Simplified Approach,” J. of Financial Economics, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 229-263, 1979.
-  K. A. Froot and J. Stein, “Risk Management, Capital Budgeting and Capital Structure Policy for Financial Institutions: An Integrated Approach,” J. of Financial Economics, Vol.47, No.1, pp. 55-82, 1998.
-  BIS. “Basel II: Revised International Capital Framework,” Banking for Int. Settlements,
-  A. Fernández and S. Gómez, “Portfolio Selection Using Neural Networks,” Computers & Operations Research, Vol.34, No.4, pp. 1177-1191, 2007.
-  P. Lipinski, “Evolutionary Strategies for Building Risk-Optimal Portfolios,” Studies in Computational Intelligence, Springer Berlin, Vol.100, pp. 53-65, 2008.
-  A. Ghandar, Z. Michalewicz, M. Schmidt, T. D. To, and R. Zurbrugg, “Computational Intelligence for Evolving Trading Rules,” IEEE Trans. on Evolutionary Computation, Vol.13, No.1, pp. 71-86, 2009.
-  P. Jckel, “Monte Carlo Methods in Finance,” Wiley, 2002.
-  R. Sullivan, “Taming Global Village Risk II: Understanding and Mitigating Bubbles,” J. of Portfolio Management, Vol.35, No.4, pp. 131-141, 2009.
-  J. M. Hill, “A Perspective on Liquidity Risk and Horizon Uncertainty,” The J. of Portfolio Management, Vol.35, No.4, pp. 60-68, 2009.
-  UN., “The Global Economic Crisis: Systemic Failures and Systemic Remedies,” The report of the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, New York, 2009.
-  S. Mabu, K. Hirasawa, and J. Hu, “A Graph-Based Evolutionary Algorithm: Genetic Network Programming and its Extension Using Reinforcement Learning,” Evolutionary Computation, MIT Press, Vol.15, No.3, pp. 369-398, 2007.
-  S.Mabu, Y. Izumi, K. Hirasawa, and J. Hu, “Trading Rules on Stock Markets using Genetic Network Programming with Candle Chart,” Trans. of the Society of Instruments and Control Engineers, Vol.43, No.4, pp. 317-322, 2007.
-  Y. Chen, E. Ohkawa, S. Mabu, K. Shimada, and K. Hirasawa, “A Portfolio Optimization Model Using Genetic Network Programming with Control Nodes,” Expert Systems with Aplications, Vol.36, No.7, pp. 10735-10745, 2009.
-  K. Hirasawa, T. Eguchi, J. Zhou, L. Yu, J. Hu, and S. Markon, “A Double-Deck Elevator Group Supervisory Control System Using Genetic Network Programming,” IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man and Cybertnetics, Part C, Vol.38, No.4, pp. 535-550, 2008.
-  J. H. Holland, “Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems,” Ann Arbor, University of Michigan Press, 1975.
-  J. R. Koza, “Genetic Programming, on the Programming of Computers by Means of Natural Selection,” Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 1992.
-  H. Zhou, W. Wei, K.Shimada, S. Mabu, and K. Hirasawa, “Time Related Association Rules Mining with Attributes Accumulation Mechanism and its Application to Traffic Prediction,” J. of Advanced Computational Intelligence and Intelligent Informatics, Vol.12, No.5, pp. 467-478, 2008.
-  M. L. Leibowitz, and A. Bova, “Diversification Performance and Stress-Betas,” The J. of Portfolio Management, Vol.35, No.3, pp. 41-47, 2009.
-  Y. Amihud and H. Mendelson, “Stock and Bond Liquidity and its Effect on Prices and Financial Policies,” Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, Vol.20, No.1, pp. 19-32, 2006.
-  N. Topaloglou, H. Vladimirou, and S. A. Zenios, “A dynamic stochastic programming model for international portfolio management,” European J. of Operational Research, Vol.185, No.3, pp. 1501-1524, 2008.
-  T. Chang, S. Yang, and K. Chang, “Portfolio Optimization Problems in Different Risk Measures Using Genetic Algorithm,” Expert Systems with Applications, Vol.36, Issue 7, pp. 10529-10537, 2009.
-  F. Black and R. Litterman, “Global Portfolio Optimization,” Financial Analysts Journal, Vol.48, No.5, pp. 28-43, 1992.