Intelligent Powered Wheelchair Assistance in Daily Use
Atsuhiro Nakamura*, Yasunari Fujimoto*, Osamu Nitta**,
and Toru Yamaguchi*
*Department of Information and Communications Systems Engineering, Tokyo Metropolitan University, 6-6 Asahigaoka, Hino, Tokyo 146-0091, Japan
**Department of Physical Therapy, Tokyo Metropolitan University, 7-2-10 Higashi-Oku, Arakawa-ku, Tokyo 116-8551, Japan
In answer to Japan’s rapidly aging society, whose rising number of older people mandates that care requirements for care recipients be minimized, we developed an intelligent powered wheelchair featuring four assistance functions – approach through gesture recognition, assistance in standing, walking assistance, and operational assistance through posture recognition. Experiments demonstrated the usefulness of the four assistance functions.
and Toru Yamaguchi, “Intelligent Powered Wheelchair Assistance in Daily Use,” J. Adv. Comput. Intell. Intell. Inform., Vol.14, No.3, pp. 281-287, 2010.
-  O. Nitta, I. Hashimoto, K. Inoue, and Y. Takahashi, “Developmental Research of a Power Assistance Type Handrail,” The J. of Japan Academy of Health Sciences, Vol.7, No.3, pp. 164-168, 2004.
-  D. Karibe, Y. Fujimoto, O. Nitta, and T. Yamaguchi, “Developmental Research of Intelligent Handrail applied movements of standing up,” SICE SI2007, pp. 1192-1193, 2007.
-  A. Nakamura, Y. Fujimoto, O. Nitta, and T. Yamaguchi, “Development of Intelligent Power Wheelchair Interacting for Assisting on Daily Life,” SICE SI2008, pp. 1059-1060, Dec. 5-7, 2008.
-  A. Nakamura, Y. Fujimoto, O. Nitta, E. Sato-Shimokawara, and T. Yamaguchi, “Intelligent PowerWheelchair for assistance in daily life by interaction with user,” Joint Technical Meeting on Information Processing and Information Oriented Industrial System, IEE Japan, pp. 19-22, Oct. 9, 2009.
-  E. Sato, T. Yamaguchi, and F. Harashima, “Natural Interface Using Pointing Behavior for Human-Robot Gestural Interaction,” IEEE Trans. on Industrial Electronics, Vol.54, No.2, pp. 1105-1112, 2007.
-  Y. Hirata, A. Hara, and K. Kosuge, “Passive-type Intelligent Walking Support System RT Walker,” Proc. of the 2004 IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Intelligent Robots and Systems, pp. 3871-3876, 2004.
This article is published under a Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.